Beware Cochran Computers.... be very careful with Cochran

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Mares. They have given me totally wonderful support. They even sent me a free replacement when I lost the adapter to my Icon that connects the computer to the PC or charging station - no questions asked. I had only asked them how to order another one.

Cochran really doesn't design their products for Civilians.

They are designed as a rugged product for US military / NATO, plain and simple.

Mine is a couple years old and still works great.

There are always two sides to every story... hopefully Cochran will tell us their side.

I have great respect for the people at Cochran, their PDCs have a great reputation and I have heard of great service from them over the years. How old is this PDC? How long have you had it? Are you the original owner?

In nearly fifteen years of Cochran ownership (Commander, and now EMC-20), I was treated very fairly (generous trade in/up) when my first PDC went into "paperweight mode" after a long surface interval without batteries - my fault. It was one of the first computrs that would get you back if you voilated a NDL, and the main reason I bought it. Larry and the folks there have always been more than friendly and accomodating.

There are two sides to every story:
• Cochran's warranty is for two years to the original owner, although we do bend this occasionally for a customer.
• The Cochran Gemini in question was originally sold in October 2003 to a"Malcolm" for $675
• We have no records on the unit for the next ten years
• In November 2013 a "Michael" sends the unit to us for a repair quote
• We respond to "Michael" that the unit is not repairable but we will replace it for $595 and replace the worn Wrist strap and scratched lens forfree.
• We then receive an email from a "Clark" who says he is refunding"Michael’s" purchase price.
• (We can only assume that at some time "Michael" purchased the unit from "Clark", we don't know when, what condition, or for how much. We also don’t know how the unit got from the original purchaser“Malcolm” to “Clark&#8221:wink:
• We then get another email from "Clark" wanting us to ask"Michael" to pay for the repairs.
• We then see a ScubaBoard post by Sparky5149 making numerous, inflammatory,false, and libelous statements.
• Based on the evidence, we assume that Sparky5149 is actually “Clark” and he sold the ten year old unit to “Michael”.
• Also, in his latest email, “Clark” sent us a link to the Sparky5149 post and said “Enjoy the new threads you’ve started.”

While we cannot get involved in the transaction between Clark and Michael, we have made Michael aware that we will work with him.

Last edited:
There are two sides to every story:
• Cochran's warranty is for two years to the original owner, although we do bend this occasionally for a customer.
• The Cochran Gemini in question was originally sold in October 2003 to a "Malcolm" for $675
• We have no records on the unit for the next ten years
• In November 2013 a "Michael" sends the unit to us for a repair quote
• We respond to "Michael" that the unit is not repairable but we will replace it for $595 and replace the worn Wrist strap and scratched lens for free.
• We then receive an email from a "Clark" who says he is refunding "Michael’s" purchase price.
• (We can only assume that at some time "Michael" purchased the unit from "Clark", we don't know when, what condition, or for how much. We also don’t know how the unit got from the original purchaser “Malcolm” to “Clark”)
• We then get another email from "Clark" wanting us to ask "Michael" to pay for the repairs.
• We then see a ScubaBoard post by Sparky5149 making numerous, inflammatory, false, and libelous statements.
• Based on the evidence, we assume that Sparky5149 is actually “Clark” and he sold the ten year old unit to “Michael”.
• Also, in his latest email, “Clark” sent us a link to the Sparky5149 post and said “Enjoy the new threads you’ve started.”

While we cannot get involved in the transaction between Clark and Michael, we have made Michael aware that we will work with him.

I can only speak for myself, but I've been using Cochran computers for over ten years (Commander and now EMC20H). Currently have two of them. They are easy to use, big displays are easy to read underwater (important with my old eyes), reliable, and the company stands behind its products. Yeah, I have quibbles about the computer and Cochran's decision to ignore the Mac world (for the Analyst program), but on balance...a great technical computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom