BP/W advice in S. Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark Bait!

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in the S. Florida area, and im looking for advise on the different BP/W configurations. Yes i have done a search on them, but alot of what i've read doesn't make sence since i don't know the abbreviations/ lingo and technical details that makes the DIR, BP/W setups more favored orver the rear inflate BC or jacket styles BC. So does anyone know a good LDS that i can go to so i can further my knowledge, or have the time personally to let me pick there brains on the topic? I'm going to buy a BC in the next couple months and trying to figure out if a rear infalte BC would be better suited for me or if i should just jump into a BP/W from the start????

I live in the S. Florida area, and im looking for advise on the different BP/W configurations. Yes i have done a search on them, but alot of what i've read doesn't make sence since i don't know the abbreviations/ lingo and technical details that makes the DIR, BP/W setups more favored orver the rear inflate BC or jacket styles BC. So does anyone know a good LDS that i can go to so i can further my knowledge, or have the time personally to let me pick there brains on the topic? I'm going to buy a BC in the next couple months and trying to figure out if a rear infalte BC would be better suited for me or if i should just jump into a BP/W from the start????

There is a potentially bewildering range of BP&W's available today. If you haven't had first hand experience it can be tough to pick out what you need.

Plates. Stainless steel or light weight? That's a function of your ballast requirements. If you need ~6 lbs of ballast in addition to your tank and reg you should consider a Stainless plate vs an aluminum or Kydex plate.

Plate size. Your height is the primary factor in picking a plate size. If you are 5'5" ~6' most "regular" plates will be the right length.

Wing capacity. How much lift you will require is a function of the buoyancy of your exposure suit. Thick suits can loose a lot of buoyancy at depth, and require a lot of ballast, thin suits much less of both. I expect in So. Florida you are using pretty thin exposure suits.

Harness type. My first recommendation is a simple single piece "Hogarthian" style harness, unless you have a specific need for something else.

If you would like a specific recommendation please let me know.

Tobin

Go to Tobin. Tell him how you dive, and buy what he recommends. His website has the best deals on BP/W setups that I have found. He only sells quality gear, and he gives great advice.

skip the traditional BC. waste of money.

The only thing I bought from him is a couple of hog harnesses, but that is because I didn't find his site until after I bought my bp and w.

not to mention he gives advice in your thread w/o even mentioning that he sells the stuff you are looking for.

Well im about 5'10 187lbs, LIke you siad i dont think i would be using a suit over 3mm as i live in S. Florida, and frequent the caribbean alot.

Well im about 5'10 187lbs, LIke you siad i dont think i would be using a suit over 3mm as i live in S. Florida, and frequent the caribbean alot.

At 5'10 you can use a medium plate.

3mm suits are typically 4-5 lbs buoyant, and aluminum 80 tanks are +4 lbs empty. That means a diver using a 3mm suit and al 80 needs about 8 lbs of ballast.

A Medium Stainless Steel plate and harness is about -6 lbs, and a regulator is about -2.

Many dive using only their plate, harness and regulator as ballast.

A medium plate, harness, reg, and full al 80 will be about -10 lbs, so you need a wing with more than 10 lbs of lift. Your suit can't loose more buoyancy than it starts with, or about 4-5 lbs, so any wing that can float your rig can also compensate for the maximum change in buoyancy of your 3mm suit.

I'd suggest:

Medium SS plate
small wing, 17-20 lbs is fine
Hogarthian Harness.

Tobin

So what is the difference between the different plates and wing styles? Do th plates have any padding for the back?

Although you can get a pad and attach it to the plate, I have never needed one. I know this sounds implausible, when you look at that hard piece of steel, but it's true - it is very comfortable.

All the best, James

So what is the difference between the different plates and wing styles? Do th plates have any padding for the back?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

There are different plates, but the key differences are material type, i.e. stainless steel vs lightweight. For your application you can narrow the choices to Medium, Stainless Steel.

There are different wings, many, many different wings. For your application you can again narrow your choices to single tanks wings of modest lift, 17-20 lbs.

Tobin

It seems as though other than materials (stainless steel - SS, Aluminimum - AL, or ABS - plastic) most plates are pretty standard.

I just recently switched myself and found that a SS plate with a SS tank gave me the correct bouyancy, but put all the weight on my back so if I leaned to the side a bit I was being pulled to roll over. A SS plate with an AL tank and a few pounds in the weight belt seemed to be most stable. (really really stable) and I am using an AL plate with a SS tank and find it's not too far off, however the weight is a little farther away from the body, so not quite as ideal.

If you are going to use a HOG harness, that's a one piece webbing, they all work the same. Some brands of webbing seem to be softer or stiffer depending. But there is a pretty standard configuration on how they go together, but there are some variations. (ex. For my wife we added a quick release buckle with 8 inches of webbing under the left chest D-ring but didn't cut the webbing. When unclipped this allows a little extra room to get in and out of which was a concern of hers. I however found I didn't need it.)

As far as wings go there's a few options. First there are single and doubles wings that correspond to your tanks. As a S. FL diver most of us don't dive doubles so we're looking for singles. There are a few wings that claim to do both. This was initially what I was looking for as my though was - Hey some day I might dive doubles. Let me save the cost. This isn't the best idea. It seems that those wings tend to "taco" on a single tank. That's where it wraps around a bit. the trapped has is harder to vent - more drag - you get the idea.

Wings also come in the classic horseshoe shape or doughnuts. The difference here is if the bottom of the wing allows gas to pass from side to side. In a horseshoe it does not. I have a doughnut and I've heard a few people say if they had it to do over they'd go with a doughnut. I tried a horseshoe and found that If I was in a good head down position the gas may trap to one side. In order to move it around to the side with the dump I had to change my trim and lean. I am sure this gets easier as you get used to it, but I'm on the work smarter not harder camp so the doughnut seems like an easier way to do it.

There are some other options like a bungied or non-bungied wing. I can tell you that DIR is strict non-bungie and they give reasons such as entanglement on the external bungies and gas trapping. I have not tried a bungied wing so I can speak of any benifits, but I can see the reasoning on the non-bungied.

Some other things in the construction area are inflator hose length. DIR seems to lean that a little shorter is better. There's the pull dumps - and knob or no knob. Again a ball is seen as a possible entanglement so it is not DIR desirable. And is it a single wall construction or a bladder inside of a shell.

Finding shops that stock the stuff down here seems to be a little tougher. But there are some... I was sold the first time I tried it. The BP/W seems to move with you much more. I noticed my trim got better and I could make much better small adjustments. Instead of trying to find a BC with a good fit, you can make the harness custom fit you.

Hope that helped a little. Good luck!

Cool Hardware 52 and Goindrinkn, thaks for the reply and information, this as helped me quite a bit in understanding the principles behind it. So as Goindrinkin has stated, it is kinda had to find shops that have BP/W, so how does one go about finding a backplate that is comfortable to them? I see there are alot of different manufactures making them now, other then the sizing and materials (SS, AL, Kydex, Hybrid)is the only difference between all the backplates just in the fine detailing? I've seen them range from $85-300..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom