bp/wing question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbediving:
should i decide to go "pre-fab" how much webbing do i need?

I get 12 feet for my harnesses (I've built 3 of them recently) ... this gives you some "wiggle" room on both sides as you assemble the kit. And it's better to have to cut a little bit off than to have to go back and purchase a longer piece ... or even to have to slide all the keepers and reposition everything once you get down to the final fitting.

Webbing's only about $1.50 per foot.

Don't forget the soldering iron for sealing the ends once you cut it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Don't forget the soldering iron for sealing the ends once you cut it.

Using a soldering iron on the webbing is a quick way to kill an iron. A bic lighter works wonders for melting nylon webbing/line.

mer:
Using a soldering iron on the webbing is a quick way to kill an iron. A bic lighter works wonders for melting nylon webbing/line.
How long have you been diving mer? I can't believe that you don't have a dedicated "webbing iron" yet! :rolleyes:

Scubaroo:
How long have you been diving mer? I can't believe that you don't have a dedicated "webbing iron" yet! :rolleyes:
I actually don't own soldering iron. I always borrowed one at work for actual soldering work, plus I like my lighter. Much easier to make repairs in the field... no electricity required.

mer:
Using a soldering iron on the webbing is a quick way to kill an iron.

How so? I use mine for that purpose frequently, and it's far from dead. I have a $13 iron that uses interchangeable tips ... and one tip is dedicated for webbing. I have other tips that are used for burning wood or even for (believe it or not) soldering.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom