Bonaire Diving Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heart attacks that occur while doing strenuous exercise are often fatal, even in the healthiest of people. As Rick mentioned, we all try to find solutions, or ways to avoid future accidents.. that's part of accident analysis. But, it's important not to cast blame in the process.

Since none of us were there... even the person who wrote the letter, I would for the moment put aside the subjective swimming ability description. Factually... divers dove in an area with current, decided to abort the dive, and on ascent one of them had a heart attack.

Sometimes the only way to avoid a diving accident is not to dive.

I would inquire about current testing/verification before the divers entered the water, and about the level of experience of the divemaster/instructor (if this was a guided dive).

My condolences to his family

I am in Bonaire now. On Tuesday it was very windy. We deceded not to shore dive down south after seening the surf. We tried just north of Capt Don's at Andrea II but got out of the water because the surf was too difficult for us to manuver. We went back to Sand Dollar and dove this familiar dive. We noted that the current was much stronger.

My deepest condolences to the family

For what it's worth. He was in his early fifties and was runner. He ran 8-10 miles a day. He was adv. nitrox certified and was diving with four, yes four, instructors. At least one of the four instructors was a CPR instructor as well. As terrible as it is, I think it may have just been his time.

thoughts and prayers are with his family and those involved in his rescue

For what it's worth. He was in his early fifties and was runner. He ran 8-10 miles a day. He was adv. nitrox certified and was diving with four, yes four, instructors. At least one of the four instructors was a CPR instructor as well. As terrible as it is, I think it may have just been his time.

thoughts and prayers are with his family and those involved in his rescue

I have to agree. Even an active runner can have a heart attack as there are so many other factors involved. He may have been a heavy smoker, or he may have had clogged arteries due to bad eating habits over 50 years, or it may have been a defect that was never detected. (Remember Pres. Clinton's heart attack? Active runner for many years but arteries clogged due to too many Big Mac's and fries).

Condolences to his family.

When it is your time it is your time. You can not speed it up or slow it down. How many time have you hear of someone that had some type of accident that should have kill them and it did not and the next person just sat down and their gone. Like I said when it your time it is your time

Very sad news. Condolences to all affected...

My thoughts are with the family also. It's kind of like my dear old departed dad was so fond of sayng "When Gabriel blows his horn". It is time when it is time-- just rely of your faith and trust.

Very sad news. Condolences to his family and all that were diving with him. It must have been traumatic for everybody involved. It sounds like he was a very active person and enjoyed life as a runner and diver.

I think that Cobalt mentioned he was a certified advanced Nitrox diver. Any idea if he was using Nitrox at the time?

Heart felt condolences to family and friends. Hope I can be as lucky, when my times up.
Beats the hell out of a piss soaked nursing home....

Reactions: Jax
Heart felt condolences to family and friends. Hope I can be as lucky, when my times up.
Beats the hell out of a piss soaked nursing home....

I agree.

If you've never been in one you just don't know.

When you can smell urine from the parking lot - its bad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom