Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0027wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy, maybe?

I'm trying to learn what the names are of the various filefish I see at the bridge. Is there an easy way to tell a fringed from a pygmy from a planehead? TIA

I'm thinking that this guy IMG_3899wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! with the big "dewlap" is probably a fringed.

IMG_4938wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy? Only one I've seen in this color outfit.

IMG_0984wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy? Smallest one I've see - at least in green.

Pretty sure the larger ones I've seen have been planeheads. They're usually lighter in color and typically in pairs, but I've seen pairs that looked an awful like what I had assumed were the fringed version, with the darker, splotchier coloration.

Don't make me get the DNA out. . .

Last edited:
LMC is a wonderful resource for human education as well as turtle health and rehabilitation. We usually go by Loggerhead going to BHB and returning home. We make a point of taking all the grandchildren when they visit. Thanks to JET for mentioning Juno Beach and Loggerhead Marine Center. It is located in Loggerhead Park which is across the street from Loggerhead Shopping Center. All in all--a Loggerhead place to be!! The place fronts on US1 and the back side is on A1A.

Yes, US1 - not A1A. It's just north of Donald Ross Road on the east side of US1. Worth a visit!

BHB 7.jpgBHB 6.jpgBHB 5.jpg

Dan, we were looking for you and Sandra before and after the dive but we did not see your truck. Did you make the dive or just come to look for the party? Yes, it turned out that it was not marked with signs or anything (the people who organized it were from out of town and only arrived just in time for the dive so nothing was set up in advance). We ended up going to lunch afterwards at the 2 Goats as there were only 7 of us. I think next year some of us local folks should take the lead on setting up signs, putting together a table, etc. well ahead of the dive time, so everyone knows where to meet.

Still, it was a good time. My new camera system performed flawlessly! Never got so many keepers on a single dive before.

Still, it was a good time. My new camera system performed flawlessly! Never got so many keepers on a single dive before.

Great news Guy! And where do you hide these keepers?

I am seriously considering an EM-5, Oly housing, Zen 100mm dome and Pana 8mm for my wide angle camera.

Lots of transferring and downrezzing to get them ready to post. Will post them here later this week.

I will post about my rig on the Oly forum. But, my recommendation, forget the Oly housing and go with Nauticam. Full discussion on the oly forum so as not to hijack here!

Conditions yesterday were OK. 81* with 15-20' vis. Not bad compaired to last weekend. The bridge is prob the only divable location on the east coast this weekend, thank goodness I have NO plans to be there to see the madness

Not even so sure about the weekend. Several days of very rough weather ahead that should stir things up. Would not be surprised if vis drops to 5-10'. That is just not my cup of tea, even in "macro mode" diving. Guess I am spoiled . . .

IMG_0027wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy, maybe?

I'm trying to learn what the names are of the various filefish I see at the bridge. Is there an easy way to tell a fringed from a pygmy from a planehead? TIA

I'm thinking that this guy IMG_3899wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! with the big "dewlap" is probably a fringed.

IMG_4938wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy? Only one I've seen in this color outfit.

IMG_0984wb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - Pygmy? Smallest one I've see - at least in green.

Pretty sure the larger ones I've seen have been planeheads. They're usually lighter in color and typically in pairs, but I've seen pairs that looked an awful like what I had assumed were the fringed version, with the darker, splotchier coloration.

Don't make me get the DNA out. . .

Kevin: First off, GREAT shots!!! These are among my favorite fish to photograph and I, too, have struggled with identification.

IMG_0027wa
- Things I don't see are the "incomplete body stripes formed by dashes and spots" but the body style certainly fits better than the Slender Filefish.
Pygmy Filefish description from "Fishes of the Caribbean": "Rows of short dark brown dashes (especially the juvenile), small spots, and some blotches. Its dorsal profile from the snout to the origin of the first dorsal spine is almost straight, and the first dorsal spine is thick, with two rows of barbs. The second dorsal fin and the anal fin both have 27-29 rays. The pelvic flap is movable but not well-developed and the rounded caudal fin sometimes has two diffuse dark bars, the first of which is normally much darker. The adult male is similar to M. ciliatus (fringed filefish) but differs by having a long second ray on its rear dorsal fin, and an elongate patch of bristles on the caudal peduncle, instead of pairs of elongate spines. Typically it is 4 inches long, sometimes reaching 7inches."

Based on that, I'd lean towards these all being variations of Fringed Filefish.

Again, great stuff!

Kevin: First off, GREAT shots!!! These are among my favorite fish to photograph and I, too, have struggled with identification.

Its dorsal profile from the snout to the origin of the first dorsal spine is almost straight, and the first dorsal spine is thick, with two rows of barbs. The second dorsal fin and the anal fin both have 27-29 rays.

Based on that, I'd lean towards these all being variations of Fringed Filefish.

Again, great stuff!

Thanks, Wet. But, if I have to go counting fin rays, then I'm just gonna do without. :D Interestingly, the marine biologist whom I've been pestering some suggested that he wouldn't be surprised if all these guys at the bridge were versions of the planehead.

I've decided not to trudge back down to the bridge until I get caught up a bit with my pics, including putting some name-tags on them. Making some progress, but it's very frustrating when I don't find easy answers to the ID's. I like "easy". :D

Thanks for chiming in. The thread has been getting a bit sparse of late. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom