Bolt snap on long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am curious as to what size bungee you are using? 1/8 or 1/4" possibly?

@Peter69_56 the second is cleaner, but is very annoying to clip into a d-ring especially if something else is on there. The first is much more practical. I like it especially for the diving that I do where regs are getting clipped and unclipped regularly *multi stage, decompression, sidemount diving*

@PunkabillyTurk bungee is all 1/8" for these. I use 1/4" for SPG's

Thanks @tbone1004 I don't care what @RainPilot says about you, you are alright in my book.

What I dont like is the bolt snap hanging off the reg, Tried it and dont like that. Preference is small profile, hence a small ring so the bolt snap remains on the BCD etc. My feeling anyway
And, that's is certainly the correct approach - whatever works best for you. I have had bolts snaps hanging off second stages (or the second stage hoses, to be more accurate) for so long, I don't even think about it. :)
PunkabillyTurk:
I am curious as to what size bungee you are using? 1/8 or 1/4" possibly?
I use 3/16" for the bungee necklace, and I just made a second stage holder out of the 3/16" and it works well. I don't see any reason not to use 1/8" if you have it. For that matter, 1/4" would work, but is overkill from my perspective.

Thanks @tbone1004 I don't care what @RainPilot says about you, you are alright in my book.
Can't hear you over the sound of the bus you are throwing me under.

Tom knows I dig him. Even though he is way too tall to be fully human.

Can't hear you over the sound of the bus you are throwing me under.

Tom knows I dig him. Even though he is way too tall to be fully human.

Couldn't help myself after all the "trouble" you have me in

I have gone away from the normal bolt snap attachment to this slick thing that Brett showed me a few years ago. It's slightly adapted for my Poseidons, but runs like that on my "normal" looking second stages. Easily removable, slides down the hose if you need to donate, and holds the second stage much closer to the D-ring which is great

I like this idea and want to try it out but I'm just not getting the finer details from this video. It is all happening too fast and black bungee on a black reg.

Anyone have another video or some pictures to go from?

It's incredibly simple, once you've done one. Tying the bolt snap to the loop and the loop to the regulator hose is accomplished with a "girth hitch", which is a fancy way to say "pull one end of the loop though the other" (or the way you attach a baggage tag to a suitcase handle.) First attach the bolt snap, then do the same thing to attach the loop + bolt snap to the neck of the reg hose. Then rather than leave this dangling, just stretch the loop over the mouth piece of the reg.

IMO, making the loop with a fisherman's knot is more "complicated" than the rest of the process. 1/4" bungee is a bit awkward, 1/8" works nicely.

@Charred
Make one of these. The line should be 10-12" long. You can always make it shorter, can't make it longer.

Make a girth hitch around the bolt snap, then another around the hose. Will look like that.
13631602_10157200384355134_472133256581307476_n.jpg

Pull over the face of the regulator. If you have an adjustment knob, I would put it on the mouthpiece side of the adjustment knob so it's a bit more secure. Voi la
13612345_10157200384345134_1550437072870170141_n.jpg

Perfect Tbone. Love it. Side benefit is the boltsnap moves to the left side of my reg which is easier for me to grab and hook to my right D ring. Cant explain but I just find the boltsnap more instinctively.

Thanks for those pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom