BP/W and weights - where is it best put?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVideo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm just getting back into diving after a layoff of 7 years due to some injuries. One of which is back/neck which I am now recovered from as good as I will ever get. In preparation for this I have changed up my equipment. First order of business was a DUI TLS350 which for the two pool sessions I've had, I love it.

Second order of business was to change from a ScubaPro Stabilizer Jacket to a Halcyon Infinity BP/W which is 30# lift. It is a SS BP and 6# STA.

I made this change for two reasons, the jacket was too small now with a DS on and I read a lot about the BP/W setup here. It seems like the best solution to keeping some of the weight onto the center of my back and away from my neck and lower back.

The problem:
If I don't inflate my BP/W on the surface, when I take it off it is sinking. 6# SS BP + 6# STA + 11# for S80 when full is 23# plus 4# trim weights and its a sinker if not full. None of this takes into account the remaining 20# I need.

With the TLS350 I have two layers of Fourth Element. In the pool I was 13#(not including the rig) without hood or gloves and with a S72 full tank. My normal tank is a HP S80 which is -11 full and -6 at 500psi.

So I'm thinking I will be forced kicking, dragging and screaming into wearing a weight belt again:surrender:

I would like to distribute the weight to some on the harness and some on the hips, but this does not seem possible with a 30# lift.

What are my options? I'm thinking either 20# in a pocketed soft weight belt or DUI weight and trim system. The DUI system would put the weight right on my shoulders where I can handle it best VS the hips where it effects my lower back. What do you think?

I have a shell drysuit and a Halcyon rig similar to yours. Being comfortable in a BP/W and drysuit is all about going back to basics...

First, make sure that you're weighted properly. This can be more difficult to do with a drysuit (vs. wetsuit) because one factor influencing your minimum weighting requirements is how much air you have inside the suit during your weight check. You've described a great deal of weight, which may be what you really need, I don't know.

Second, distribute the weight in a way that makes it easy to have good static horizontal trim. I've found that the reasonably priced XS Scuba weight pockets ($10 each) work great on the tank cambands. Heavier fins (Hollis F1, Scubapro Jetfins, XS Scuba Turtlefins, etc.) or ankle weights might be helpful. A weight harness or weightbelt are other useful tools. The DUI Weight and Trim harness makes carrying weight at the hips so comfortable -- you'll see. Be patient with the whole process. It takes some trial and error. You can achieve all of this a lot faster with the assistance of an experienced drysuit diver or instructor. When distributing the weight, it's good practice to make sure that your rig with fully inflated wing and full tank can float itself (without you in it). As you know, some people who dive from small boats (RIBs) toss their gear overboard and don it in the water. It's tough to slip into the rig if it sinks to the bottom before you can grab it. :D

I'd recommend borrowing the DUI W/T from a buddy to see if you like it before buying it. The harness does an excellent job of distributing weight across the shoulders. If you were in the San Diego area, I'd offer to lend you mine for a dive or two. The only disadvantage I've encountered with the DUI W/T is when doing small boat diving in which divers throw their weights in the boat and doff their rig in the water prior to re-boarding. If a diver pulls on the ditch handles to rid himself of the weight, it won't be a fun time re-threading the plastic cable on a pitching boat for Dive #2. There are ways around this, though.

As a side note, your tank is another variable that can be changed out. I'm not familiar with a HP "S80" tank, but the HP80 tanks that I've seen are reeeeally short. This can complicate distributing the weight properly across you and your rig. Most of the drysuit divers around here use HP100 or larger tanks. AL80s trim out fine as well but require more ballast due to their buoyancy characteristics.
I would like to distribute the weight to some on the harness and some on the hips, but this does not seem possible with a 30# lift.
Why not?

I'm sure others will be able to share more tips. People are quite helpful here on SB. Good luck with everything...

DUI weight harness would be my reccomendation. its similar to a suspenders option, except it has dumpable pockets for your weight.

something like this

DUI Weight & Trim "Classic" Weight Harness System

good luck getting that lady though

As said above, depending on your height an HP80 might be too short of a tank leading you to go head down (A 100cf or bigger might be a better option at some point). A weight belt might just be your best option to keep the weight low. The weight belt should be trapped by the crotch strap so you have less of a chance of loosing it.

Keeping enough weight on your person so you can ditch and don your rig underwater is something many would consider important. That means not having all your weight on your rig. Then you will remain mostly neutral instead of you heading to the surface and your rig heading to the bottom.

Thanks for the tips, and I have been in the pool with instructors for 2 two hour pool sessions. I'm planning more time in a friends pool who is also an instructor. I had no problems in the pool with 13# on the hips and none in the trim pockets as I would turtle with any in them. Being new to DS I suppose its possible I still had some air in their, but the instructors - 3 of them were paying close attention. I had a good squeeze going on everywhere. I use to wear 24# with a farmer john 7mm and the SP Jacket so this doesn't seem like a big stretch - I'm also 30# heavier.

I use SP Jetfins and I have the XS pockets on the bands. I could not use them in the pool but I think once I add more weight for hood, gloves, salt water and 500psi tank, I will be putting some in the trim pockets.

And yea, the tank is a shorty.

I'm wondering about the DUI W&T with those extra straps across the shoulders along with the harness.

As said above, depending on your height an HP80 might be too short of a tank leading you to go head down (A 100cf or bigger might be a better option at some point). A weight belt might just be your best option to keep the weight low. The weight belt should be trapped by the crotch strap so you have less of a chance of loosing it.

Keeping enough weight on your person so you can ditch and don your rig underwater is something many would consider important. That means not having all your weight on your rig. Then you will remain mostly neutral instead of you heading to the surface and your rig heading to the bottom.

Sounds reasonable, I would like to stay with the rig if I have to remove it :D. I'm a short guy at 5'8" so the short 80 has actually been a good match form me. I've dove with 100's before too and they are a bit tall but manageable.

Thanks for the tips, and I have been in the pool with instructors for 2 two hour pool sessions. I'm planning more time in a friends pool who is also an instructor. I had no problems in the pool with 13# on the hips and none in the trim pockets as I would turtle with any in them. Being new to DS I suppose its possible I still had some air in their, but the instructors - 3 of them were paying close attention. I had a good squeeze going on everywhere. I use to wear 24# with a farmer john 7mm and the SP Jacket so this doesn't seem like a big stretch - I'm also 30# heavier.

I use SP Jetfins and I have the XS pockets on the bands. I could not use them in the pool but I think once I add more weight for hood, gloves, salt water and 500psi tank, I will be putting some in the trim pockets.
Don't hesitate to play around with placement of the camband trim weight pockets. I settled on putting pocket #1 on the top tank camband on one side and pocket #2 on the lower tank camband on the other side. That's what works for me.

FWIW, I still think that the weighting requirements you described seem like a lot for someone of your size. I'd be surprised if you are using that much weight several months from now. Are you wearing the Fourth Element Arctic with Xerotherm underneath? If so, that probably has something to do with it.

Do another weight check in all your cold water gear once you make it to the ocean. There's no substitute for it. :)

Using Artic and DryBase - hoping I don't need the Xerotherm, which I have just in case.
One of my dive buddies uses a similar undergarment configuration (Fourth Element Arctic + polypro underwear) with a Whites Fusion suit (shell drysuit comparable to TLS), but his weighting requirements are much lower than yours. He's bigger than you, too. That's just an observation, and it doesn't prove that you are overweighted. After all, we could probably agree that bodies of different people can have dissimilar inherent buoyancy characteristics.

Let us know how things work out...

Back
Top Bottom