Best Way To Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btscott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Traveling to Anda, Bohol from San Francisco in October. Any thoughts in the best way there. I would prefer avoiding Manila and Philippine Airlines. Thinking flying to Cebu and then the ferry would be the best route.

What is wrong with Plane Always Late?
There is a airport in Tagbilaran.
A through ticket by PAL.

Manila is too crowded. Long layover. Philippine Airlines not the nicest airline.

Thinking Cathay to HK and then Cebu.

Prefer being on a ferry to waiting a long time in Manila airport. Also thought a night or 2 in Cebu would be a good way to get over jet lag.

But, maybe I've got it all wrong as I've never been to the Philippines. Which is why I am asking.

A refresher stop at Cebu is a good idea. After all it’s a vacation and some side activity to diving is always good for a more complete experience. You may have to stand in a brief queue for the ferry tickets IIRC that’s how I remember it. Don’t think the hotel can prebook your ferry ticket for you. Ask Dr. Google though My recall may be inaccurate …

Manila is too crowded. Long layover. Philippine Airlines not the nicest airline.

Thinking Cathay to HK and then Cebu.

Prefer being on a ferry to waiting a long time in Manila airport. Also thought a night or 2 in Cebu would be a good way to get over jet lag.

But, maybe I've got it all wrong as I've never been to the Philippines. Which is why I am asking.
Terminal 2 at NAIA is far more comfortable than any ferry terminal in Cebu city or the country.
A cross town taxi ride from Cebu Airport to the ferry terminal can easily take an hr or more!
There is nothing interesting in Cebu City for tourist.
If you have time to kill in Manila:

I would agree with Centrals. I would just keep life simple (and as cheap as you can) It's much easier to fly SFO to MNL and a flight to Tagbilaran. Manila is not that big of a deal and it adds a little flavor to the trip! You may not even have to spend the night depending on when you come in.

Use a different airlines then PAL if you do not like them but a non-stop of 14 hours from SFO to MNL is pretty sweet vs a round-about two or three connections and 20+ hours. I have never had an issue with PAL, but they do tend to be a bit more pricey than others.

I have been on the ferry from Cebu to Bohol. I would much rather fly there unless you are into an adventure of sorts.

Round trip economy fare by PAL from SFO to TAG in Oct is just under a grand.
I won't call it expensive at all.
For CX the fare is just over US$1,700.00. You have to get the ferry as well!

US$700.00 is lot of money in Philippines.

Round trip economy fare by PAL from SFO to TAG in Oct is just under a grand.
I won't call it expensive at all.
For CX the fare is just over US$1,700.00. You have to get the ferry as well!

US$700.00 is lot of money in Philippines.
Yes, under a grand is a great price, and a non-stop to MNL. (I am jealous) I would suggest to the OP to book that now. Airline prices have been bouncing around and increasing a lot. Personally, I have never had any crazy, horrible issues with PAL and their service. At least not in comparison with any other airline in getting to the Phils and I am usually doing it a couple times a year. A non-stop would be magic! (Maybe someday I hope from Chicago...do you hear that PAL??? :)

I can understand maybe not wanting to go to Manila, (like in my case) if you needed to go to central Luzon or Subic and could get into Clark. But avoiding Manila for a connection or even an overnight would make no sense. It really is not a big deal and there is more to do if you want to get some Filipino flavor. Cebu is a traffic mess most of the time and there is nothing to do there (if not going diving) other than see the Lapu Lapu statue!) And I have done the ferry to Bohol and definitely would fly there now that there is an airport.

We are all waiting (impatiently) for the new Clark Terminal to open up soon. That will be a game changer and make flying into the Phils so much more easier. Of course, not to mention a 1.5 hour drive from CRK ..all toll-way...to some great wreck diving! (insert shameless plug :cool:

We are all waiting (impatiently) for the new Clark Terminal to open up soon. That will be a game changer and make flying into the Phils so much more easier. Of course, not to mention a 1.5 hour drive from CRK ..all toll-way...to some great wreck diving! (insert shameless plug :cool:
Which capital or major city in SE Asia has not has a spanking new international airport terminal over last 10yrs?
Manila.
I cannot think of any other!
After the completion of the Terminal 3 in Manila, it took over 5yrs to put it into service!

Which capital or major city in SE Asia has not has a spanking new international airport terminal over last 10yrs?
Manila.
I cannot think of any other!
After the completion of the Terminal 3 in Manila, it took over 5yrs to put it into service!
Yes! It was supposed to open Jan 2021...then July 2021..than Dec 2021...then....who knows. One of our customers is an engineer with the foreign firm that built it, and pretty much on time turned over to the Filipino firms for finishing. It could be a while!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom