bp/w harness type and time of use

Since using a bp/w what system choices applies to you (min 30 dives in bp/w)?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Aluminum backplate is $48 dollars, a steel backplate is $75... $48+$26=$74 or $75+$26=$101
$74 is less than $375(Transpac) $101 is less than $375(Transpac)....

Nice pricing I've seen AL for $60 and SS for $99 and then the $26 for the webbing but what about the D-rings and other hardware that most divers would want. It's include with a transpac.
Oh and a DSS SS backplate is listed for $214 on the DSS website since that seems to be a favorite of members here.

The same amount that you have that those that choose that style harness did not have a qualified back plate user / mentor.

Your original assumption and the way you try to turn around everyone else's statements however does lend merit to FnFalman's and other SB members assertion about what is really taking place every time a different opinion is posted.

Hardware comes with the Dive Rite Basic Harness or Oxycheq basic harness as well for 26 dollars. For pricing on it, and backplates check http://www.caveadventurers.com/store/

Note; The absence of triglides to hold the shoulder strap length constant in the Dive Rite Basic Harness is disappointing, id be willing to pay an extra dollar or two for them :shakehead:. Again with the Oxycheq basic harness, the absence of the of the Gromet in the middle of the webbing for the bolt to go through is disappointing as well. If I were to buy another harness I'd buy Halcyon, but I make do. :(

Last edited:
The same amount that you have that those that choose that style harness did not have a qualified back plate user / mentor.

Ok, since you keep asking.....

There are only a handful of training agencies that specifically require the use of a single piece harness. I'll call these Group 1

I'm not claiming that only these agencies can produce quality divers, but it does stand to reason for a student to succeed in courses taught by these agencies the instructor would need to be proficient in teaching how to use a BP&W.

Most other agencies (Group 2) will accept a much wider range of harness and BC options, making it entirely possible for a diver to receive little to no instruction on how to set and use a single piece harness.

Is it possible that a diver could receive good well qualified instruction on Hog harness setup and use from a Group 2 instructor? Of course, but it's also possible they did not.

Is it possible that a diver could attain a certification from a Group 1 instructor without demonstrating some competence with a Hog rigged BP&W? Much less likely.

I have no reason to doubt than any of the Comfort Harness respondents are anything other than good well trained divers, but I just don't see any of them including any training from Group 1 agencies.

That leaves open the possibility that their choice in harnesses was at least in part due to lack of training or mentoring in the use of one.

I speculated about that possibility here:

It's reasonable to assume some of this 8% may not have had the benefit of good mentoring / instruction on how to set up and use a single piece harness.

My assumption was based on a review of the profiles, but lacking certainty I qualified my conclusion.

Tobin

I started with one piece. When I rigged one for my daughter, she wanted to try the dive rite deluxe? the one with the chest strap. I rigged in my size first to see if it offered an improvement for me. Not really. Then when I rigged it for her, she did not like the chest strap.

Ok, since you keep asking.....

There are only a handful of training agencies that specifically require the use of a single piece harness. I'll call these Group 1

I'm not claiming that only these agencies can produce quality divers, but it does stand to reason for a student to succeed in courses taught by these agencies the instructor would need to be proficient in teaching how to use a BP&W.

You certainly are not claiming you are implying it to justify a position that can not be proved or disproved in fact.
The point is you and a group of your peers seem to dogpile on anyone that feels that one of the other options is a better choice for them.
The group that choose adjustable appear to be much less resistant to Individual choices but your group will not even allow them their opinion like it may poisoning the water.
It just isn't that cut and dry with all the different activities that make up this sport.

I have nothing more to say on this subject beyond it's a shame that some forum members act in such a childish way.
It makes it so much more difficult for those looking for good information. There is so much info on SB but also so much retoric. I'll go back to lurking on SB now. Trying to contribute here is far too frustrating.

You certainly are not claiming you are implying it to justify a position that can not be proved or disproved in fact.

????? Maybe there's a planet where this makes some sense.

Most here prefer single piece harnesses, that's just a fact, as unpalatable as it may be for you.

Try to get a grip. I've seen no one suggest that only losers or unfit divers use adjustable / comfort harnesses, only that they are largely unnecessary.

Tobin

The point is you and a group of your peers seem to dogpile on anyone that feels that one of the other options is a better choice for them.
The group that choose adjustable appear to be much less resistant to Individual choices but your group will not even allow them their opinion like it may poisoning the water.
It just isn't that cut and dry with all the different activities that make up this sport.

I have nothing more to say on this subject beyond it's a shame that some forum members act in such a childish way.
It makes it so much more difficult for those looking for good information. There is so much info on SB but also so much retoric.

Another excellant reply !

tobin you ought to read your own post... its POSSIBLE you could be wording things to favor your position when if fact it favors neither position.

Its POSSIBLE your bias because you have a business selling a one piece harness

That leaves open the possibility that your choice in harnesses was at least in part due to monetary gain.

I speculated about that possibility here:

My assumption was based on a review of your posts :D

????? Maybe there's a planet where this makes some sense.

Most here prefer single piece harnesses, that's just a fact, as unpalatable as it may be for you.

Try to get a grip. I've seen no one suggest that only losers or unfit divers use adjustable / comfort harnesses, only that they are largely unnecessary.

Tobin

Most people HERE, Most people on HERE don't even post and HERE its a small portion of divers world wide

You need to get a grip

Speaking of dog piling it seems there are more bp/w haters here than the contrary.. However, I just don't see the effort in counting the amount of negative posts.

There is a viral hate amongst some individuals whenever anything remotely DIR comes to topic. Unfortunately that seems like it was spawned by a prior generation of so called DIR divers, and has since been left in the past by the current generation.

Its POSSIBLE your bias because you have a business selling a one piece harness

Simply not true. We manufacture and sell both single piece harnesses and adjustable harnesses. Both work well.

I recommend the single piece first simply because that's what most (75-80% based on two recent polls here) eventually end up with.

It benefits our customers and us to educate them about what they actually need, vs what they think they might want. This is particularly true of new BP&W users.

I routinely recommend customers *not* buy something I don't think they need, or they really aren't ready for.

Tobin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom