Blackbeard’s – Certainly Not For Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably won't seem them counting. It's not apparent unless you ask about it. I can assure you they do count tanks.

The board is always used, but the problem is the divers don't utilize it like they should. It is primarily used when you put into port. Leaving someone on land because they failed to show up on time is better than leaving them in the water.

RIDIVER501:
The three previous times I have been out with them, If they were doing tank counts it didn't show. All the crews I have been out with used the board and did a hard tagret visual before we went on our merry way.

True, but it seems to me to be about the best method out there. It doesn't take participation on the diver's part which is where most systems seem to fail. That is why I favor this method. Of course, a boat that goes out and comes back in each day with a different number of divers and tanks on each run probably won't have good luck with tank counting.

RIDIVER501:
I gues bottomline it doesn't matter how they keep track of the divers as long as they are able too and whatever method is sucessful

Dan Gibson:
True, but it seems to me to be about the best method out there. It doesn't take participation on the dive\0\0???K\0\0\0\0??0wwhere most systems seem to fail. That is why I favor this method. Of course, a boat that goes out and comes back in each day with a different number of divers and tanks on each run probably won't have good luck with tank counting.

I did not see it that way. The crew always did a roll call while double checking the on/off board. And like I said if they were doing that in conjunction with the alleged tank count I don't see how you can say a diver calling out "here" when thier name is called being no diver participation.

"funny the gibson boys are having a disagreement here...but just a coincidence we aren't related."

A diver calling out "here" isn't always the diver asked to reply "here". That's where the problem lies. Another diver believes they just saw the person below deck so they answer "here" for them and believes they are doing them a favor. Boards can fail as well as someone handles the other persons tag for them. The on/off board was really abused when I went because the diver doesn't actually take the tag with them on the dive. It's participation, just not the participation that's expected by the crew, thus making it flawed. I was guilty of it (board use) as were just about every other diver on both trips.

They always did the roll call and board thing when I was on board. They just made sure they didn't leave the dive site until all tanks were accounted for. I believe whoever is handling the boat was responsible to verify. It wasn't always up to the DM.

RIDIVER501:
I did not see it that way. The crew always did a roll call while double checking the on/off board. And like I said if they were doing that in conjunction with the alleged tank count I don't see how you can say a diver calling out "here" when thier name is called being no diver participation.

"funny the gibson boys are having a disagreement here...but just a coincidence we aren't related."

Don has no room to make any navigation skills comments.... :wink:

must have been a problem with the crew you had becuase the crews I have been out with didn't accept someone "Rogering" for some one else.

But then again I wasn't on your trip(s) and you weren't on mine.

it could very well be that we are both right here. You for your experience and me for mine.

underlying is the fact that we both seem to agree about how it should be done. It is the execution that doesn't always go as smoothly as planned.

It could have been the crew, but our captain back than was Steve "Not Slack" Clark. He is no longer there. He was probably the hardest captain on the crew of any of their captains. Very strict. He was a great captain and was nice if you got to know him. Blackbeards and he separated a few years ago when he refused to set sail in bad weather. The other two boats went out and had problems. He refused and the company had to put people up in hotels from what I was told. He just would not take chances.

On a liveaboard, the crew gets to know the divers fairly well, so rogering for others should be caught by an alert crew member. On one day trips, rogering for others could be a real problem. There has to be something to this. Otherwise, you would never hear about people being left in the water.

RIDIVER501:
must have been a problem with the crew you had becuase the crews I have been out with didn't accept someone "Rogering" for some one else.

But then again I wasn't on your trip(s) and you weren't on mine.

it could very well be that we are both right here. You for your experience and me for mine.

underlying is the fact that we both seem to agree about how it should be done. It is the execution that doesn't always go as smoothly as planned.

dwright:
Don has no room to make any navigation skills comments.... :wink:
Thanks for your comments. It is sad to be not be perfect, but then - you are one of the few here who are, I think. Must feel pretty special, huh?

"rogering"?- I take it this is a naval term for replying for someone else?- It also has another meaning in england- does it mean that here too?

Back
Top Bottom