Bolting Down a BP/Wing on a Doubles Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Probably a stupid question (if so, just tell me so): I am using a small Oxycheq BP on my doubles rig. The "V" spine on a small plate is not quite as deep as on a full sized plate, I don't believe. So, I am a bit reluctant to use wing nuts to bolt down the plate, as the "wings" just might tear into my drysuit.

Is there any problem or concerns simply using ordinary nuts (not sure what they're called--you know, they're flat and have six sides) to lock down the BP?

Thanks.

Probably a stupid question (if so, just tell me so): I am using a small Oxycheq BP on my doubles rig. The "V" spine on a small plate is not quite as deep as on a full sized plate, I don't believe. So, I am a bit reluctant to use wing nuts to bolt down the plate, as the "wings" just might tear into my drysuit.

Is there any problem or concerns simply using ordinary nuts (not sure what they're called--you know, they're flat and have six sides) to lock down the BP?

Thanks.

Using a regular nut will work fine. You may not be able to remove it by hand after diving.
This depends on how tight you put it on of course.
That being said, wingnuts shouldn't contact your back or suit. Every plate has different bend angles so it is possible.
I'll get spanked on this forum for making a brand specific suggestion ;-) , so I will just say.....
Search here for "delrin nut(s)".

Take care,
Mitch

No there is no problem in doing that. I have used Stainless Nylon lock nuts before, but by doing this you take away the ability to tear down your gear quickly for packing and travel. Which is why I do not do it anymore. I have came across bolts to long when not using wings while vintage diving that I had to have two lengths of bolts in my dive bag. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Pullmyfinger beat me to the post...and yes "Delrin nuts are also an option"

Thanks, Mitch.

I dove a full-sized SS BP with single tanks for years. I used the wing nuts, but I still used a pliers to tighten them and there was NO WAY I or anyone was going to loosen them by hand (there were two grommets stacked at the top between the plate and the STA, so I really ratched those wing nuts down).

I don't think I would be inclined to want to hand tighten my plate to a heavy doubles rig, which is why I cannot quite understand why people ever use those wing nuts instead of ordinary nuts in the first place, as wing nuts always pose more of a risk to your drysuit (especially when wiggling into or out of the harness).

Using a regular nut will work fine. You may not be able to remove it by hand after diving.
This depends on how tight you put it on of course.
That being said, wingnuts shouldn't contact your back or suit. Every plate has different bend angles so it is possible.
I'll get spanked on this forum for making a brand specific suggestion ;-) , so I will just say.....
Search here for "delrin nut(s)".

Take care,
Mitch

I just hand tighten mine.

I see your point. If you are going to use a tool anyway then just use regular hex nuts, no point in using a wing nut in this instance.

Take care,

-Mitch

Are you concerned about the wings on the wing nut damaging the suit or (and) the male threads that project past the nut? If so, the Delrin Backplate Thumbwheels or Highland Backplate Speed Nuts may be a solution:

Backplate Assembly Screws and Nuts - Dive Gear Express

When I dove doubles, I used 316 SS flanged nuts, they worked great! I think I got them from McMaster-Carr. I ordered a handfull. I took a little box end wrench with me as well. Slicker than whale S**T!

Is a flange nut simply a hex nut-plus-washer in one piece?

When I dove doubles, I used 316 SS flanged nuts, they worked great! I think I got them from McMaster-Carr. I ordered a handfull. I took a little box end wrench with me as well. Slicker than whale S**T!

Is a flange nut simply a hex nut-plus-washer in one piece?

Yes and it has anti rotation knurl on the underside of the flat to "HELP" keep it from coming loose.

metric-flange-nut.jpg

I don't think I would be inclined to want to hand tighten my plate to a heavy doubles rig, which is why I cannot quite understand why people ever use those wing nuts instead of ordinary nuts in the first place, as wing nuts always pose more of a risk to your drysuit (especially when wiggling into or out of the harness).

I use wing nuts and sometimes the delrins... I've never had an issue with drysuit damage or the tanks falling off the plate. really how far are you walking in your doubles? Once you are in the water there isn't much stress on the bolts unless you are pulling G's on a scooter ya know :wink:

(Seriously go to AWS and talk to Frank...)

Back
Top Bottom