Bonaire Diving Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heart felt condolences to family and friends. Hope I can be as lucky, when my times up.
Beats the hell out of a piss soaked nursing home....

I totally agree with you there!

Sorry to hear of this. I know some people who went down to Capt Don's this week. My question is why was he diving in strong current if he was not a strong swimmer? Also how old was he if he was in such good shape for his age? Evidently he was not in shape enough or comfortable enough in currents to prevent this.

I've been on dives at Red Slave when there was no current at the beginning of the dive and then it immediately changed to the point I almost needed to hang on in the sand with my dive knife to keep from being swept somewhere I really didn't want to end up. It's possible that could have been the case that day. He didn't MEAN to be diving in a current but found himself in one. I really struggled on one particular dive day. I can see how someone with unknown heart issues could get into trouble under the conditions I experienced.

I saw the ambulance go down past us the other day toward the slave huts and was hoping and praying it wasn't a diver. I'm so sad to learn about this. My condolences to his family. A worst nightmare.

When I was a paramedic I saw folks in a room full of board certified cardiologists with all the equipment and meds that money can buy go despite all efforts.

Then I saw the person whom we had to borrow a four wheel drive and go deep in the woods to get him out make it and live another 15 years.

When I go - I want it to be at Red Slave or Karpata or some other fantastic place. I don't want to spend my last days in front of a television wishing I were somewhere else.

Don't throw blame - Say HooAh! guy, you crossed over doing what you love in a place so close to paradise you didn't have to travel far.

Travel well diver - and save room for us.

Reactions: Jax
Don't throw blame - Say HooAh! guy, you crossed over doing what you love in a place so close to paradise you didn't have to travel far.

I find the old "he died doing something he loved" chestnut to be as dopey as trying to assign blame.

Both are just a way for the living to try to feel better about it - the two ideas are just on opposite ends of the dopey spectrum.

Heart felt condolences to family and friends. Hope I can be as lucky, when my times up.
Colorful imagery... but, I'm with you on this...

When it is your time it is your time. You can not speed it up or slow it down. How many time have you hear of someone that had some type of accident that should have kill them and it did not and the next person just sat down and their gone. Like I said when it your time it is your time
Wow, y'all are carrying this "time to go" thing a little far. Y'all want to lay off all the EMS people? :confused:

I think a reasonable interpretation would be when all reasonable is done and fails, it was already a done deal. I'm chatting at the moment with an EMS medic. She had two cardiac calls this weekend, saved them both. Nice to win soetimes - cardiacs are tough.
We had my dad in the best at the last as it was all we could do. He hated it. Just the opposite of what I said above? Ok so I have difficulties.
I find the old "he died doing something he loved" chestnut to be as dopey as trying to assign blame.

Both are just a way for the living to try to feel better about it - the two ideas are just on opposite ends of the dopey spectrum.
Sorta' agree.

I've dived Red Slave Huts many times and it can be a difficult dive with the surf and current. My experience at Red Slave is that the current will come and go, and can vary in intensity during the dive. Sometimes things go bad, and this seems to be one of those occasions. This man didn't enter the water expecting to die, it could have happened at his home or work, but it occured on Bonaire at Red Slave. Sometimes the story is that there is no story. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased. :palmtree: Bob

Dopey, maybe.... hope it turns out good for you when the Reaper calls...

If you spend more time on this board than diving, your a surfer, not a diver.

Dopey maybe, but...when it is my time, Id like to go doing something I love or being somewhere I love. Call it what you will.

Condolences to the family, and if they find comfort in the fact that he was doing what he loved, then let it be.

Reactions: Jax
Ok guys, I am sorry I chimed in on the issue of how we view the accidents and deaths of others. This is not the place for such. In reality, it sucks to learn of another diver's death in actions - and maybe sometimes I don't state my feelings well. My apologies...

The Reason for this forum is to try to learn from others accidents and losses - and very important and rewarding one. Please join me in returning to that focus, ok?

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom