Blackthorn Sheridan Tamp Advanced??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting conflicting information on the experience level of the Blackthorn (near Tampa )
All the websites say it is advanced.
But the dive charter we called says its okay for beginners.
Any and all discussion appreciated.

It's not particularly advanced in my opinion. It's 75' deep and it's very rare to have significant current on those wrecks. It might be better described as "for the experienced OW diver" as I wouldn't take a diver fresh from class out there and expect them to dive on their own.

I have only been certified since last summer. Most of my dives are quarry or springs in North Florda, and I have done several shore dives.

Around here most charters only take OW divers to 45-50ish, even tho 60' is the OW cert depth. The average AOW charter stays in less than 100' even tho 130 is the general cert depth. Pure and simple, if you are going out with a charter they should require you to be advance certified. If they do not I would be concerned that they do not care about safty protacols, and are risking their own lively hood. If a Capt knowingly puts some one in water deeper than that persons training, I would think that 1. their insureance is not going to cover squat, 2. they are opening themselves up to lawsuits. That is just my personal opinon.

That being said, I agree 100% with Deepstops. This is a basic wreck dive, at a max depth of 73-78' depending on the tide. Although there are places that you can penatrate, you should only do so if you are trained for it. There is Plenty here to see without going in either wreck.

Tanks-a-lot dive charters in Clearwater has runs out to these sites multiple times a month. I don't think they require you to be an advanced diver to do them, just Open water. Your open water cert is for the full spectrum of recreational diving, with the caveat that it recommends you stay above 60'. I have not dove the Sheridan or the blackthorn yet, but do plan to, I do believe that mike, who operates tanks-a-lot dive charters would not purposefully put anybody in danger or jeopardize his livelihood.

You also might want to look into diving the RJ thompson, it is a wreck in the gulf and many charter captain know of it. It is only in approx 65fsw.

Around here most charters only take OW divers to 45-50ish, even tho 60' is the OW cert depth. The average AOW charter stays in less than 100' even tho 130 is the general cert depth. Pure and simple, if you are going out with a charter they should require you to be advance certified. If they do not I would be concerned that they do not care about safty protacols, and are risking their own lively hood. If a Capt knowingly puts some one in water deeper than that persons training, I would think that 1. their insureance is not going to cover squat, 2. they are opening themselves up to lawsuits. That is just my personal opinon.

That being said, I agree 100% with Deepstops. This is a basic wreck dive, at a max depth of 73-78' depending on the tide. Although there are places that you can penatrate, you should only do so if you are trained for it. There is Plenty here to see without going in either wreck.

I see your point, but I've dived with several AOW divers that I wouldn't snorkel in a bathtub with. Certification isn't really a proxy for experience. This is somewhat of a tangential argument, but by comparison - is a fresh out of class AOW diver any better than a fresh out of class OW diver? Too much undeserved recognition is often granted to that certification level.

My advice to the OP would be to find a guide if you're not sure. Personally, if I'm heading somewhere I've never been I try to take someone that's been before and knows the lay of the land.

I am getting conflicting information on the experience level of the Blackthorn (near Tampa )
All the websites say it is advanced.
But the dive charter we called says its okay for beginners.
Any and all discussion appreciated.

I personally don't consider the Sheridan/Blackthorn an advanced dive. If you went into the wreck itself you may be in over your head...no pun intended. But to simply swim around at 80-90' feet is simply beginners rules. Stay within the chart time, do 3 min. safety stop. Don't go deco! As far as, some saying yes-advanced. Some say no. I think it is up to your comfort level, and strengths/weaknesses as a diver. Everyone is different with what they can deal with, the logistics of the dive are the same, but the person themselves is what changes. Just keep in mind the further down you go on normal recreational diving, the less time you have down there. The dive is nice, interesting enough, but the fish are the same. Can see the same stuff in 40-60 ft. of water, just try different spots. That and you get to stay down a lot longer.

In Cozemel, Mexico you swim the ledge at 90'. It drops off to 3000+ on the same ledge. Could easily make a mistake and go to far down in that scenario. It is about paying attention to yourself and your dive buddy. Know your gear, your limits, and yourself.

All my opinion - Just my thoughts!

Sincerely,

Diver Foxtail

I see your point, but I've dived with several AOW divers that I wouldn't snorkel in a bathtub with.

I agree with this 100%. I was just trying to maybe clearify why the person that started the thread was reading that this is considered an "advance" dive. I myself dove the pride as a OW diver. I only recently got my advance and now getting my rescue as I have decided to go for my DM.

Any speculation I made refering to Dive charters and certification requirements was just that "speculation" as I am not really experianced with charters as I have always owned my own boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom