BP/W question: XDeep Zeos, Diverite, or X-Tek Scubapro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s because it comes with a single tank wing.

You can find only the backplate under the technical diving tab
http://www.xdeep.eu/stainless-steel-backplate-pr-25.html

AFAIK a backplate is a backplate and any backplate with the right holes will work for both single and twin tanks.

/Victor

Does it have the right holes ? Can it fit a bigger wing ?

I wouldn't know these things.

Thank you for pointing out the existence of the Deep Sea Supply store.

In Canada there is a shop called Dan's Dive Shop near Niagara Falls, and they sell HOG products, but for some reason I am hesitant to buy something that I cannot try out myself in a store.

Probably because I am not enough experienced to know exactly what I need.
If what you are looking for is a straight up plate, wing, and Hogtarthian harness, the HOG products will do what you need. 2 HOG rigs in this house, ~ 200 dives apiece. Dan's is also a quite good shop to deal with.

I recently purchased my first bp/w. xDeep makes very nice looking BCDs. I'm sure they dive quite well. I was initially looking at Halcyon & xDeep. What moved me away from the xDeep Zeos was not wanting to dive an STA & adding QR cam bands. I figured why purchase items I don't intend to use. Rather than purchase a system, I decided to look for all the parts and put it together myself.

I decided to look for wings in the 20-25# range and a SS bp. I found a wing for about $170 (Deep6 20# which is still on sale). I found an OMS SS bp for $77. I got the rest of the harness pieces from DGX.

There are many very happy DSS customers out there. The DGX package for $299 is another good option. For the most part, unless you have very specific needs or preferences, you are unlikely to go wrong with anything that has been suggested.

DSS makes good quality wings, but I prefer donuts and the DSS donut wings do not have a zipper to let you access the inner bladder, in case you need to do a field repair. Every other wing I have experienced does have a zipper and I have had to do a field repair of a pinch flat before, so I would only look at wings that allowed that. With pretty much every other wing having a zipper, there is just no good reason (to ME) to buy a wing that doesn't have that.

Stuart,

Once again you beat the drum against DSS.

How predictable.

Of course once again you intentionally and knowingly fail to include the fact that the DSS gear you purchased used was 10-12 years old and does not reflect our current production.

You are of course well aware that our current wings use a 30 mil bladder, and not the 12 mil bladder you managed to damage via rough handling.

Why do you continue to provide intentionally incomplete and intentionally inaccurate information about DSS?

Tobin

Does it have the right holes ? Can it fit a bigger wing ?

I wouldn't know these things.

Regarding the xDeep one, it will work for both singles and twins since it is the ona that comes with both the Zeos single tank setup and the hydros twin tank setup.
http://www.xdeep.eu/double-tank-bc-system-tec-wing-harness-hydros-pr-8.html

From what I know, 99% of backplates will work with larger wings, the other 1% covering for the ones that I don’t know about.

Traditionally, backplates were only for technical divers. It is only in the later years that it has become more popular with recreational diving. It is however still mainly technical divers who use bp/w, therefore it would seem illogical for manufacturers to design a plate that doesn’t work with larger wings for the technical divers.

/Victor

Regarding the xDeep one, it will work for both singles and twins since it is the ona that comes with both the Zeos single tank setup and the hydros twin tank setup.
http://www.xdeep.eu/double-tank-bc-system-tec-wing-harness-hydros-pr-8.html

From what I know, 99% of backplates will work with larger wings, the other 1% covering for the ones that I don’t know about.

Traditionally, backplates were only for technical divers. It is only in the later years that it has become more popular with recreational diving. It is however still mainly technical divers who use bp/w, therefore it would seem illogical for manufacturers to design a plate that doesn’t work with larger wings for the technical divers.

/Victor

Hi Victor, Thanks for that- nobody seemed to know if the NX backplate was the same for both the zen as well as project. Also do you know if the NX bp has slots that allow other wings to connect to it. I'm wondering because of the unique shape.

thanks
p.

Stuart,

Once again you beat the drum against DSS.

How predictable.

Of course once again you intentionally and knowingly fail to include the fact that the DSS gear you purchased used was 10-12 years old and does not reflect our current production.

You are of course well aware that our current wings use a 30 mil bladder, and not the 12 mil bladder you managed to damage via rough handling.

Why do you continue to provide intentionally incomplete and intentionally inaccurate information about DSS?

Tobin

Everything I said there was 100% accurate, to the best of my knowledge. Please do correct me on anything that was not.

Regarding my experience with pinch flats, I did not say what brand of wing it was that I had a pinch flat on. Thus, the age, bladder thickness, and design changes by the manufacturer were irrelevant. If I had a brand new wing with a 100 mil bladder, I would still want to have a zipper that let me access the bladder. As I said, there are lots of good wings on the market and almost all have a zipper, so there's really no reason (to me, anyway) to buy a wing without a zipper.

Having no zipper seems to be a benefit for the manufacturer, not the user.

Tobin

You posted this:

Pinch flats are easily 95+% of all failures, with rest being associated with hoses or fittings.

Tobin

I am just trying to avoid missing a dive because I can't repair my own wing. I did repair my own wing (which was damaged due to my own accidental rough handling) once before and it was pretty quick and easy to do - because it had a zipper letting me access the bladder. Why would I want to give up that capability if I don't have to?

It seems to me that it is the people who recommend a DSS Torus wing and don't mention that those wings are the only (? I think?) wings on the market that do not have a zipper that are posting incomplete information. To someone like the OP who is trying to learn about wings in the process of shopping for one, I think it is a relevant detail to note and leave to the individual to decide how important it is to them.

There were several posts before mine that recommended DSS wings. ALL those posts gave incomplete information in that they did not mention that DSS Torus wings are unique in not having a zipper. Will you be calling out each of those posters for posting incomplete information about your products?

Again, if I posted anything that was inaccurate, please do correct me.

Maybe it would be helpful to the OP if you could explain why it would be beneficial to HIM to NOT have a zipper on his wing? I mean, it's clearly a benefit to you, the manufacturer, to not install a zipper. But, why is it better for the actual customer if he cannot access the bladder inside his wing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom