big dangerous animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a new diver I have seen otters and fish and such (and looooottttsss of kelp but I always worry about if I run into a big predatory fish. I know they teach you to just stay still and if necessary swim away slowly..... but if the fish is aggressive not much you can do? Has anyone encountered any big predatory animal? If so, what happened? thanks
:depressed:

As a new diver I have seen otters and fish and such (and looooottttsss of kelp but I always worry about if I run into a big predatory fish. I know they teach you to just stay still and if necessary swim away slowly..... but if the fish is aggressive not much you can do? Has anyone encountered any big predatory animal? If so, what happened? thanks
:depressed:

Every dive...but I am not their prey and they aren't interested in me unless I am holding a freshly speared fish. With that being said, Sand Tigers aren't as aggressive as many sharks, and those are mostly what we have here.

Just dive and don't worry.

If the landlord ever wants to bite, you'll be the last to know.

Just dive and don't worry.

If the landlord ever wants to bite, you'll be the last to know.

Check out IASF 2008 World Wide Shark Attack Summary (I would post a link but as a newb I can't). And really don't worry too much. You are much more likely to be killed or injured driving to or from your dive than being attacked by a shark.

I've had close encounters with tigers and Oceanic white tips (responsible for eating more people than all other species of shark combined) and the only regret I have is that I didn't have a camera handy at the time.

The most aggressive fish I've encountered anywhere in the world is the Titan trigger fish in nesting season... they bite first and ask questions later and they never give up!

Sharks, for the most part, have a good nosey look around and then tootle off looking for something tastier to eat, which isn't made of metal and neoprene.

C.

What folks are saying here is true. Odds are you'll never have a problem with a shark, but sometimes sharks are aggressive with divers. Knowing how to act around sharks will help keep you safe.

Your best defense against sharks is to keep your wits about you. Sharks usually notice us before we notice them, then leave. When we're lucky, they ignore us and hang around so we get a good look, we rarely see them at all. Encounters with sharks that are not fun are extremely rare. You need to be aware that rare as they are, they do happen. Knowing how to react is important. Stay off the surface! Very few attacks (3.8%) on divers come from above. That's particularly significant when you consider most divers spend most of their time near the bottom. Present a stong confident image, swim gracefully, without using your hands. If you feel you're in danger at any time, swim underwater to the boat and get out of the water. Keep an eye on the shark. If a shark gets too close, yell or growl. You can't outswim the shark, so don't even try. A better option is to charge. If a shark is going for your buddy, charge it while yelling. Animals trying to swim rapidly away from a shark appear to be prey. You don't want a shark to identify you as prey. If you have to, push the shark away (or you away from the shark) or hit it on the nose or in the gills. Gills are my first choice, but sometimes you can't reach your first choice.

By the way, when you hang motionless it often brings a shark in for a closer look.

I dive with Hammerheads (have been surrounded by hundreds), Galapagos sharks, Black-tips, Silkies and White-Tipped reef sharks (which I have a hard time thinking of as sharks since they're more like big catfish) all the time. Hammerheads are scared of bubbles, so just breathing can scare them away. Galapagos sharks aren't as timid, but I have never found them to be that curious. Silkies can be a little intimidating in groups and at the surface or behind pods of dolphins which they follow to eat dolphin babies. I've never felt threatened at all and not too many places have the number of sharks we have here.

There are only a handful of species that have been known to be dangerous, so the odds are way against you needing to be afraid. I've always found it interesting that people fear sharks which can be afraid of you while the pretty little colorful (aquarium like) damselfish are the ones who don't hesitate to bite divers in their territory. The only thing I ever dive with that I find scary are the macho sea lions protecting their harem. Now, they are scary and will bite, but people think of sea lions as cute.

I've had close encounters with tigers and Oceanic white tips (responsible for eating more people than all other species of shark combined) and the only regret I have is that I didn't have a camera handy at the time.

The most aggressive fish I've encountered anywhere in the world is the Titan trigger fish in nesting season... they bite first and ask questions later and they never give up!

Sharks, for the most part, have a good nosey look around and then tootle off looking for something tastier to eat, which isn't made of metal and neoprene.

C.

My most frightening encounters have been with the trigger fish and they can be very aggressive and persistent. But fortunately, they went for my fins most of the time. The most important thing is not to panic and do the first thing that comes into your head - bolt to the top and swim for the boat. That was hard enough for myself but trying to calm a new and inexperienced diver to so was a task. :shocked2:

I've only encountered one agressive animal in the water. But that was my wife, in the jacuzzi...

Sharks, rays, barracudas... they've all just gone about their business and totally ignored me.

Back
Top Bottom