big dangerous animals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been in the water with bull sharks, tiger sharks, great white sharks, and silvertip sharks. Never had any of them interested in eating me.

People new to diving always worry about two things - sharks and morays. Most people that suffer injuries get them from Fire Coral, Bristle worms, Sea Urchins and jellyfish or things you usually ignore. I wouldn't trust an Oceanic Whitetip and I really don't trust Green Head Morays (Hawaiian) Green Heads with Mottled Brown bodies. These guys are nasty but the chances of being bitten or injuried are the same odds as winning Mega millions. The chances of getting hurt by Fire Coral, Bristle worms, Sea Urchins and jellyfish are probably 1 in 50. You will usually see at least one diver on the boat get stung by something. You are blessed when you get the chance to see a apex predator in it's natural environment so enjoy the moment.

The danger animals pose to you is almost in inverse proportion to their size. More people die from bee stings than lions, tigers, sharks, gators and bears in the US.

Also think of what a diver looks like to a big fish. From my reading a shark usually needs to be very large to even think of attacking a person like over 12'. Attacks on divers are very rare unless the diver has been a dern fool and has been poking the shark. Also remember what divers look like to a shark. I am 6' tall. I get to add 3' for my fins. So now I am 9' long. I also have a BC which makes me look a lot bigger. I have a metal tank on my back and I am blowing bubbles. If it takes a 12' shark to normally even think of attacking a 6' person, it would probably take a 16' shark to even think of attacking me in scuba gear. There just are not that many sharks that big out there. Also, I bet look really odd to a shark and not a bit tasty. If I were a shark, I would look for something else.

When we discuss sharks in California it is always the Great White Shark. If you are on the surface then that is your most vulnerable time. Underwater they are not known for attacking. They also stay out of the kelp so you are safe there. Really sharks here in CA are a non issue, and like the OP I to dive in the Red Triangle. Here is a great video on diving the Farallon's called Devil's Teeth.

[youtubehq]OfyVbqS7W-M[/youtubehq]

Code Monkey:
Never had any of them interested in eating me.

At 499 dives, I could say that too. Heck at 1704 dives I could say that. At 1705 dives, I could no longer say that.

PatW:
From my reading a shark usually needs to be very large to even think of attacking a person like over 12'. Attacks on divers are very rare unless the diver has been a dern fool and has been poking the shark. Also remember what divers look like to a shark. I am 6' tall. I get to add 3' for my fins. So now I am 9' long. I also have a BC which makes me look a lot bigger. I have a metal tank on my back and I am blowing bubbles. If it takes a 12' shark to normally even think of attacking a 6' person, it would probably take a 16' shark to even think of attacking me in scuba gear.

An 8 ft Bull Shark is very large. Bulls are often considered one of the, if not the, most dangerous of all sharks to humans. While shark attacks of any kind are rare, they do happen and not just from 12 ft and larger sharks. A 12 ft shark can bite a person in half. A much smaller shark can easily kill a person and they sometimes do. Attacks on divers are even rarer than attacks on swimmers, but they also take place and not just by 16 ft and larger sharks. I wonder what you've been reading. I think you need better material.

We've seen a fair number of sharks, but had only one encounter that was a problem. We were snorkeling in blue water with whales and there were usually Oceanic Whitetips hanging out near them. (Not a great white, but not one of your better sharks to mess with either.) We suspect it was attracted by the sound or electrical field of my husbands camera strobes, because there were at least a dozen people in the water and he was the only one approached. It approached twice, was hit on the nose on each approach by said camera, before it went away. Swimming away would definitely have been a much worse idea than staring it down and bopping it.

Now Titan Triggerfish, they're nuts. I've only had one encounter where one came after me in a major way, and it did NOT follow the rules about defending a cone shaped area above the nest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom