BP/Wing Advice For New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerry1818

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to diving and new to the board, so I hope this is in the right place.

My son and I did our check out dives in August and went diving together for the first time since this past Friday. From the first time in the pool I thought there had to be a better way (KISS). Maybe because I'm a big guy they gave me the biggest BCD they had, but I felt like I wanted to be more solidly attached to my equipment. A quick google search found this place and after extensive reading i was convinced.

I got a good deal on two BC's. One is a Transpac with a Rec Wing and the other is a Dive Rite ABS backplate with the deluxe harness and a Super Wing.

On Friday I wore the Transpac and my son the DR BP. He loved it, even with the giant Super Wing. He said it was way more comfortable then a vest BCD and he is completely sold on the BP/W idea (and he was a little doubtful at first).

I was not as pleased with the Transpac. It seemed to have the same problems as a vest. Loose fitting, riding up, etc. It doesn't have a crotch strap - would that help?

I'm thinking of selling the Transpac (I'm already ebaying the Super Wing) and putting the Rec Wing on the ABS BP. Would that be a better set up?

Or am I giving up too soon on the Transpac? Any tips from Transpac users?

Thanks

Unless you are diving doubles, neither wing is ideal.

The transpac comes in different sizes. You might have the wrong size.

Thanks for the reply.

I know the Super Wing is way too big, we just wanted to check it out before selling it. In fact, it's already on Ebay and closes today. It's listed as "Dive Rite Super Wing Dual Bladder DIR Scuba Diving BCD" in case anyone's interested (I don't know if linking is allowed).

Anyway, fi you think the RecWing is too big also, do you have a suggestion for a good single wing? How about the venture or travel wings?

I'm 6'2" and 265lbs. The Transpac is an XL. It was riding so high the tank valve was against the back of my head and the shoulder straps were rubbing my neck. Later in the day I tried loosening the shoulder straps and lowering and tightening the waist belt. That helped a litlle, but it still wasn't right.

The Recwing is useable although it makes a better doubles wing.
You aren't limited to diverite products there are many great wings on the market.
My favorite singles wing is the Oxycheq 30#.

+1 .

For guy your size I would go as far to suggest a Deep Sea Supply Large Stainless Steel plate, hogarthian harness, and an LCD30 wing for any single tank diving you may be doing. I dive the same set up with a medium plate but you are a bit taller and have me by about 95lbs. The 30 is enough lift and the plate being longer will allow you to place the straps in a better position for your build. Oh and yeah- rock friggin solid setup with no single tank adapter needed.

The Recwing is useable although it makes a better doubles wing.
You aren't limited to diverite products there are many great wings on the market.
My favorite singles wing is the Oxycheq 30#.

I was ckecking out the Oxycheq stuff and liked it. I'm not set on Dive Rite at all. I just worked out that way.

For guy your size I would go as far to suggest a Deep Sea Supply Large Stainless Steel plate, hogarthian harness, and an LCD30 wing for any single tank diving you may be doing. I dive the same set up with a medium plate but you are a bit taller and have me by about 95lbs. The 30 is enough lift and the plate being longer will allow you to place the straps in a better position for your build. Oh and yeah- rock friggin solid setup with no single tank adapter needed.

The Dive Rite plates only seem to come in one size. Do you (or anyone) know what size the DR plate is equivalent to in a DSS plate?

I ask because I have short legs and a long torso for my size, so it makes sense that I might need a longer plate.

If you want to know what size DSS plate and/or wing, simply call them and ask Tobin.

He wants you to have what will work for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom