Bonaire Diving Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone heard of an accident that happened in Bonaire in the last couple of days. I heard through the grapevine that a Michigan diver died down there. I was wondering if anyone had the real story. thanks

thank you and the West Michigan diving community thanks you as well.

From what I have found out so far is that the person (male) was a guest at Captain Don's Habitat. What I also found out that he passed away while diving from a heart attack.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time.

Liz

Thank you. This is the information I got through email from someone that was in Bonaire at the same time. I've "x"ed the names for now.

xxxx met us with a very sober face and told us
that xxxxxx xxxxxx suffered a fatal heart attack on their first dive of the
day out at Red Slave at about ll:00 in the morning. The current was
rippin' and they were aborting the dive, and he went to the surface and
was shouting for help. With the surface conditions being wildish, it took
a little time to get him to shore and he wasn't able to help much--he was
not conscious by the time they had him in and his color was bad. xxxxx
did CPR for some twenty minutes before the ambulance came and the doctors
at the hospital attempted all their stuff, but too much time had gone by
and they were unable to revive him.
It's hard to believe, I know--he was in such good physical condition for
his age. It was very likely panic more than exhaustion that triggered
it--he wasn't a strong swimmer and the current was strong.

thoughts and prayers to those involved and his family

Sorry to hear of this. I know some people who went down to Capt Don's this week. My question is why was he diving in strong current if he was not a strong swimmer? Also how old was he if he was in such good shape for his age? Evidently he was not in shape enough or comfortable enough in currents to prevent this.

We always want to think that someone who dies could have avoided it if only they'd done X, Y or Z.
The fact is that more often than not, (according to my bud the cardiologist) the very first symptom of a heart attack is sudden death.
It is also a fact that folks who appear to be in great shape even to themselves can have a heart attack and die... remember Jim Fix?
or a stroke...
or an aneurism...
or a few other physiological catastrophies.
Everybody dies, and sometimes we just have to accept that nobody screwed up.
Rick

Hey Rick, that's pretty deep. I also think it's very true. It's natural for people to want to find a cause, assign blame, consider what could have been done differently, etc. But you're right. Sometimes it's just time to go and no one is at fault.

My condolences go to the family of the deceased.

We had a plastic surgeon in the department when I came to Seattle who had a bad family history for heart disease. He was a vegan, didn't have an ounce of extra weight on him, and ran multiple miles a day. At the age of 38, he dropped dead during a run.

Sometimes, it's just your turn to go.

Let's also not forget that "good shape" can take several forms--big muscles don't indicate good stamina, etc. Anaerobic and aerobic exercise are very different.

My thoughts are with the family.

Back
Top Bottom