Bot check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m hoping there’s other moderators on this forum that have the ability to move threads.
Wookie's suggestion (first page) was tongue in cheek. This thread belongs in site support.

That being said, no one is forcing anyone to read this thread in site support. If it doesn't interest you, there are hundreds of thousand threads in other forums that might.

Why aren't you simply ignoring them?
Ignoring them just gets the forum filled with a bunch of wrong and misleading information. Since no one is calling them out at being wrong, anyone reading it later will will take it as correct. Calling them out now puts the marker up for later that might someday prevent the bad advise from spreading.

So it turns into a catch-22, ignore them and fill the forum with garbage or call them out and fill the forum with garbage. The correct way is to keep the garbage out to start with, or toss it out as soon as it enters. Don't let it sit there and get stinkier.

Ignoring them just gets the forum filled with a bunch of wrong and misleading information. Since no one is calling them out at being wrong, anyone reading it later will will take it as correct. Calling them out now puts the marker up for later that might someday prevent the bad advise from spreading.

So it turns into a catch-22, ignore them and fill the forum with garbage or call them out and fill the forum with garbage. The correct way is to keep the garbage out to start with, or toss it out as soon as it enters. Don't let it sit there and get stinkier.
In his defense, @Akimbo brought this up about forums in general, and having a ton of misinformation. There’s plenty of garbage on this site that’s wrong, outdated or one sided, users shouldn’t learn to scuba through a forum, it’s simply a tips/ tricks site and a place to shoot the ****

There’s also conspiracy dog piling threads in the site support
Section….

Ignoring them just gets the forum filled with a bunch of wrong and misleading information.

You mean like how dangerous Nitrox is? That was the consensus opinion in recreational diving not that long ago. Solo diving elicited nothing short of hysteria when I joined ScubaBoard. Free ascents were the norm when I learned diving and can still be a safe option if you are adequately trained. Recreational mixed gas rebreathers were considered an insane concept for more than a decade.

Nothing that is wrong or misleading goes unchallenged on the Internet for very long, even when it is the popular dogma of the day. The trick is to keep reading, skip the dogma, and evaluate the justifications for opinions for and against.

You mean like how dangerous Nitrox is? That was the consensus opinion in recreational diving not that long ago. Solo diving elicited nothing short of hysteria when I joined ScubaBoard. Free ascents were the norm when I learned diving and can still be a safe option if you are adequately trained. Recreational mixed gas rebreathers were considered an insane concept for more than a decade.

Nothing that is wrong or misleading goes unchallenged on the Internet for very long, even when it is the popular dogma of the day. The trick is to keep reading, skip the dogma, and evaluate the justifications for opinions for and against.
So you want everybody to be logical and skeptical. Right.

Back
Top Bottom