Blue Angel Staff Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to jump to conclusions, but I am quick to revise my conclusions as more information becomes available.

However, in this case after reading the posts here, it is obvious to me that the client list was "borrowed" from BA without permission.

What bothers me the most is that Jeanie used, what appears to be, property of Blue Angel Dive shop to send the email. My email address was given to Blue Angel as part of my various reservations -- it was not given to Jeanie personally. Obviously, if she acquired my email through some other method where I've made my email public that is fine, but if she used the list of previous Blue Angel reservations as her source, that alone would keep from trying the new shop, as I find that pretty unethical.

This.

I got the same email, and didn't connect the dots to Blue Angel until I read this thread. I've emailed Blue Angel (obviously!) in the past but I don't remember if it was a discussion I had with Jeanie or someone else. I'll have to check when I get home.

I got the same e-mail. In most US states, an employee taking an employer's non-public client list to solicit clients for her own business would be liable for theft of trade secrets. Even a part owner who so used a client list upon leaving would likely be liable for breach of fiduciary duties unless it was done pursuant to an agreement with the other owners.

I got the same e-mail. In most US states, an employee taking an employer's non-public client list to solicit clients for her own business would be liable for theft of trade secrets. Even a part owner who so used a client list upon leaving would likely be liable for breach of fiduciary duties unless it was done pursuant to an agreement with the other owners.

BINGO!!!!!! The law on this topic is not much different here at all!

Adding some thoughts and observations:

I have been booking rooms at the Blue Angel (formerly known as Caribe Blue formerly known as Hotel Lorena formerly known as La Perla, etc) for my divers since my first year in operation (2002). I've worked with three owners and the staff (Arlene, Alejandra, and now Eva). I worked with Jeannie for years in booking rooms there from the time she came on board until the time she left. Her departure in January of this year was a surprise to me and I wished her the best when she told me she was moving on. I did enjoy working with her and always enjoyed chatting with her when I stopped by BA. However, this development has been quite disappointing to me. I cannot find it logical that this was an "accident."

Blue Angel is technically my competition, but I am honored to be in fine company with BA (and many other shops). I have the utmost respect for Eva and consider her not only a brilliant business colleague, but a wonderful friend. She is an AMAZING leader and philanthropist in this community and does so much more than any of you could possibly imagine.

The timeline IMO says it all:
January 2012 - Jeannie leaves Blue Angel
March 2012 - blueangeldiveandtravel.com was purchased by Jeannie - (why is she using the BA name when she had already been gone for 2 months? IMO, to lead people into believing that they were still dealing with BA as they always had before)
May 8 - Tres Pelicanos facebook page was created
June 22 - Steve posts on the Tres Pelicanos facebook page: "Jeanie has been in contact with many of her old clients and they are very interested in this new venture. Starting August 1 we will go public with the other two guys and Jeanie will be sending out a mass emailing describing our new venture. "

2 nights ago, Jeannie sends out an e-mail blast to the BA customer list, including a link to the BA dive and travel site which actually has nothing to do with THE Blue Angel - but will obviously mislead people into believing they are dealing with Blue Angel just as they always had before.

Regardless of whether Jeannie sent this from her "personal" account or not - my question is why was this information EVER in her personal database? It's electronic, same as paper these days! See what I am saying?

Again, I whole heartily support ANY person(s) that is trying to start a new business of any kind - as long as it is done ethically with respect and class and FROM SCRATCH ON THEIR OWN! I don't get that warm fuzzy feeling about this one at all.
---------- Post Merged at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Last edited:
Last couple of posts have pretty welled summed up my original thoughts. It is still theoretically possible that my email address was obtained by the new shop outside of the fact that I'm a Blue Angel customer, but the Facebook post that Christi references is pretty damning.

I haven't scheduled my next trip to Coz, but when I do, I'll be right back to the same spot I've been for the last four years; staying at Blue Angel and diving with Blue Angel.

Last edited:
It's tough to draw conclusions without all the facts, and there are a number of facts that are not yet known, at least to me. Things like the terms of Jeanie's relationship with Blue Angel, whether there were any agreements as to how customer information would be handled, whether any agreements were made when she left, etc.

I'm thinking more about Jorge, a wonderful guy who is obviously going through a very difficult time no matter how you slice this. However this plays out, I hope he ends up okay.

A post from Steve from Tres Pelicanos' Facebook page from 3 hrs ago

"Hello World
Well this certainly was not the way we wanted to get our new operation started. Yes we did have egg on our faces for posting Jorge's assumed roll with our shop. For that I apologize to all again for that misunderstanding.
I also note that we are taking hits on Scuba Board about the email list. I am going to wait until Jeanie is available to answer those questions. She is now in transit to Cozumel with Mike.
The one issue that I do want to correct is the issue of hijacking employees from the Blue Angel. I just want to state that the only person I ASKED to join the pelicans was Jeanie Buscher who no longer was associated with that shop. We welcomed the offers to join us by the others as they both were and are leaders in their field. We feel very fortunate that Pony wanted to join us. I cannot tell you what an asset he has been to me in assisting with getting this operation underway. His expertise in the dive business is second to none, but it is his value as a genuine human being with total integrity and honesty that is most impressive. One finds very few people like him in their travel through life. Thank you Pony.
Now back to business. We three Pelicans cannot hope to compete with the Blue Angel or the many other wonderful dive operations on lovely Cozumel. Aldora, Scuba Club, Blue XTSEA, Jeremy, Martin, Papa Hogs, Opal, Albatross, and the many others who I didn't name. Actually I believe the Blue Angel is just the PERFECT dive operation. Its location and set up are by far the second best that I have ever had the pleasure to dive with. Only Sams in Palau comes in first in comparison. I love the Blue Angel and all the great folks who make that work so wonderfully. Congratulations to them for their exemplary way of doing business.
We are the new kids on the street. Like Avis against Hertz we will work harder to gain market share. Our goal of course will be to make our clients feel good about choosing us. Selling the underwater world of Cozumel is the easy part. We need to out perform all the others on customer service, longer bottom times (done safely within the limits of their own computers) and longer surface intervals. We believe that we can show our guests a good time even while on the surface gassing off.
So all of you long time Blue Angel and other shop fans, please stop in and see the big smiles on our faces as we welcome you. Even though you may not choose to dive with us, please come by to say hello. This world belongs to all of us together and the folks who smile make it all seem brighter. We PELICANS WILL BE SMILING and we bet that you will be too after meeting us.
Steve"

Thanks to the person who let me know about this post and Steve from Colorado – for wanting to hear from me.

My name is Jeanie Buscher and I would like to set the record straight on the question of emails that were sent out by me for Tres Pelicanos Dive Center.

First and foremost
My REGISTERED BUSINESS NAME in Missouri (USA) is Blue Angel Dive & Travel, LLC. I am legally registered in the state of Missouri and have been operating this business for many years. This is all part of Public record should you care to check.

The email address bluangel@fidmail.com – was (and still is) in my personal name.

I have a federal ID # for this company and this is the name which I use to file tax returns and pay taxes in the US as a travel agent.

I have made reservations throughout the years with HOTEL LORENA – (then name changed) to CARIBE BLU and in 2009 the hotel changed to BLUE ANGEL RESORT as well as other hotels.

The emails that came to bluangel@fidmail.com – were coming to an email address – which is IN MY NAME.

The PAYMENTS for reservations were made to MY PAY-PAL ACCOUNT in the US – and monies distributed to hotels came from my account in the US.

I can understand the confusion in the emails with the name Blue Angel attached to my company, but this is the way we did reservations all the way from Alejandra through the current owners

The name of my travel agency will remain Blue Angel Dive and Travel, LLC for the present as it is also my webadrress.

Please accept my apology if the emails seemed unwarranted when I sent them out.

I only planned on using the names/email addresses from people who responded back.

I will honor all requests to remove the names of those who ask.

It is unfortunate that this item has placed some cloud over Tres Pelicanos Diver Center.

Tres Pelicanos Dive Center will endeavor to work hard to build their business on integrity and respectability.

NOW – for the rest of the story – then maybe it can be put to rest and start DIVING!

TRES PELICANOS did not recruit any of the employees of BLUE ANGEL RESORT.

This past spring, Jorge, a dear friend of mine, came to our house deeply despaired. He wanted my help to open his own dive shop.

My response to him was YES – since Jorge was my friend.

Later he asked Steve to work with him on the shop – and they agreed together to do so.

I asked Jorge if this is what he wanted and Jorge told me YES!

Jorge was very excited and Steve started the time consuming task of opening a dive shop in Cozumel.

I spoke to Jorge last week and he assured me he was onboard!

All I know is after I emailed the announcement –Jorge sent a note via our webpage info request form – to tell Steve he would NOT be joining us.

WHAT HAPPENED with Jorge – I do not know - however I DO KNOW that TRES PELICANOS DIVE CENTER was and still is going to be a Dive Center that divers will enjoy becoming part of.

I hope Jorge & I will still be friends.

If you have other questions – please email me - personally at jeanie@fidmail.com .

Sincerely

Jeanie Buscher

Last edited:
It's always interesting to hear the other side - thanks. I am not interested in taking anyone's side, but this has been interesting. Mostly it looks like their business.

not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that BA is doing the bare minimum to keep you coming back?

If I was unimpressed with a dive op, I would likely try a different one to see if it is better.

I enjoy staying at the hotel but am less impressed with the Dive Op. Good location, good shore diving, clean, etc.... This used to be Caribe Blu correct? Maybe I have the names confused. I like BlueXTSea for the dive op.

---------- Post Merged at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:54 PM ----------

As Paul Harvey used to say, And now for the rest of the story! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom