Bought an air compressor...21% fills for now...concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the duty cycle for the small Kidde compressors? Single stage I’m guessing?

Yeah I would get the air analysis done when you start and at least once a year that's what most places do....

What is the duty cycle for the small Kidde compressors? Single stage I’m guessing?
4 stage, continuous duty. I run mine all day hooking up 3 big tanks at a time.

Edit: The little Kidde's did something on jet airplanes. They ran whenever the jet was running according to JS.

A lot of BS being sprouted here. My wife and I have owned a compressor (Bauer Junior II) since 2001. We have done over 4,200 fills since then. The cost per fill is currently AU$1.74, that is, about US$2.45. This includes all electricity, filter materials, oil, repairs and a total write off of the cost of the compressor (of course we could sell it now for at least AU$2,000 and further reduce the cost per fill). We have replaced ONE valve, cost was under AU$200.

We fill Nitrox to 40% as well, easy. In our dive club we have at least 25 privately owned compressors. So far we have saved over AU$20,000 based on a dive shop fill of AU$8. As long as you work out a good regime for replacing/repacking filters, then you are totally safe. The time saved waiting at a dive shop for a fill (and listening to their BS about how they lose money on fills) is worth the expense, even if you never saved any other money.

Welcome to the compressor owners' club!
Hopefully you're better at filling tanks than converting currencies. :)

Because safety isn't simply about pressure
There are several ways to kill yourself or the people breathing off the air you pump. CO is the biggie, hydrocarbons are another. Plus things at 3000 psi have a LOT of energy stored in them. If they break they can be very destructive.

It’s all doable, but appropriate care is needed.

There are several ways to kill yourself or the people breathing off the air you pump. CO is the biggie, hydrocarbons are another. Plus things at 3000 psi have a LOT of energy stored in them. If they break they can be very destructive.

It’s all doable, but appropriate care is
So a guy buys a compressor and this crap is what you have to offer. I have a compressor and feel free from the LDS that charge way too much for a fill which is the same for a top off. I love Fla because of the per cubic feet cost. Now I am open 24/7 for my fills! I trust what I am pumping as opposed to the guy or gal making very little money at the dive shop. Most can’t even explain how to do partial blending. I feel that most of us don’t give a crap about saving money but saving dives. I can come home and fire up the compressor and be ready the next morning. I don’t have to check the times of the shop, who is running the compressor, the travel, to cost, etc.

So a guy buys a compressor and this crap is what you have to offer. I have a compressor and feel free from the LDS that charge way too much for a fill which is the same for a top off. I love Fla because of the per cubic feet cost. Now I am open 24/7 for my fills! I trust what I am pumping as opposed to the guy or gal making very little money at the dive shop. Most can’t even explain how to do partial blending. I feel that most of us don’t give a crap about saving money but saving dives. I can come home and fire up the compressor and be ready the next morning. I don’t have to check the times of the shop, who is running the compressor, the travel, to cost, etc.
Sure. And if you don't understand the possible issues I'm sure there isn't anything that could possibly go wrong. Right?

And many of us have said in this thread and others....the convenience is worth it.

Sure. And if you don't understand the possible issues I'm sure there isn't anything that could possibly go wrong. Right?
Even "professional dive shops" sometimes get it wrong. I recently heard a rumour about bad tank fills that were blamed on an idling diesel delivery truck in the alley behind the shop.

And many of us have said in this thread and others....the convenience is worth it.
I have no problem with people accepting risks to accomplish something, but if you don't know and understand the risks that exist with what you want to do and potential ways to reduce these then you can't accept them or mitigate them. You are only ignoring them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom