BP/W Question regarding DIR/GUE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is a Halcyon Infinity considered DIR/GUE complaint since it is a single continuous piece of webbing that makes up the harness? I had a bi- level spinal fuson where the cinch ability of the rig would most likely make it easier for me to work with the rig out of water and if doffing gear when required to gain re-entry onto the boat after a dive.

Thanks for the quick response. Now I just have to find a Fundies class in Texas.

There are several “cinch” systems that work with almost any back plate so you don’t have to limit yourself to the infinity. All are significantly cheaper as well.

There is a GUE instructor in Dallas / Ft Worth.

Home

Last edited:
Is a Halcyon Infinity considered DIR/GUE complaint since it is a single continuous piece of webbing that makes up the harness? I had a bi- level spinal fuson where the cinch ability of the rig would most likely make it easier for me to work with the rig out of water and if doffing gear when required to gain re-entry onto the boat after a dive.
If a piece of standard gear doesn’t work for you due to limitations you can modify it. The main weakness of the alternatives to single piece of webbing harnesses are they are plastic and break. If you go to something much more durable, like a stainless steel cobra buckle, that would probably be fine. However redoing the harness would be a huge pain. But talk to a GUE instructor first, preferably the one you will use for your class.

There is a GUE instructor in Dallas / Ft Worth.

Home

I contacted GUE and that's the name they provided. I know Sam Meacham used to teach in the San Marcos/Austin area but I sent him a message and he is located in Mexico now.

I have the cinch system as well as my two kids and wife, My wife and I used them for Fundies part 1 and while I do like it, the adjustability can also be just so so, I find that I rarely use the adjustability part of it but have to make sure it has not moved everytime. But if you have shoulder issues or issues like you described great system. And so to answer you question yes it is allowed for GUE Fundies.

Yes, I used my Halcyon Infinity for GUE Fundamentals. It does meet the requirements because it is a single piece continuous webbing.

I'll tell you, however, that your instructor will likely suggest removing a lot of the bells and whistles from the Infinity, and give you reasons as to why it would be better without. The first things that he suggested and did with mine were to disable the cinch with tri-glides (since I didn't want to take the cinch off completely... yet) so that it would maintain it's correct adjustment for me, and removed the weight pockets, using my pockets that I already had on the tank cam bands. Next almost all the padding came off except for the back pad, since it would take less weight to sink it, so it was almost an Eclipse. A few years later, since I hadn't used the cinch in all that time and had no use for it, I finally took off the cinch, so my rig was stripped down to an Eclipse with a thin back pad, which is what I still use.

So, you can use the Infinity for Fundies, but they will likely ask you to consider what the reasons are for each extraneous piece of gear.

Good luck! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom