big dangerous animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People new to diving always worry about two things - sharks and morays. Most people that suffer injuries get them from Fire Coral, Bristle worms, Sea Urchins and jellyfish or things you usually ignore. I wouldn't trust an Oceanic Whitetip and I really don't trust Green Head Morays (Hawaiian) Green Heads with Mottled Brown bodies. These guys are nasty but the chances of being bitten or injuried are the same odds as winning Mega millions. The chances of getting hurt by Fire Coral, Bristle worms, Sea Urchins and jellyfish are probably 1 in 50. You will usually see at least one diver on the boat get stung by something. You are blessed when you get the chance to see a apex predator in it's natural environment so enjoy the moment.

totally agree! I was just in Roatan for a week and got nailed 3 times by jellyfish. Yes I should have listened to the dive leader and bought a bottle of Sea Safe. I learned my lesson!

roguetrixie:
if the people on the boat weren't sure what was going on why didn't they come over to check out if everything was ok?

After my distress signal, I descended to meet the sharks' charge. Tracy wanted confirmation of distress. She signalled OK. I was no longer on the surface to respond with another distress signal as I had to get underwater before the sharks reached us.

Dario was truly unaware that our lives were in danger. Having no previous experience with sharks, he didn't know that jerky movements, arched backs and repeated charges were signs we were in serious trouble. Furthermore, he saw that Jim and I were calm. We were calm, but were both very much afraid. Dario returned the OK signal. Tracy then thought she had originally misunderstood my distress signal.

roguetrixie:
Better safe than sorry.

They know that now. It was simply a matter of inexperience. We all live and learn.

I've done 2 shark dives with Caribbean reefs, and seen a few nurse sharks none of whom had any interest in me. The one nurse shark I saw in Cozumel was upside down in a coral formation trying to catch a little fish. There were also 2 big grouper trying to get at the same fish and a green eel. Not sure if eels eat fish? It was better than watching tv! Good thing that was the end of my dive because I was sucking thru my air so fast with excitement!

I love sharks and have much respect for them.

If only more people loved them as much as you do trixie!

My standard response when people ask: "what do we do if we see a shark"...?

Take photos, you might never see another one in your life! :D

C.

Yes, I understand and share your enthusiasm, sharks are absolutely beautiful and magnificent, but this answer,especially for people with only basic shark knowledge("sharkweek watchers"), will not help in putting them at ease. I'd like to believe, your actual approach to addressing questions re potentially dangerous marine life is a little more educational and informative.

mrbeast1414 if you happen to see a shark cruising by, just enjoy the amazing experience. Chances are it will an truly unforgettable moment. If you do feel uncomfortable, just slowly make your way back to the boat, and keep your eyes on the shark. If it did charge, I hope I could get the nerve to charge it back. I don't think apex predators are used to being challenged, and it might confuse it. But that's waaaaayyyyyy easier said then done.

When I saw this girl, the only thing between us was 30 feet of water. We didn't act like prey and just observed her. She seemed a little curios also, but never aggressive. We just tried to take as many photos as possible. One of my all time favourite moments.

When I saw this girl, the only thing between us was 30 feet of water. We didn't act like prey and just observed her. She seemed a little curios also, but never aggressive. We just tried to take as many photos as possible. One of my all time favourite moments.
Where was that photo taken, and just how big was she? Curious minds want to know.

It was at Guadalupe island. I'm not sure the exact size but somewhere around 15 feet.

Back
Top Bottom