Best Travel BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Mike, take a look at the Aeris Reef Rider. I got one for an ex and I loved it. It is very minimalistic for a BCD, has 25lb back inflate bladder, and you barely notice the weight integrated pockets as they don't have those goofy plastic handles right in your way. It comes with two trim pockets on the camband that are better then the XS Scuba ones I have. I want the one I bought for her back so bad; but wouldn't do that. Price is right too, check Scubatoys.

Last edited:
If weight becomes a serious issue look at the Oxycheq Ultralite Plate + 18lbs travel wing it packs pretty small and is very light. Although I believe it ends up being more expensive than what you want. I travelled with that + the other necessary gear is SE-Asia for a month and a half this winter, and really liked the setup.

A second vote for this set-up. The Ultralite plate weighs half a pound and the 18lb lift wing another 3 pounds. Add a harness with plastic fittings / rings / clip and you're looking at about 4 pounds total.

It will bust your budget, but I don't believe you'll get much better, more compact or lighter for less with anyone else...

FWIW, my complete rig set me back just over $300. Find your own webbing and fittings etc. or look at being gouged another $50-plus.

On our recent trip to Roatan we had multiple flights on different airlines with a redeye and tight connections so I figured the best thing would be to put everything including SS BP/W, fins, 3-mil shorties, mesh gear bags, lights, etc. in our carryons.

With each of us putting the bulkier stuff in a roll-on and other stuff in a small handbag, we managed to do this successfully and within the weight limits, and I was feeling very pleased with myself. Until TSA, that is.

The flight over was okay, but on our return trip the kind folks manning the scanners required me to unpack my carefully packed roll-on TWICE in the Roatan airport, and then we each had to do it all over again in Houston.

One thing you traveling folks might want to beware of: A full scuba set including an SS backplate in your carryon bag is not a guarantee of swift passage through airport security.

That's mainly why I'm looking for travel BCD's.

I was told this morning that Northeast Scuba Supply has OMS aluminum backplates for $55 with camband slots.

Pack the backplate on top of the rest of the gear -- it will simplify things.

See - I can use the search feature. :)

Anyone have experience and opinions now on the Zuma?

My wife and I are going to invest in all new gear after 20 years and we are going all travel friendly. We are diving more now that the kids are bigger and I want to use my gear instead of renting so much. I am very interested in travel regs also, but am seriously looking at the Zuma.

Thanks for any new input.

I use exclusively the Zeagle Express Tech when I dive singles locally or when travelling. While I did modify it with the ripcord weight system, it is not required when travelling especially when most charters will not only provide weights but also the belt

See - I can use the search feature. :)

Anyone have experience and opinions now on the Zuma?

My wife and I are going to invest in all new gear after 20 years and we are going all travel friendly. We are diving more now that the kids are bigger and I want to use my gear instead of renting so much. I am very interested in travel regs also, but am seriously looking at the Zuma.

Thanks for any new input.

Hi Conway,

I'm still looking. I liked TS&M's idea of just buying an AL plate, which would take 5 lbs out of my luggage, but it doesn't reduce the bulk factor much. I didn't care much for the Zuma's design (or its color) and while I like the Zeagle Express Tech, I'm not sure how the weighting works and no shop here in San Diego has one to look at.

Anyway, I'll be interested in hearing what you learn about this.

OxyCheq has a small travel SS backplate: OWB-01-04.jpg

It weighs 2.2 lbs and is made by DiveOps

Another vote for the Zeagle Express Tech - and you don't need the weight pockets

I like the versatility of my MARES Pegasus (under $300) Light for travel, a back inflate style yet enough lift for cold water. Just incase you decide to travel to No.Cali or up north. The integrated weight pouches are nice. I use sometimes, or sometimes I don't(weight belt) But its nice to have a BC that can go anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom