Boltsnap breakaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not clever in a wreck... or if using steel tanks. Not very secure either.

I was going to place my order for bolt snaps and saw the vendor had this little item. Looks like the cord is bungee. Would only be used for fixed items (SPG and Primary reg when not in use on land). More durable than o rings and can be removed without cutting. Whatcha think?

hose_clip_retainer.jpgretainer_1.PNG

I was going to place my order for bolt snaps and saw the vendor had this little item. Looks like the cord is bungee. Would only be used for fixed items (SPG and Primary reg when not in use on land). More durable than o rings and can be removed without cutting. Whatcha think?

View attachment 121685View attachment 121686

I've been using these for years with no problem. I use them the same way you are suggesting, and they work well. I've only had to replace one in ~5 years or so, and I always keep a spare in my kit.

The only place I use a breakaway is on my long hose when sidemount diving ... since it's clipped off half the time and needs to be available for donating. A friend of mine designed these out of some spare delrin he had available. They work great ...

breakawayclip.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What about a magnetic keeper for primary reg (when not in use) and SPG?

View attachment 121254

I tried one of these for exactly one dive, I found the magnet wasn't quite strong enough to reliably hold my octo in place, but did find that it was strong enough (despite manufacturer's claim to the contrary) to provide compass interference. I have since switched to bungee necklace/long hose config, so don't have a need for such a device anymore anyway.

I use a zip strip, double wrapped to provide enough clearance for a knife or z knife to get under IT for cutting. It is tight enough that it will not slip, and if I have to, I can twist it away since it is double wrapped and creates a weak point when twisted with enough force.

I was using the breakaway from go sidemount.com, and having the same troubles as everyone else with it sliding down the hose. I gave up on the thing a week ago, but today I think I solved the problem: I put a fixed 70 degree swivel on the second stage,

The reason was, I realized theres no good reason to have the long hose wrap across the next and around the neck when diving sidemount doubles-it only creates a hose-entanglement risk with the can light and deco bottle hoses. So I figured why not put a 70 degree swivel on it and run it straight from the tank instead of around.

And once I did that, I realized that the breakaway can't get past the swivel, so the whole breakaway-slipping problem is solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Without using a hog loop, the long-hose is going to drop far below the diver, every time you reg switch (unless you planned to completely re-stow the hose on every switch).

That'd introduce a lot of variables,... not really good things. If 'most' of the long hose is stowed... and you route the regulator direct from the tank,.. then you will lose the 'initial' length of hose for donation. If you screwed up and trapped the hose, then it'd prevent air-sharing in a timely manner. With the hog loop, you know that you can pass air, in most circumstances... resolving the full hose length afterwards.

You'd also lose your muscle-memory/familiarity, evolved with using the hog loop (if you have such yet). That'd be glitchy... as your programming would want you to let the reg drop/clip-off, rather than compensating for the new routing and consequent 'dangle' factor of a non-hog looped reg.

I wouldn't abandon a 'best practice' for long hose use, just to solve a problem regards a slippy break-away.

One negative I can think of it takes two much space on the ring unnecessary...

Would be a little bit of a problem if you do any survey or need to navigate by compass.

If you are breathing your backup reg, the dive should have been thumbed, and your buddies know that you are not a resource for donation. The only reason to be on the backup is that the primary has failed. If you are on your backup without being aware of it (!) your buddies should notice, or your team has failed . . .

Sidemount.

I use a break away (o-ring cave tied to a bolt snap)on my long hose. My SPG is is cave tied to bolt snap. Not break away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom