BP/W question: XDeep Zeos, Diverite, or X-Tek Scubapro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am returning to diving after stopping for 20 years. Still a beginner as I did OW and Advanced training, but only about thirty dives.

After reading a lot to catch up, I am interested in going towards the backplate / wing combination, and eventually doing the GUE recreational Fundamental Skills training.

Examining the choices available in the Montreal region, I located a store that sells the XDeep Zeos, Dive Rite products and also the X-Tek ScubaPro system.

Would I have any reason to chose one more then another of these products ?

EDIT: corrected the spelling of Dive Rite.

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing out the existence of the Deep Sea Supply store.

In Canada there is a shop called Dan's Dive Shop near Niagara Falls, and they sell HOG products, but for some reason I am hesitant to buy something that I cannot try out myself in a store.

Probably because I am not enough experienced to know exactly what I need.

If you plan to take the GUE route you will need a bp/wing that doesn't include all the padding, D-rings and chest strap as the ones you were considering. The standard XDeep Zeos would be OK. The X-Tek ScubaPro not only has padding and too many d-rings but also quick release buckles on the shoulder harness. You will need a simple one piece harness.

If you plan to take the GUE route you will need a bp/wing that doesn't include all the padding, D-rings and chest strap as the ones you were considering. The X-Tek ScubaPro not only has padding and too many d-rings but also quick release buckles on the shoulder harness. You will need a simple one piece harness.

This is not accurate.

The X-Tek Form Harness does have the extra D-rings, buckles, and a little bit of extra padding.

The X-Tek Pure harness system does not. The Pure harness is a single web which one can place three D-rings on it, one on each shoulder and one on the left side hip. For Fundamentals there is no need for a D-ring on the right side hip. You can place a storage pack on the plate to store a lift bag. Be sure to get the crotch strap. The Pure harness system also has the little bungee to hold the inflator hose next to the left D-ring and it comes with plenty of little bands to place on the harness for holding gear such as lights.

The X-Tek Pure harness system is very similar to Halcyon's bp/w with the same configuration.

I dive with a Halcyon bp/w. Several other local divers use the X-Tek Pure harness system. Both brands work very well. Some of the others guys do use Halcyon's cinch system to make it easier for them to don and dof.

I will 3rd deep sea supply. Simply the best. I am 3000 miles away from Tobin and it was still the best purchase I've ever made. You could email him or pm him on here: cool_hardware52 and he will help you figure out what will work for you.

I am not affiliated with DSS in anyway. I just like his gear.

Examining the choices available in the Montreal region, I located a store that sells the XDeep Zeos, Diverite products and also the X-Tek ScubaPro system.

A back plate is pretty simple and straightforward. I've had Deep Sea Supply (expensive) and Blue Reef (very inexpensive). If I needed another, I would buy another Blue Reef. I.e. whatever is inexpensive and has slots for tank straps (so it doesn't require you to use an STA for single tank diving).

I've owned various wings. Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite, OMS, HOG, Halcyon, and Oxycheq. Dive Rite made 2 of my 3 most favorite wings. HOG is my other. I have sold or am in the process of selling all my other wings except those 3 (1 for single tank and 2 different sizes for diving doubles).

I have no direct experience with xDeep.

A DM at the shop where I teach has a ScubaPro wing. One of the seams started coming apart when the wing still looked pretty new. And the shell material just did not feel as beefy as other wings I've had.

Dive Rite

Sorry I misspelled the company name. Corrected the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom