Big Mistake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, since the thread was closed all night, it gave me the opportunity to think about it a bit.

I have a theory on why people do this... Wanna hear it?

I think that people see "risks" that are involved in extreme activities... Whether you're breathing underwater or riding motorcycles, there's a slightly elevated risk, as compared to the person that doesn't do these things. Those people who also do these activities occassionally see a comrade pay a painful price... Whether it's getting fingers shortened or having a bike accident or just overstaying an NDL... And they want to believe that it won't happen to them. They want to believe that they're immune to it. They want a concrete reason why they'll never get shortened or go down or overstay. So they begin to give reasons... "Well, *I* would never work on my own bike." "Well, you were stupid for trusting your computer." "Well, I *always* look both ways before proceeding through a green light, just to be sure nobody's running a red." You know. Yadda-yadda.

And it goes on.

So I don't really think that people's attitude... Or eople's "anger" as someone more accurately put it... Has anything to do with me. They're trying to figure out WHY it will never happen to them.

...And when I say to them, "I DID take precautions, and it STILL happened..." Well, they get really angry about it and view me as defensive. I believe that their anger stems really from the fact that they keep putting down this "safety net" feeling for themselves when they tell me what I SHOULD have done (and why it will never happen to them) and I keep yanking it out from underneath them.

Taken to the extreme, they get all flustered and call me "stupid" or "uneducated" or "an accident waiting to happen."

Well, I'm not stupid, that's for sure. And while I can't claim that I'm not "uneducated" (there's always someone with more), I can tell you that at least I KNOW that I don't know. That's why I asked a week earlier. These people who simply say things like, "Dive within your training," and "Dive safe" are only pointing out the obvious. What they don't know is that those things aren't going to keep them safe, either. Those things aren't going to guarantee anything.

...And I'd rather know how to handle a mistake... Recognize it, share it, understand it, play with it, and figure out how not to make that mistake again... Than just deny that it could happen to me.

Anyway, that's my theory... Which may or may not be correct.

MikeS

The first couple of posts I ment to offer another view other than the obvious and truly ment well. At times we all make mistakes, yes even I do as well. You see the symptoms and get the easy part but do we don't always see the bigger picture.

I wrecked my car. It was a 78 Vet, classic was in almost mint shape. I don't think I did any thing wrong with my driving. I wasn't speeding, cutting in and out of lanes or tailgating. I didn't hit anyone else.

I had a red mini van pull out in front of me then lock up the brakes 50 yds further down the road. Most would say I wasn't at fault one of the witness said that there wasn't antthing else I could have done. The lady driveing the van first words to me were I hope I didn't cause this. I swerved to miss the mini-van the back end slid out hit the curb and through the front end off the road. The grass was wet and I slide into a tel pole.

Why was this my fault. I was Impatient, wanted to get out from behind this car. I looked back to check my blind spots and didn't see her break until it was to late. Had I been more patient I would have been watching and would have had enough time to brake and stop behind her.

So what does this have to do with SeaJay? I think he's not looking at the whole picture

MikeS no need to apologize. The last post I was poking at him a bit because I viewed his comments as sarcastic and hateful

Geek

GeekDiver once bubbled...

So since you intend for us to learn, what is the lesson we should take from your experiance? Plese let me know so we can clear that up as well.

If it was that we should plan our dive and dive our plan or that we should be familure and understand how our eq works before diving with it. Thanks, but I learned that in PADI BOW class, but your right most don't catch that part in training and have to learn the hard way like you did.

Yeah, I learned that in PADI BOW class too.

I think that the object of my post was to demonstrate it... To give it a touch of realism and trueness that goes beyond the simple words of, "Plan the dive and dive the plan."

There was also a lot to be said about where to "turn" the dive... Not at all what I learned in any of my classes, and not what I learned from the owner's manual of the computer.

At least you survived to tell the story and stress the importance.

Yeah. Thanks.

While it's true that this situation could have had very serious ramifications, let's not lose touch with the reality... I overstayed my NDL by less than five minutes.

That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

I did not have an OOA. I did not have an emergency swimming ascent. I did not get bent, and I did not suffer any injuries. At no time was I "out of control," and at no time was I "near death." Let's keep this in perspective... I overstayed my NDL.

I would compare it to overshooting a turn in a car. It was potentially lethal... But the reality of it was that I knew I might overshoot a little, and I accepted that risk and managed it. I gave it a shot... Now I know what it's like. And I thought I'd share... That is, if y'all are interested.

Just don't throw things at me for it, please. :D

As far as the world record what is the goal and reason behind it. Let us all know so we can't twist or misunderstand that as well

Okay. Here's the reason that I was talking about:

"Why? Well...

When I was a child I dreamed of the day when my name would be in the Guiness Book of World Records. I just KNEW that by this time in my life I'd be in there, for having flown the highest, dove the deepest, or gone the fastest. I wanted to be just like Jacques Cousteau or Craig Breedlove or the Rutan brothers. They were my heros. They challenged themselves and their surroundings and used ingenuity, hard work, technological advances, and plain ol' guts to fly higher, go faster, and stay longer than anyone else had ever done before.

I want to be with those guys. I want to surround myself with people who challenge themselves to do what others cannot or will not do. I want to find a worthwhile challenge and meet it. I want to invent a dream and achieve it. To me, the success of a dream is really what life is all about.

You want a more in-depth answer? Read, "Wake Up and Dream" by Dexter Yager.

You want a simpler answer? "Because I can dream it."

You want a more concrete answer? "This is only a testbed for the REAL world record." (Wait'll y'all get a load of the next dream!)"

Hate that for your vette. I am partial to the 69 model myself. But hay a "vintage vette is a vintage vette."

SeaJay, I have a question.

Did your DM have a spare air on the trip? I know when we planned dives with the Scuba Club we required the DM to have a spare air on the anchor line in the event of an emergency. This was the very same DM. You didn't mention if the LDS and DM left this detail out. This would have helped in that you would not have run out of an air source. That detail the DM should not have left out. Just wondering.

R

Yeah, your story made me cringe, Geek. I'm sorry that happened to you.

RavenC once bubbled...
SeaJay, I have a question.

Did your DM have a spare air on the trip? I know when we planned dives with the Scuba Club we required the DM to have a spare air on the anchor line in the event of an emergency. This was the very same DM. You didn't mention if the LDS and DM left this detail out. This would have helped in that you would not have run out of an air source. That detail the DM should not have left out. Just wondering.

R

No. There were no extra spare airs or stages or deco bottles or hang tanks at all.

If I recall properly, we did have a couple of extra tanks sitting around, but no, they were not in the water.

That could have been another solution, really... A tank hanging at 15'...

SeaJay,

I never ment to "throw things at you" and think we just got off to a bad start with a few misunderstandings. I mentioned the car because on the surface the obvious was that the lady made a mistake that cost me my car. The big picture was my attatude while driving.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to set a record or push limits. It only when our desire and strive and excell takes us beyond what we know to be safe outside of reasonable bounds. Yes you managed the problem and didn't get hurt.

You answered my concerned as to an EGO problem in your last post when you said you took a risk, understood the danger behind that risk and was prepaired to manage that risk. Had you taken the risk not knowing the danger or prepaired to manage the problem then I would say your ego was out of check with reality. This was my concern and view as the bigger picture the lesson that shold be learned.

RavenC Thanks for the comments about the vette. My next dream car I want is a 78-80 model 308 Ferrari.

See SeaJay, I have a bit of an EGO as well. When it comes to cars I have to remind myself where my limits are from time to time.

I've got a '67 sitting in the backyard right now with 28,000 original miles on it. It's not mine, though...

I grew up with the cars. It's hard to get used to anything else after that.

Nice to meet you, Geek. :D

Sorry I called you "clueless." :(

No problem, it's hard to read emotions when it's in text.

I have the same problem. My Father in-law's neighbor has a red hardtop 67 w/327 4 speed, factory air and knock off spinners and a one owner car only. It's all org and been parked since 72'. The reverse lockout broke on it so she quit driving it. I've tried to buy it but she won't sell and I haven't had enough cash to change her mind.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Thanks, Mike.

You're welcome; although I must confess my selfish motive. I just hated to see one of the few threads on ScubaBoard that actually discussed diving turn into a Genesis Class debate/argument.

Hey, no blood, no foul!

Mike

P.S. Fancy little cars are for girly-men, real men drive pickup trucks!:D

MikeS once bubbled...

P.S. Fancy little cars are for girly-men, real men drive pickup trucks!:D

Heheheee...

I'm sellin' my BMW Z3 and buying a pickup... Think it'll help my ego? Just kidding. :D

Heheheeee... "Genesis-class debate." Funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom