BP/W, doubles and other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, despite of my best intentions to retain some flexibility and be open for future development, it seems that the best options for now would be:
->BP+harness
->Single Tank Adapter
->Single tank wing

Single Tank Adapter is only necessary for certain wings. For example, the Halcyon singles wing you're looking at requires a separate STA.

Other wings, like DSS, have stabilizers built into the wing.

Be advised that certain singles wings don't require an STA. I know DSS Torus line does not, as well as the Oxycheq Mach V, some others. It would behoove you to check on the necessity of the item before purchasing.

STA's are a love/hate item. Either they have a use for you (extra weight, better tank stability, etc.) or they are just a hindrance. As well, most are very vocal about their decision so do your own research to decide on your kit.

Edit: Don just beat me to the punch.

Peace,
Greg

Thank you for your help.

The answer to your question - "why doubles" is: I want to go for technical diving in future. So, I thought, why not start gaining doubles diving skills right now... and minimize costs by buying only one BCD instead of two.

But, looking at your responses (especially concerning the problems when you don't have your own tanks) I think I will do better by sticking to single tank diving for a while until I decide to take my first technical course.

So, despite of my best intentions to retain some flexibility and be open for future development, it seems that the best options for now would be:
->BP+harness
->Single Tank Adapter
->Single tank wing

Well, the good point is that still, at the end of the day, I will be able to use the same BP+harness in future...

Have a look at the Apeks wings, I use a WTX3 with an aluminium backplate for my single cylinder/holiday diving, and they're a fair bit cheaper than Halcyon kit over here - you should be able to find the lot for ~£250.

Oh yes, on this side of the pond two cylinders are called twins/twinset, not doubles. If you call them doubles you come across as a pretentious wanker :)

I'm one of the divers that really like the STA with weight that can be removed. For AL80 You can use the STA 6lbs weight then remove it if using a steel 100. As long as your diving with two tanks that are the same it's never an issue.

Now that I made the switch to doubles I really only use the single tank set up for vacation. It's really nice to dive the same rig in so many different configurations. I knew I was going with double steel 100's so I use an Al back plate. Even with a Dry Suit I have no other weight. The system really works for me.:D

Wow! lots of good advice from people on SB who are very competent Very competent.
I have a Hog edge wing which I love.My wife has a DSS wing which she loves.
But if I were you,I would re-read the post from cool hardware 52 (TOBIN) and I would
PM him on all your technical questions.He is without question the one person to advise
you on your special needs.You will not go wrong and you will save a bundle with tobin.
also, it's ok to PM him and ask what you will,it's his business. This is not an isolated
opinion,there are hundreds on the board who will concur with this.
Best of luck, PORBEAGLE

1.Is there such a thing as recreational diving on twin tanks?
Absolutely. Whether you use one set of doubles for two dives (as suggested) or do a somewhat extended single dive that keeps you within NDL, doubles are NOT exclusively associated with 'technical' diving.
2.OK, I accept that there exists "doubles recreational diving" but.. how popular is it? I don't want to pretend to be "tech", or, as some people might think - show off - by using twins.
In part, the answer is influenced by where you are. Off the NC coast, where you are looking at a 2 hour boatride to a two dive charter on the enjoyable wrecks, I frequently see divers (and am one, myself) who take one set of doubles to complete two recreational dives. You would not be looked at as someone who is showing off, or pretending to be 'tech'. I cannot speak for other areas of the world.
theriel:
Can I easily rent doubles everywhere in the world? Basically - what types of questions should I ask myself before buying either single or double tanks?
Generally, you cannot easily rent manifolded doubles. However, you CAN rent two single tanks. And, although (double tank) sidemount diving has been around for 5-6 decades, it is rapidly gaining broader popularity now, as a lot of equipment to support sidemount diving has begun appearing on the market in the past several years, and sidemount has moved out of the canister light of caves, into the sun light of day. I think that may turn out to be the easiest path into doubles diving in the near future. You can buy individual tanks and use them as singles, then use them together for sidemounted doubles. So, while a BP/W is a good suggestion for single tank and backmounted doubles diving, and one I used to make routinely myself, you might also think about a rig that would support both single tank diving and double tank sidemount diving. Just yesterday afternoon, I was in the pool with a dive buddy who is a very experienced diver, and fellow instructor, as he was familiarizing himself with his new Nomad sidemount rig. He commented on how much easier to use, and more stable, his sidemount rig was compared to his back-mounted doubles.
theriel:
2.Could somebody explain me what BP/W *really* consists of (I mean, which parts do you usually buy separately)? Is it the wing + harness + plate, or is it just 2 part -> plate (with harness) + wing?
You can purchase all three together, or purchase a BP/harness together and a wing separately, or purchase all three separately. The latter approach is my preference / recommendation, but there are many good 'deals' on a single package.
theriel:
3. ... is it possible to buy a system both for doubles and single tank diving?
The BP and harness should serve both, quite well. You are best served by having different wings for single tank (smaller) and double tank diving.
theriel:
4.What is the difference between Aluminium and Stainless Steel backplates? (yeah, I know, the material, but... practically - why would you choose one over the other?)
The selection depends on your exposure suit, your intrinsic buoyancy (which may reflect what exposure suit you are using, among other things), and whether you are diving fresh or salt water. It may also reflect whether you are traveling with your rig to dive destinations. The SS BP is heavier, some find it useful for single tank diving, and double AL tank (or even double HP steel tank diving), DRY. Since it is heavier, it may create a baggage weight limit violation in air travel. Others find the AL plate well suited for wetsuit double steel diving.

Last edited:
"2.OK, I accept that there exists "doubles recreational diving" but.. how popular is it? I don't want to pretend to be "tech", or, as some people might think - show off - by using twins. Also, I don't have my own tanks and I am not planning to buy them. Can I easily rent doubles everywhere in the world? Basically - what types of questions should I ask myself before buying either single or double tanks?"

You have lots of answers from people more qualified than myself regarding your other questions, but you seem stuck on not "looking out of place".

I dive double 120's, exclusively. It's my only dive set-up, unless I'm DM'ing a class. I had 2 reasons for my choice:
1-money. I couldn't afford a different rig for every situation. So,with lots of mentoring from my instructor, I chose one that was the most versatile for my area.
2-at some point in the future, just like you, I want to go technical and eventually trimix. So my instructor (who teaches all the way through trimix) suggested the 120's. By the time I'm ready to go tech, I'll have tons of experience in my doubles and feel very comfortable.

Around here, in Monterey, Ca, there are a few people who dive doubles routinely, but they are also tech. So far, no one has jumped my case for "trying to look like a tech diver". The only comments I get are from people who say they feel more comfortable knowing someone in the group has enough gas to handle most emergencies:cool3:

Back
Top Bottom