big dangerous animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main thing, as Walter said, it Don't Act Like Prey.

Don't splash around, don't run, don't turn away. Always face it, and at worst stay still but I am increasingly in agreement that moving towards the shark makes them not consider you prey.

One thing that works with some sharks is bubbles. So if a shark gets to close a blast with your octo may scare them away. However, I don't know whether that applies to Bulls, Oceanics or Tigers. Be glad if someone could advise me on that tho.

But the main thing to remember is that it's a privileged experience. Diving with sharks is the best thing in the world as far as I'm concerned. If it happens, just smile and enjoy (and don't look like prey :D)

J

I've only encountered one agressive animal in the water. But that was my wife, in the jacuzzi...

This is completely true.

Does anyone know whether a blast of an Octo will make the great missus terrificus go away?

This is completely true.

Does anyone know whether a blast of an Octo will make the great missus terrificus go away?

I sure hope not!
Besides, there's so many bubbles in the jacuzzi, I doubt she'd notice the octo...

Agree with Walter's post - although I have never charged a shark and I think it would require some failry hefty cajones to swim at something the size of a bus that might be trying to defend its personal space - the unknown of course is just how anxious the animal might be to get stuck into a fight. A recent article I read suggested a female Bull shark - unlike most species - will aggressively defend her pups, which might explain some unprovoked attacks on divers who may have inadvertently strayed into the area. I would not like to argue with Mrs. Bull Shark any more that Mrs. Dirty-Dog!

The Triggerfish attack for the same reason during nesting season. You'll probably never see the nest, but they don't care, the just get stuck in. It's quite entertaining to watch, but they can inflict some nasty bites if they get past the fins.

When people ask what to do in that situation - well - backpedal and kick as hard as you can; I'd go so far as to suggest trying to give a good right hook. I'm all for passively observing the wildlife, but if something is trying to tear a chunk out of me, sorry, I'm gonna fight back!!

Save diving, watch out for the big scary monsters, (and Mrs. Dirty-Dog) :D

Crowley

I've posted this before but just for fun, this is me and a large predatory fish (Oceanic White Tip). Please note the way it is completely failing to eat me, and also the way that I am completely failing to see it lurking behind me! :D

Attachments

• longimanus3.jpg
    longimanus3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 96
As a new diver I have seen otters and fish and such (and looooottttsss of kelp but I always worry about if I run into a big predatory fish. I know they teach you to just stay still and if necessary swim away slowly..... but if the fish is aggressive not much you can do? Has anyone encountered any big predatory animal? If so, what happened? thanks
:depressed:

Up close like this?

3125968275_b8209dcd31.jpg

Dan has a good article about sharks and divers, it is very informative.
Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles

Sharks are skiddish and don't look at you as prey. They come close enough to see if you are interesting then usually move on. Some species are more curious and some aggressive. It's always good to understand some basic signals when they are a bit aggitated. The best thing is to become uninteresting by either getting closer to the reef/bottom and just stop finning. They will usually pass by. For me, I welcome their presence and just swim along with them in awe of their magnificance.

Carolyn:shark2:

Crowley:
Agree with Walter's post - although I have never charged a shark and I think it would require some failry hefty cajones to swim at something the size of a bus that might be trying to defend its personal space

First, the necessity if charging a shark is extremely rare. If it happens, you know the shark can easily take you regardless of what you do. You are scared, extremely scared. No matter what you do, you're scared. Swimming toward an agressive shark is no worse than swimming away. If the shark is going to eat you either way, you've shortened your life by a second. The thing is you haven't shortened your life, you've extended it. When you charge, a charging shark cuts off its charge. It may or may not make another charge, be ready to charge again. Shark attacks on divers are extremely rare. They are rare on swimmers. They are rarer on divers, but they do happen. When they do, charging can save a diver's life.

To the OP. There is only one real animal out there that is a danger to a SCUBA diver. That is the SCUBA diver themselves.

A small list of what injures or kills SCUBA divers is:

* diving beyond training and/or experience
* poorly maintained equipment, including the diver themselves
* unfamiliarity with local conditions

Other please chime in here.

You are very fortunate to see large animals in the natural habitat.

Thanks to Peter Benchley, we as a society have a very scary and negative image of sharks in particular.

Come over here to the East Coast and dive some wrecks off of NC where you are virtually guaranteed to see some sharks or head down to Florida when the Lemons sharks arrive in droves.

It's worth mentioning that after Spielberg's film (which was what drew the masses, not the book), Peter Benchley invested a lot of his own money in the direction of conservation, after he realised the damage that was done by the Jaws movies.

Sharks are the singularly most impressive creatures I have ever been in the presence of, and I agree, they are of minimal danger to scuba divers. I have met more agressive Clownfish than sharks, which says a lot for Finding Nemo. Okay that's a kid's cartoon, but from a young age, people are being taught that sharks are big bad meanies, when nothing could be further from the truth, even if sharks are big toothy monsters, and clownfish are cute little orange things.

Note for Walter - I practiced my shark charging today by aggressively staring down a clownfish... I feel I have to work up to charging Tigers! :D

C.

Walter: Believe the concept of charging the shark is the right approach, based on docus I've watched, comparative size is one of the determining factors in sharks interaction, so it is likely, that a shark smaller than you will yield if charged. If the shark is significantly bigger than you, going towards it will probably at least surprise the animal, who knows, as you said, if that shark decides, it wants you, charging or trying to run won't make a difference. Re staying off the surface during a shark encounter, acc. to attack stats a good idea, but what do you do as a snorkeldiver w/limited bottom time? Had only one very distant encounter(65-70ft) at about 30ft depth, went still as soon as I noticed the animal, and the shark, even though it must have seen me, swam a few feet towards me and veered off. Since at this point I was pretty much near my time limit, I have no idea, what I would or could have done, other than surfacing, if the shark had decided to take a closer look. Any advice for all the folks without a tank??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom