Bought an air compressor...21% fills for now...concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2500 fills before 1st stage rebuild.
Compressor and Yanmar prime mover,fuel, filters and maintenance and 02 come to less than $15k.
That's 6 bucks a fill if I throw the compressor away and a buy a new one instead of rebuilding.
In my case the 400 pound compressor and 200 to 400 pounds of 02 bottles would need 75 to 100 tanks to replace on a week long trip.So I save a ton literally and figuratively.

We lost a stage yesterday. Complete overhaul:. $5k. :(

Bad luck!

Granted, we don't have the ability to rebuild ourselves. Many people do.

@Superlyte27 these are the old Walter Kidde baby compressors coming from aerospace surplus. They're not really rebuildable and only cost about $400 for the compressor *ignoring filters, motor etc*. If the compressor blows up, just buy a new one, it's not like trying to rebuild a big Bauer. They're also only 2cfm so the filtration consumables are relatively cheap.

@SentinelAce you're fine, keep the filters changed, I'd at least get an air analysis done before any real filling to make sure the filter is doing its job. If filling for other people, I'd make sure I'm following mfg recommendations for filter changes *filter mfg since WK didn't sell for breathing air*, and get analysis done once per year.

$400?!?!

That's friggin awesome.

$400?!?!

That's friggin awesome.

yeah the blocks with pulley adapter were $400 and rated at 2.4cfm/5000psi. Super slow, but not bad. The filter system he was selling was $1000 which was a 16" tower with moisture trap, prv, etc. You then had to supply a 2hp electric motor, belt etc. All in you were under $2k. Not bad at all

Why would it be unsafe if you stay within the rated pressure of the tanks? Just use appropriate procedures and guidelines from the manufacturer and I don't see why it has to be dangerous. And of course. If you really want a nice fill start cold filling and go SSLLOOWWW.... Nohting like a good fill and they are getting harder to come by here where I live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom