bouyancy without reference point.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only used my depth gauge and later my computer for reference even when in clear water. A habit I got into from the beginning.
After a while you can get a sense if you start to move up or down if you were stationary, but I don't think I would be good at gauging ascent rates without something telling me my depth. This has prevented me from ditching my console as I prefer having a redundant depth gauge in case I ever got a computer failure deep (time wise) into a dive and wanted to ascend at a slow enough rate.

Holding a stop in free water with no reference is really tough IME. It's one of the things I really struggle with. If the vis is poor, the movement of particles (relative to you) can help. If not, it's really hard unless you have a squared away buddy to use as a depth reference, or have shot a sausage. Your depth gauge/computer will as a rule react too slowly to be of much help.

I prefer to shoot a sausage.

To be able to stop in green water especially within the last 6m is a real skill. You need to have good positioning, awareness of changes of how your kit feels (gives you a hint of change in depth), being relaxed but not sloppy and looking at your dive timer/computer is vital. Its really practice. But as others have said use your dsmb, but do not be negatively buoyant hanging from your reel/spool, its poor control, and you feel it.

As several others have mentioned, particles in the water. If you primary challenge is regulate an ascent rate without a fixed reference, then particles in the water.

In my experience, it is also easiest to try to stay just slightly negative, so you gently kick up. If the particles are moving down,then you are moving up. When that happens, stop kicking and exhale.

The particles should stop, then take a gentle kick and inhale and then think about venting some air.

It may be easier to envision the ascent as a series of slow movements and then short stops. In other words, you move up 3 or 5 feet slowly, then completely stop kicking and presumably stop for a few moments and then if you are still floating up, dump air and kick a little

So if you attempt as ascent that resembles climbing a set of stairs it is much easier to control the assent rate, compared to trying to manage a perfectly uniform, unvarying ascent rate that looks like a perfect slope. Moving up 3 or 5 feet, then being completely still and checking your buoyancy (via particles) should result in a very controlled and proper ascent rate. And if you are completely stopping the ascent ever 5 feet or so, it is very unlikely that you are going to lose control and float up. Stopping 10 or 30 times on the ascent pretty much assures that things are not going to get out of hand.

This is a good skill should you lose a buddy and also your computer during a dive.

If you are trying to hold a safety stop without fixed reference, it is harder to just use particles, because you can ever so slowly sink or rise and the particles won't show you much and you can drift up or down over a minute or so without noticing. If you have to perform a stop without reference and no depth gauge, you can train your self to look at the surface and estimate depth - assuming the water is clear enough for that.

Of course if you have a reel and dsmb, just slowly reel yourself up, that is about as simple as it gets - but that wasn't the original question.

if you have a reel and dsmb, just slowly reel yourself up, that is about as simple as it gets - but that wasn't the original question.

In fact you are addressing the original question. One tip to deal with maintaining neutral buoyancy without a fixed reference is to create one.

I keep my arm out in front with the display in view showing depth, once dialled in I usually sit fine as long as I keep my breathing consistent. Same when holding on to a line.

it’s hard. Look for movement of particles in the water. If they are all doing down, it’s probably you going up. I’ve been told you can tell with you ears too, but I can’t.

I think this is the best way. Computers take a few seconds to show changes and the precision is not very high. Ears might not be that sensitive, too. But particles - you see their movement immediately .

I use my computer, or when doing something complex like shooting an smb my buddy. It's hard to stay exactly on depth in the blue/green, not matter how experienced you are. After time/practice you develop a sense for ascending or descending. This helps a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom