Bolt snap on long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gone away from the normal bolt snap attachment to this slick thing that Brett showed me a few years ago. It's slightly adapted for my Poseidons, but runs like that on my "normal" looking second stages. Easily removable, slides down the hose if you need to donate, and holds the second stage much closer to the D-ring which is great

Now that I have my boltsnap attached to my secondary to clip off on my BCD I find this. Looks like I get to play with my gear this week and see if I can make this work and how many tries it takes me.

I love the streamlined approach to this and that it will clip off much closer than with the standard practice of cave line.

Also I see everyone call this a girth knot but I have always known it to be a lark's head. Is there an actual difference that I can't seem to find?

Now that I have my boltsnap attached to my secondary to clip off on my BCD I find this. Looks like I get to play with my gear this week and see if I can make this work and how many tries it takes me.

I love the streamlined approach to this and that it will clip off much closer than with the standard practice of cave line.

Also I see everyone call this a girth knot but I have always known it to be a lark's head. Is there an actual difference that I can't seem to find?

not semantics per se, just how and where they are used. It's the same style of knot and same methods of tying it to my knowledge. @JohnnyC would know definitively though

According to Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, the Larks head and Cow hitch are the same thing.

Cow Hitch, (Lanyard Hitch) using the End Details
Alternative: In addition to Threading the End, the Cow Hitch can be tied Using Loops.

Description: The Cow Hitch or Lanyard Hitch (ABOK # 1673, p 290) is similar to the Clove Hitch except that the second Half Hitch is in the reverse direction.

Why Include it Here? It answers the question: "What happens when I tie a Clove Hitch but reverse the second turn?" Answer: "A Cow Hitch." The Clove Hitch and the Cow Hitch are close relatives with similar properties. Neither should be trusted alone for critical applications.

Similar Knot: The Cow Hitch has a similar appearance to the Girth Hitch, which is tied with a sling loop and known by various names including Strap Hitch and Bale Sling Hitch.

Names: In addition to "Lanyard Hitch", the Cow Hitch is also known as the "Lark's Head" – attributed to a literal translation from the French "tête d'alouette" (ABOK # 11, p 5). The subsequent transformation from "Head" to "Foot" originated in Modern Rope Techniques in Mountaineering by (the late) Bill March in 1973. He probably meant to say Lark's Head, but made a mistake when he showed it used for a foot loop.

Constrictor instead.
  • General: The Cow Hitch can be used as an alternative to the Clove Hitch. It can be used to secure a lanyard to a rope. It is just as likely to slip as the Clove Hitch but less likely to bind and be hard to untie. Although named the "Cow Hitch", Ashley comments (ABOK # 244, p 44) that the Clove Hitch was used to secure cows more often. He went on to describe watching as a cow, secured by a Clove Hitch, walked in a circle that unwound and untied the Clove Hitch. For this purpose at least, the Cow Hitch appears to be better suited to the task.
Pros and Cons: It is one of the quickest and easiest knots to learn but has relatively few critically useful applications.

I attach a tank valve o-ring to each of my primaries in lieu od a bolt snap. then I keep a double ender on each of my chest D-rings that I can use to clip it off when necessary.

Same except I have a SS ring on all my regs so they can be clipped off onto a single bolt clip or double ender on a stage etc. I found having a single bolt clip on a regulator the pits. If small so it doesnt interfer, its hard to clip off, if big its a pain, so better to have a SS ring attached to the hose on each reg and have the bolt clip on your BCD/wing somewhere convenient, or on the neck of a stage/sling tank

I have gone away from the normal bolt snap attachment to this slick thing that Brett showed me a few years ago. It's slightly adapted for my Poseidons, but runs like that on my "normal" looking second stages. Easily removable, slides down the hose if you need to donate, and holds the second stage much closer to the D-ring which is great

Thank you. I will be using this from now on. Cameron

Just tried this. I love it! Better than anything else I have used in the past, including cave line, and O-ring / zip tie combinations. I am sold.

Just tried this. I love it! Better than anything else I have used in the past, including cave line, and O-ring / zip tie combinations. I am sold.

What I dont like is the bolt snap hanging off the reg, Tried it and dont like that. Preference is small profile, hence a small ring so the bolt snap remains on the BCD etc. My feeling anyway

What I dont like is the bolt snap hanging off the reg, Tried it and dont like that. Preference is small profile, hence a small ring so the bolt snap remains on the BCD etc. My feeling anyway

curious what you're finding to be a larger profile?
This is what mine looks like on my O2 regulator.

13612345_10157200384345134_1550437072870170141_n.jpg

Can also do this with a double ender if you want a lower profile
13754084_10157200384320134_8862324670449542541_n.jpg

curious what you're finding to be a larger profile?
This is what mine looks like on my O2 regulator.

View attachment 412247

Can also do this with a double ender if you want a lower profile
View attachment 412248

Looks neater in the second pic, not so nice in the first. Diverite clip them onto the hose and its the pits, hence why I changed mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom