Bootie Drainage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingLonghorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I wear booties and they always fill with water - understandle. However, I read that you can heat a nail and put holes in the rubber soles of the booties for drainage. I normally just take them off and pour the water out, but just wondering if anyone has done the same or similiar.

Thanks.

Edited to add that I normally dive wet with a shorty.

I've used the heated nail trick to put hole in my hood and beanie to prevent getting a trapped air pocket around my ears (Ouch!). It worked great for that.

I'm not sure I really have a need for self-draining booties. Somedays I could use a hole in my wetsuit though :D

I use the water in my booties to rinse things off once I get back to the car, like my feet just before I towell them dry. You can also carry water in you fins for the same reason.

No holes will keep you warmer by not letting in cold water. I sorta like the "boot juice" after the dive because I use it to wash the sand off of the other bootie. I even have a proverb "One boot washes the other"

I don't need to punch any holes because my big toe wears through a 3mm bootie in 30 or 40 dives. Problem solved.:D

When it gets too big, I just patch it with a bicycle tire patch.

The hole is shielded by my fin foot pocket so there isn't much water flow during a dive.

Charlie

I wouldn't put a hole in it. If you do a shore dive and have a nice walk back to your car, you'll end up with gritty sand in your booties (owie!) and no way to clean it out once you get back.

Sounds like something to see the doctor about...

Ease up on the potato chips made with olestra.... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom