BP/W Rigging Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving a Halcyon Eclipse rig for about 10 dives now. I really enjoy it, it's been a great upgrade from my jacket BC.

However, there's one thing that bugs me, and I think it might be a user error. My issue is this: I have my SPG clipped off to the d-ring on my left hip, in front of my weight pocket. All is well and good until I unclip my gauge for whatever reason. After that, it's near impossible to get the thing clipped off again. The d-ring falls down towards the harness, and with the weight pocket in the way it's just a mess to hold the thing up and clip it off again.

So my question is this: Is there a way that I can rig up that d-ring to stand up on its own? I bought the rig used so I'm not sure if maybe there was a bit of hardware that maybe I didn't get. Or do I just have to move the d-ring forward a little bit, put on my big boy pants and learn to live with it?

Any feedback is appreciated!

I clip the spg on my left chest D-ring.
The only time that I have to unclip it is after the dive when I have to separate the reg from the bc.

Don's article might help. You could also make sure you have enough room between the d-ring and the weight pocket. Or ditch the weight pocket and go to a weight belt. Or switch to a fixed d-ring.
How to clip off an SPG

Would it help to replace it with a rigid D ring? There are several different types available.

+1

Or use a spring snap that doesn't require your thumb to open. That way you can prop up the D ring w. your thumb while you snap the spg on. I think a spring snap would help even w. the rigid D ring.

I had the same problem with the Halcyon Cinch System --just remove and replace the Hip D-ring attachment unit with a simple conventional standard D-ring fixed in place with a locking triglide.

However, the fixed D-ring will now limit the "loosening slack" of the left side of the shoulder harness. . . (not really a big deal, just loosen up the right side more to facilitate getting in).

Try moving the D-ring and the weight pocket around. Sometimes my D-ring will flip when I check my spg and I use my ring and pinky to prop up the d ring when I clip off the SPG again. I would try moving the D-ring and weight pocket first and if you can't get it, then try a fixed ring. NEVER use a spring clip as they can catch themselves on line and other entanglement hazards and be impossible to remove.

Thanks for the input. I have a standard d-ring with triglide right now, I'll try moving it forward, away from the weight pocket, clip it off the right way (thanks for the article Peter_C) and see if that helps. Failing that, fixed ring here I come.

What size bolt snap are you using? If using thick gloves you do need a larger bolt snap to make it easier. I use dry gloves myself, so larger bolt snaps make it easy with a little practice.

3.75" snaps. I am using 5mm gloves, which make anything difficult, but I've had no issues with the snaps on my light or primary reg, which are the same size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom