Boynton Beach, or Jupiter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nivek Llekots

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I had more or less made my mind up to take my next dive vacation in Jupiter. Then I met a guy on the dive boat today in Sint Maarten, who lives in the West Palm Beach area, and he said he thought the diving was better in Boynton Beach.

So now I'm not sure what to do, I suppose I could try both, has anyone here dived both and if so which is you're favorite and why?

Thanks Nivek

Yes.

They are so close, experience them both.

I agree with Jax: do both. In Jupiter, you're more likely to see big marine life like sharks, turtles, goliath grouper, etc. Boyton has these too but the odds of seeing them are better in Jupiter, in my experience. The reef is much prettier in Boyton. I live near jupiter so dive there quite a bit but occasionally run down to Boyton for fun

They are perhaps 45 minutes apart depending on where exactly you stay, not too bad at all for driving between the two.

Living here, I tend to dive Jupiter more often. Emerald Charters will take great care of you but watch out, the shop they book through, Scubaworks, will be asking you what you are breathing, and asking for appropriate certifications. Only shop I've seen that doesn't own the boat and makes up rules like that, which is unfortunate as they gave me so much hassle, I haven't felt like going back. I miss the days when Randy wasn't so busy that he would let you book directly with him. Jupiter Dive Center is also great but still, don't miss a trip with Randy if you are visiting. Great and fun guy.

In Boynton Beach, check out Underwater Explorers at Dive Boynton Beach. Kevin is one of the best captains around and runs a true 6 pack. I don't like closed transom boats but he makes up for it with customer service.

And of course since you are here, check out tides and see if you can make a dive at Blue Heron Bridge. You have to go the hour before and hour after high tide, but the macro wildlife is really nice.

The visibility is better down south, the current is usually much less down south, there are more abundant reefs in 60 ft or less down south, the boat rides are often shorter down south and the composition of the reefs is MUCH different between the two areas. There is much. much more color on the reefs in Boynton. The difference in the ecosystems between the two areas that are maybe 30 miles apart is absolutely amazing.

If you were to travel another 50 miles past Jupiter to Ft. Pierce, things are very, very different than boynton. the bathymetry changes hugely between these areas, the propensity to experience very cold upwellings (in the lower 50 degree range) is very different and the proximity to the Gulf stream is also very different.

I generally like Jupiter alot better than boynton, but if you want pretty fish and sponges in shallow, clear water, then you will like boynton better.

The visibility is better down south, the current is usually much less down south, there are more abundant reefs in 60 ft or less down south, the boat rides are often shorter down south and the composition of the reefs is MUCH different between the two areas. There is much. much more color on the reefs in Boynton. The difference in the ecosystems between the two areas that are maybe 30 miles apart is absolutely amazing.

If you were to travel another 50 miles past Jupiter to Ft. Pierce, things are very, very different than boynton. the bathymetry changes hugely between these areas, the propensity to experience very cold upwellings (in the lower 50 degree range) is very different and the proximity to the Gulf stream is also very different.

I generally like Jupiter alot better than boynton, but if you want pretty fish and sponges in shallow, clear water, then you will like boynton better.

dD is pretty much correct. I live in Hypoluxo part-time and do more of my diving in Boynton Beach. The reef is much prettier and there are far more Caribbean reef fish. It is shallower, dives are longer. Both have many turtles and Nurse Sharks. Jupiter has real sharks and more Goliath Grouper on the reef. There is a resident Goliath Grouper population on the Castor in Boynton Beach and in late August, September, it is a Goliath Grouper aggregation site second to none. This is a deeper site.

I dive in both Boynton Beach and Jupiter because they are complimentary. I'm lucky enough to live 3 miles from Boynton Harbor Marina, 30 miles from Jupiter, and only 15 miles from the BHB, I am indeed, a lucky man.

You can't go wrong, good diving, Craig

Depends on what you're after. My guess? If you're coming in from the Caribbean, Boynton's reefs are going to have you wondering if this trip was really necessary. Nicer coral yes, but there are still some spots left in the Keys that blow it out of the water. The one attraction I've found in Boynton that would be worth the trip is the wreck of the Castor, which should still be chock full of goliath grouper at that time of year (and you'll find those in Jupiter, just not maybe in the dozens on one wreck).

Jupiter and West Palm are really something to travel for, in my opinion. The variety of bigger critters is impressive, especially considering it's within a few minutes of a major metropolitan area rather than some isolated island or undeveloped coastline. I've seen more turtles, sharks, and large fish there than the rest of my dive spots put together. That includes the Great Barrier Reef, Southern California, and Grand Cayman. Even before starting on the Emerald (where "you will see sharks" means "be prepared to nudge one out of your face") I mostly abandoned diving anywhere else in Florida on my own time.

As far as ScubaWorks, I haven't had much of a problem with them on Emerald dives. I can imagine why they might be a bit anal-retentive with non-regulars; the dive profiles on Emerald will max out your no-deco time and I was read the riot act once after admitting I went way into deco on my third dive of the day. On the flip side, their steel tanks are filled to the brim and if you request it they can give you some pretty good nitrox mixes (37-38%). The reason I overstayed my time that one day was because I was breathing off a steel 120 filled to 3800 psi; I had a total 90-minute dive with a max depth of 90 feet and still came back up the ladder with 1000 psi to spare.

Overall, I'd say do both if you can. If it's one or the other, stick with Jupiter. If you're confident in your advanced dive skills and experience and don't mind setting out a buffet for the sharks, Emerald is a must. If you're looking for something more low-key where you have time to stop and look around, Capt SL8R, JDC, Narcosis, Ocean Quest, or one of the other charters up in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area will fit the bill.

Depends on what you're after. My guess? If you're coming in from the Caribbean, Boynton's reefs are going to have you wondering if this trip was really necessary. Nicer coral yes, but there are still some spots left in the Keys that blow it out of the water. The one attraction I've found in Boynton that would be worth the trip is the wreck of the Castor, which should still be chock full of goliath grouper at that time of year (and you'll find those in Jupiter, just not maybe in the dozens on one wreck).

Jupiter and West Palm are really something to travel for, in my opinion. The variety of bigger critters is impressive, especially considering it's within a few minutes of a major metropolitan area rather than some isolated island or undeveloped coastline. I've seen more turtles, sharks, and large fish there than the rest of my dive spots put together. That includes the Great Barrier Reef, Southern California, and Grand Cayman. Even before starting on the Emerald (where "you will see sharks" means "be prepared to nudge one out of your face") I mostly abandoned diving anywhere else in Florida on my own time.

As far as ScubaWorks, I haven't had much of a problem with them on Emerald dives. I can imagine why they might be a bit anal-retentive with non-regulars; the dive profiles on Emerald will max out your no-deco time and I was read the riot act once after admitting I went way into deco on my third dive of the day. On the flip side, their steel tanks are filled to the brim and if you request it they can give you some pretty good nitrox mixes (37-38%). The reason I overstayed my time that one day was because I was breathing off a steel 120 filled to 3800 psi; I had a total 90-minute dive with a max depth of 90 feet and still came back up the ladder with 1000 psi to spare.

Overall, I'd say do both if you can. If it's one or the other, stick with Jupiter. If you're confident in your advanced dive skills and experience and don't mind setting out a buffet for the sharks, Emerald is a must. If you're looking for something more low-key where you have time to stop and look around, Capt SL8R, JDC, Narcosis, Ocean Quest, or one of the other charters up in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area will fit the bill.

Every place and operator has its fans.

I beg to differ. Boynton beach has it in number, diversity, and size of reef fish over most Florida and Caribbean dive sites. I spent years looking for a dive home, previously owned a place on Grand Cayman, settled on Hypoluxo. Of course, I previously mentioned my striking distance to Jupiter and BHB.

If you want shark feeding, Emerald is probably for you. HD is correct about the other operators, I have extensive experience with JDC. I did 3 phenomenal Lemon Shark dives with them on Area 29 in early February sans feeding

personally I prefer Jupiter. BUT....

Jupiter is THE place for big sealife. hammerheads, turtles, various sharks, manta rays, even an occasional whale shark. really some awesome diving. Jupiter is for drift diving and potentially a moderate or sometimes stiff current. Jupiter diving is also deeper. Most sites tend to be 70-90 feet. Advanced Open Water and Nitrox is STRONGLY recommended for Jupiter.

Boynton Beach has prettier reef and more sites in the 60 feet or less range. The current tends to be less as well. Less chance of the big sealife but more sites for the Open Water certified divers. Less need for nitrox (but I recommend that for all but very shallow dives).

for some fun go dive at Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach. You MUST dive during the slack tide (1 hour before high tide). you will see amazing things in depths of 20 feet or less.

Hopefully this is seen as enhancing this thread not hijacking it

I will also be going back to WPB this summer(6th time I think) and I've NEVER dived in Jupiter. I will get away with 3 days of diving and one of those will hopefully be a morning and afternoon trip (so 4 dives) with Kevin at Underwater Explorers in Boynton
Now what do I do with the other 2 days .
The dates I'm looking at will be Mon Aug 17th-Wed19th
I like small boats like Kevin's as I'm not a big fan of the old cattle trucks. How busy are the larger boats likely to be early in the week in Aug?
The earlier the departure the better as it means I can get back to spend some time with the family

I notice Emerald have a 3 tank trip. Is that the norm? or do they usually do just a 2 tank?

I have dived BHB 3 times but would never get bored of it so I might do that on day 3(19th) as the timings could work with high tide at midday, or do I do a 2 tank trip out of Jupiter or even WPB. I have dived with an op out of WPB on each visit, so whilst I would not turn my nose up at it, it would not be new

The Jupiter shops I am looking at are Emerald, JDC and Capt Sl8r. I'm not limiting it to that though so any other recommendations are welcome too

Finally, to Vivek. Whilst I can't help on teh Jupiter or Boynton I can certainly say that diving with Kevin at Boynton is my number one choice. The last 2 years he has had to call the trip off due to weather or lack of any other divers so I'm really hoping that this year I will see him again
BHB is also a must do, as has been mentioned many times

Thanks for any help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom