Bp+w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve.C

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is worth getting a BP+W setup for just recreational diving. The most technical thing i might do is dive for lobstah. I live in RI

Yes!!!
You're going to get one million-kazillion responses on this one.
Go to any of existing threads on the subject in this forum and you'll find an endless amount of discussion on the subject.
Just go to the "Search this Forum" bar, type in "BP/W" and click "GO" and you're on your way to knowledge.

You sure it's only gonna be "one million-kazillion?" I would have thought at least 3 million-kazillion. lol

Yup, love my BP/W and do a lot of rec diving with it. Although there are a lot of nice back inflate BC's out there.

Brian

The Kracken:
Yes!!!
You're going to get one million-kazillion responses on this one.
Go to any of existing threads on the subject in this forum and you'll find an endless amount of discussion on the subject.
Just go to the "Search this Forum" bar, type in "BP/W" and click "GO" and you're on your way to knowledge.

Snowbear:
I agree with these guys.
All my rec dives are in a BP/W setup. That reminds me - time to ebay the Black Diamond.....

I'm a rec weenie. I dive a BP/W. Love it. Don't expect the epiphany of perfect trim, superb buoyancy control and mad skills by simply changing your BC. It doesn't work like that.

I dove the SeaQuest Balance, then went to the fluffy Black Diamond when I started diving dry, believing I needed a zillion pounds of lift for all the weight I'd doubtless be adding for the DS. It was more BS and yet another bad, ill informed SCUBA decision on my part.

I too eBayed my Wack Diamond.

The BP/W changes things. Not over night, not instantly. If you flail about with your current rig, you'll be flailing about wif your BP/W. But you will get it dialed in. It was a good move for me.

K

Get a BP/W - you'll glide through the water so easily, the lobstah won't have a chance to get away.

mgri:
Make it stop! Your avatar is freaking me out man.... :11:

Sort of an angry Tylenol - in Negative.

It is creepy.

K

If you do decide to get into a BP&W, try looking into Jetharness.com.

They make a great little rig for diving single tanks, which I assume you're doing. I looked all over this board for info on BP&W and it was dauting at times. These folks are much more experiences than I and there were lotsa great suggestions to wade through. I saw this company mentioned in one of the threads and after further research, decided to get one.

The rig they make, is a flat BP made for SINGLE TANKS ONLY, with nice padded shoulders, plenty of D-rings, and is Custom fit for your size. Some will argue that you limit yourself with such a plate because you can't ever dive with doubles. They're right, but just be honest with yourself, and if you don't ever plan to dive with doubles, than this plate will work. They also argue that the shape is uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure my pain threshold is lower than most, and I still found this plate comfortable, even with just a 3mm on. The advantage to the plate? The shape of the plate will allow the tank to be closer to your body, and that can aide in stability. The difference is not big, maybe 1-2 inches, but still something to consider. Some will also argue that, the shape of the plate is less stable than traditional plates that use stabalizers when using a single tank. Maybe, but with the two tank bands that come with it, when you tighten them up, I dare anyone to try to make the tank move.

The other arguments are that, the padding is just gimmicky, and that a well fitted harness with simple webbing is all anyone will need. Well, alright, but sometimes, you're tired of the cloth seats, and just want the leather. Sure you don't need it, but I couldn't find a downside to having them. It didn't cost more, it doesn't create more drag, it doesn't add bulk, so why the hell not? It's also been said that this company doesn't have any history with wings. So, just think of it as a chance to be part of history.

The fact that they sew the harness custom for you is what drew me to the company. But even with the custom fit, there are adjustments that can be made to allow for differences in exposure suit protection. The rig is bullet proof, and Jeff, the owner I think, is cool to work with. He added a lot of weird custom stuff for me, like a knife mount, and a retractor loop, and best of all, he had the rig to me in less than a week. All of this, for under $400! That was way cheaper than any other rig I priced.

I've never really endorsed anything to anyone before, but as you can see, I was really really impressed with this product, and the company. The other companies have their supporters, the old Chevy/Ford argument, and rightfully so, most products are pretty well made. But just think of these guys as Toyota. A reliable, great deal. But unlike Toyota, these guys are AMERICAN MADE! WOO HOO!

Good luck on your search!

Omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom