Boston whaler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yojreilly

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a new diver, and thinking about getting a 17' to 20' Boston whaler to use diving on the Oregon coast. I'm wondering how others get back in there Boston whaler. I assume you remove gear first like an inflatable. Or can you use a dive ladder? ====

OMG, no, you did not mention a BW! The most hated boat on the internet!

I have a dive ladder off the swim platform ours. Piece of cake to get back in and getting out, we roll from the gunwale. I only dive myself and my wife from it so we have plenty of room. On occasion I may carry a couple of other divers. My wife climbing up the Garlick ladder:

IMG_0487.jpg

You could get a BW made for scuba divers:

125-Boston_Whaler_Guardian_22_.jpg

firerescue.jpg

Or one with 50 cal machine guns:

default.jpg

Or one they tried to sink:

Whaler_vs_Wahoo.jpg

or squash:

Dumptruck_72.jpg

In the good times we just grabbed hold of the side and hopped back in:

Lead_Front_5.jpg

N

" Thanks for reply Nemrod.
I had a 13' BW years ago, but I wasn't diving then. It was a great boat. Seeing your ladder in pic makes me think this is the right choice for me. Your boat looks very stable, with you on the ladder. There is a 20' outrage around here I have my eye on. I plan to dive coves and inlets along our rocky coast. I see you have a 150 hp, nice. I was thinking a honda 70 to 90 would be plenty of power and not to hard on the fuel. What do you think? I may need to get threw some large swells now and then. The gunwale would be good, but probley hard to find in the used market. The 50 cal. ,I have to have.
So BW is most hated on the internet. Why is that? -------------------------------Reilly

On an Outrage you will need more than an anemic Honda 90, not sure that would even plane an Outrage 20. Ours is a 19 foot Outrage actually sold as a package deal some years back as a Nantucket. It is currently sold with engines to 200 horses and I would consider on my boat anything under 135 underpowered, the absolute minimum horsepower was originally 115 horses but nowadays it is 135 for the same hull. Boston Whalers are not lightweights, the foam and double hull to the gunwale crown, the heavy build in areas makes for a heavy boat, one that also feels concrete solid, no shimmy, no shake, no squeak or give. The weight helps with a boat in rough water as it makes the boat feel and act stable and bigger than it really is, however, the downside is that it needs good power. Even the "classic" Outrage 18 footer would want at least 135 horsepower. The "classic" Montauk 17 foot would perform well with a 90 horsepower.

Do not forget that many of today's engines are heavier, in the case of four strokes, considerably heavier than engines outfitted in the 70s and 80s and often make older boats stern heavy. Modern hulls are designed to support the additional weight but even there, some of us still prefer two strokes and such engines as the Opti Max and Evinrude are very fuel efficient and lighter than equivalent four stroke engines.

There is a BW web forum, continuous wave. I do not get along well there, imagine that, lol, they are a bit blue blood and yankee coat sweater and pipe types, wink, wink, for me--but --some there are helpful.

Why are Boston Whalers hated, because, boats bring out much more heated "better, gooder, bester" type arguments than scuba ever could. BW really popularized the center console design. The "unsinkable" claim (fact) also riles the owners of the chief nemesis of BW, Grady White, whose boats will not float nearly as well, see photo above. Thus the "unsinkable" argument carries on as does the "unsinkable legend" which has become a boating icon, now for 52 years. There are lot's of larger boats I would love to own more than a BW but when it comes to small open skiffs the BW is the standard, even the smaller Grady White owners look away fuming and frothing. Wink, wink.

I hit some sort of submerged object floating in the Gulf, my wife saw it after I passed it and said, good thing we did not hit that. Well, in fact we did. I never felt anything, but green paint and a gouge down the bottom was proof we did. No worries, fixed better than new, cannot even see it, I imagine had I hit it in a lighter boat it would have holed or at least I might have felt it.

N

Thanks for the reply Chuck
That is a big help to me, and a world of info about the whaler. I'll be ready to buy one this fall. I wonder how much more fuel the Outrage uses over the lighter classic Montauk .

I have a 2000 Outrage 23 w/twin 135s
It has a ladder and no one hates this boat
it rides like a tank especially when full of 166 gallons of fuel

Attachments

• Dive tanls and brackets May 2009.jpg
    Dive tanls and brackets May 2009.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN0739.jpg
    DSCN0739.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 288
Thanks for the reply Chuck
That is a big help to me, and a world of info about the whaler. I'll be ready to buy one this fall. I wonder how much more fuel the Outrage uses over the lighter classic Montauk .

Depends upon which Outrage. We get max range at about 24 MPH with a fuel burn that approaches 6 MPG. When I switched to a Rev 4 prop and added tabs the MPG dropped to about 5.5 at the same speed but now I can stay on plane at lower speeds so at about 20 MPH now I can exceed 6 MPG. That is lightly loaded of course, just me and my wife. The boat holds just over 60 gallons so at that fuel burn there is plenty of range.

I am doing some work on the boat now, I will get a few pics of my Garlick ladder and bracket in a moment. The single pole ladders are great with fins and it floats which is nice too.

Nobody hates my boat either when they are getting a free ride, the hate speech occurs within brand rivalry disputes. Within the BW community there is also the classic vs post classic rivalry though it is not nearly as intense as the GW vs BW diatribes that occur regularly on www.thehulltruth.com among others. The BW community just mostly likes to bash Brunswick Corporation which is the parent company of BW, it is a great forum topic for winter evenings.

N

mine gets 0 to 5 mpg depending of course on how it is run
The DFI engines are pretty dogone economical considering...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom