Blackbeard’s – Certainly Not For Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I was on the same boat the week of Dec 4th, and had a totally different experience. For one thing we only had 16 divers, so the space was not as cramped. Actually the space was about right for the amount of divers, and with a full boat I can see where people would be tripping over themselves. The divers consisted of 5 couples and 6 single divers, and all but 5 were over 40. Sleeping was not a problem after the AC was fixed. Of course I can sleep just about anywhere, and did take power naps lying on the benches, on the air compressor and on the crew gear locker. I actually slept better on the boat than I did when I took a contingent of scouts to Philmont, NM.

Both our crossings were uneventful, no sickness, with 4-6 foot swells. It was actually pretty nice to just lay back and watch the stars. Our only bad day weatherwise was the last dive day when we had some fairly strong currents which were rocking the boat pretty good, and the visibility decreased from 80 feet to 20 feet. We did vote to cancel the last dive and spent the rest of the day beachcombing and swinging off the side of the boat.

The Sea Explorer is the oldest boat in the Blackbeards fleet and could definitly use a major refit. We did have some mechanical problems with the compressors and were without AC for 2 days. This was a major pain in the rear especially since my bunk was in the galley and this area gets rather warm when meals are prepared. However, the crew was working as hard as they could on the problem and did eventually get the AC up and running again. The worst thing was the beer was warm during this time, so I had to rely on the rum punch for evening fluid replacement.

The diving was all great, except for the last day. Everyone was allowed to dive their own profile and you were expected to be a responsible diver. There were occasions when my buddy and I would signal each other about the boat location, but using our navigation skills we were always able to return to the boat with ease. I don't recall anyone having to be picked up with the dinghy. We did have dives with a moderate current and if you planned your dive correctly you could have a nice drift back to the mooring.

Would I do a Blackbeards again? Without a doubt. Since I am in Georgia and can drive to Miami, it was a relatively inexpensive way to do a liveaboard.

I've been on four Blackbeards cruises and loved 'em all.
Rick

The on off board isn't really used as "the final check" to make sure they don't leave someone in the water. It's the tank count. If one is missing, they ain't moving. This is the real check as confirmed in a conversation with one of the captain a few years back. I don't think I would call that casual. Tanks don't speak for other people as most of us have witnessed. All of the other methods I have seen are no where near as reliable.

DandyDon:
(5) They were very causal about confirming everyone was on board before moving. The boats have On & Off boards for each passenger to move name tags, but that was a joke. Mostly they went by tank counts and causal dockside head counts.

Definitely give it another try. Maybe not the same time of the year as the weather can get quite rough. Then again, the weather can turn out pretty nice.

DandyDon:
Would I go again? Oh, yeah probably? I can get cheaper planes and much better weekend boats in Southern California in the summer, tho, and better land based diving deals with comfortable hotels many other places, so only time will tell. Personal experience has given me an even better idea of what to expect.

I went on the Pirates Lady in November and had a great time. It was an adventure. The Captain (Jay) and the crew ( Nick, Tim, Jack, Brandon, Christie, Mary)were a lot of fun and wanted to make sure we enjoyed ourselves.

I am planning to go again in a few months.

Yes there was the occasional person that had to get a dingy ride, but I blame that on the divers, if you can't navigate, stick close to the boat. There is plenty to see near the mooring. Yes there were down currents over the walls, but you have to keep your wits about you.

I was lucky, everyone on the boat got along great. There were a few times that the weather didn't cooperate, so we didn't dive. Nobody moaned that the paid for X dives and were going to get them in, hell or high water. That was nice. I enjoyed the social part of it, you really couldn't hide too much and that gets people talking, swapping stories etc.

The trip is what you make of it. Don, I will bet you will go back. I will also bet there is a different adventure every time, and that's the best part.

Did you like it or not? Don't hold anything back just to be polite?

I've done Blackbeard's and will do it again!

I did Blackbeards and loved it. Yes, the bunks are small but the crew is great, food damn good, and the diving excellent. For the money spent it is a great deal. I guess you can put this 40 year old in the "young folks" category 'cuz I had fun!

Blackbeard's web site give good info on the FAQs page. What to expect, conditions, what to bring. Read and digest it and you will have a good idea of the trip. I will return again in fall, 2005.

Dan Gibson:
The on off board isn't really used as "the final check" to make sure they don't leave someone in the water. It's the tank count. If one is missing, they ain't moving. This is the real check as confirmed in a conversation with one of the captain a few years back. I don't think I would call that casual. Tanks don't speak for other people as most of us have witnessed. All of the other methods I have seen are no where near as reliable.

The three previous times I have been out with them, If they were doing tank counts it didn't show. All the crews I have been out with used the board and did a hard tagret visual before we went on our merry way.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Don. My Girlfriend and I were on the Morning Star for the new years cruise and we had a really good time.... Once we actually got moving. The gulf stream was being tempermental like Don mentioned so we didn't leave till it had calmed down. Even then it was a hellacious trip. I spent it on deck hugging the seat and puking for 7 hours (next time I'll try medication!) while my girlfriend and a bunch of others spent their time in the "morgue" which was what the Salon got nicknamed. Almost everyone got sick going across including the Capt. so we knew it was a rough one. We lost the main sail on the crossing about 1/2 way through and had to rely on the jib. This was our first cruise with Blackbeard's and it was really a lot of fun. We had a full boat with 24 passengers and 6 crew. It was the first day for the crewmate Trevor and he had as much fun as we did. The man overboard drill that the captain put him through on day 6 was a riot. Everyone on the boat was great. 14 or so people from Iowa of all places were onboard and one of them was getting certified during the trip. Way to go Stacy! We didn't get in as much diving as everyone would have liked due to losing a day because of the gulf stream and then having to race the tide in for new years in Bimini but everyone seemed pleased with what we did manage. I can't mention enough how helpful and just plain friendly the crew was. Even with the repairs that were needed and the broken shower for the last 2 days everyone was just happy to be there and have a good time. My girlfriend and I were suprised at the bunks. There was a lot more room then we expected and we both thought that they were really comfortable. Of course she talked Grayson out of one of his goose down pillows so she go to use that for the whole trip too and was extra comfortable.

All in all I'd say that this trip is exactly what they advertise. You're there to go diving and they take you diving to some really great spots. The cook Red just plain rocked and we were never hungry EVER. MY girlfriend started telling him that he needed to stop cooking because she was going to gain too much weight. It's definitely an adventure at sea and something that my girlfriend and I wouldn't hesitate to do again. I really think that the chemistry between everyone on board is what makes or breaks the trip. We had a great group of people most of them being early twenties. A few 30yr olds (myself included) and one or two late 40 folks. I can't mention enough how great the crew was. Capt's Chris and Grayson, Engineer Ed with his laugh, Dive Mistress Karen, Cook "Large Animal" Red, and the FNG Trevor were all really really great. My girlfriend who was terrified of sharks did the shark dive with the help of Karen and Trevor and now she really likes Sharks. Thanks a ton to the entire crew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom