Boynton Beach Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just a cool thing, it's every boaters duty.

Regulation 33 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life At Sea (SOLAS) Chapter V states:

"The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving a signal from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance,

According To The Merchant Ship Search and Rescue Manual (MERSAR):

"It is accepted as the normal practice of seamen, indeed there is an obligation upon masters, that they render every assistance within their power in cases where a person or persons are in distress at sea. These obligations are set out in regulation V/10 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea."

We all know that human nature being what it is...there are many areas where the minimum required is what get's done.
These operators have taken it a step much farther than what is required....adding sharp skills to the pick up, and they go for a 5 Star like feeling of Hospitality for those being picked up...
When you find yourself on the surface and your own boat no where to be seen--this can be traumatic for some divers----and it is nice to have another nice boat right there that is asking you aboard, and giving you the red carpet treatment. That's what I meant.

Not just a cool thing, it's every boaters duty.

Regulation 33 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life At Sea (SOLAS) Chapter V states:

"The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving a signal from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance,

According To The Merchant Ship Search and Rescue Manual (MERSAR):

"It is accepted as the normal practice of seamen, indeed there is an obligation upon masters, that they render every assistance within their power in cases where a person or persons are in distress at sea. These obligations are set out in regulation V/10 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea."

Not exactly. US flagged vessels on coastwise voyages are not subject to IMO or SOLAS. Sorry, it's back to a cool thing.

Not exactly. US flagged vessels on coastwise voyages are not subject to IMO or SOLAS. Sorry, it's back to a cool thing.

SOLAS is overrated anyway :wink:

that said, I'm glad that the crew was able to respond in the manner they did. Another reason I love diving with Kev, even if it has been a long time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Kevin & crew! And whoever was this guy's buddy. Nice work to you too!!

Just would like too know how deep was dive?
Glad all is well with diver. Good job
Max is around 110......it is an awesome wreck, but if the diver is not advanced, or is not paying attention to bottom time and gas left........, There is so much going on-- it can make this one of the upper limit dives for recreational divers.... ...check out this video I shot of it....
[video=youtube_share;PIaXVw61qJI]http://youtu.be/PIaXVw61qJI[/video]

Last edited:
Is there any follow-up information on the rescued diver? I thought maybe there would be additional facts on local TV or in the newspaper or in discussion by the local diving community.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I think about it frequently, first time anyone has been injured on a boat I was using.

Thanks, Craig

Craig, its richie,,,, girl from boat texed me last weekend said he was comming off respirator and had pnemonia, he will be ok , just need time to repair his lungs, look forward to diving with you again sometime

Hey Richie,

Great news, very glad to hear.

Thank your mom again for giving me a ride back to the marina. Hope to see you again in Boynton Beach.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom