• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Boat Diving Etiquette

Discussion in 'New Divers & Those Considering Diving' started by Capt Jim Wyatt, Feb 21, 2021.

1. oly5050user

oly5050user Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    And bring lunch and beers

Belzelbub likes this.
  2. Belzelbub

Belzelbub Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If you weren’t so far away, you’d be invited on my boat.

Lunch, beers, and gas money are great ways to make sure you’ll be invited back.

Altamira and oly5050user like this.
  3. oly5050user

oly5050user Dive Travel Professional

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Will try to look you up next time I get down there. If you get up here you can get on my boat I have a privateer. One of my friends who lives up here has a house on Paloma that I have stayed at

4. Ghost95

Ghost95 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I realise I duplicated some of your list. Maybe those things that are duplicated are important. Good thread that might help people better enjoy their trip.

Capt Jim Wyatt likes this.
  5. RyanT

RyanT ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Do some people actually do that? SMH...

6. Belzelbub

Belzelbub Manta Ray

Luckily, my regular crew doesn’t do that. If they did, they wouldn’t be part of my regular crew.

For my closest friends, I often refuse the cash they offer, but take the help.

RyanT likes this.
  7. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I've had buddies that try to help with the cleanup. I have a routine I've built over the years and others tend to just get in the way. I had one buddy who would leave and take his tanks to the shop for fills. He could have easily taken mine as well so I could pick them up after cleaning the boat. He never did, claiming he didn't have room in his spacious SUV. :rant:

Ana and chillyinCanada like this.
  8. jadairiii

jadairiii Solo Diver

I think if you follow these 2, the others are redundant.

9. maj2

maj2 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    A big one for the group I usually dive with is that the "heavies" (i.e. those in doubles, sidemount, rebreather, etc.) get the stations closest to the entry/exit. Those diving single tanks sit farther from the entry/exit.

My personal rule is that me and all of my stuff should fit at my station (and under it). This includes my gear bag, my dry bag, my lunch, etc. Only bring on the boat what you are going to need. I stay in my space, you stay in yours.

10. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

And that reminds me...drysuit divers who leave their big bags all over the deck, not putting them in the cabin until time to get suited up. And yes, my drysuit stuff goes in the cabin. Get your gear set up THEN pull out the drysuit stuff. At least that’s how it’s done here on the Great Lakes, especially in the summer when you’d cook if you got into your drysuit too early.

shoredivr likes this.