BP Wing VS backinflation BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a seaquest black diamond, used it twice, then got introduced to the transpac with a rec wing by dive rite. Sold the black diamond.

Transpac is softer than a traditional back plate but has all the freedom, floatation, buoyancy characteristics as a harness. I dove for a week in the keys this summer with no exposure suit, no skins, nothing but me underneath (and some board shorts). No abrastion, no rash, nothing.

The transpac is very customizable and gives stellar feedom of movement. Also, there is a huge variety of wings, sizes, and accesories. They are also very compact which is important to me as I like to travel. The weight system can be moved about and you can purchase trim weights to maximize trim (which I think is often overlooked). There is no arbatration as to where the weight pockets are placed. My 10 year old daughter just got one because I can not imagine diving any thing other than some for of BP/W. (I am a recreational diver, no tech training or dives, just want comfort when diving)

Check out the dive rite site.

PM with questions.

OK we are talking single tank diving here. Those of you who have dived both, how do you compare the feel of BP / Wing set up to a backinflation vest? While is a better choice?

I design, build and sell BP&W's so I may be a bit biased :wink:

A BP&W and Back inflate BC share some features, namely the air cell or bladder is exclusively behind the diver, not a wrap around style typical to many vest type BC's

Both will reduce the unwelcome "hug" or squeeze that a vest type BC can induce when inflated to near full capacity.

Either style can be set up to allow a diver to achieve horizontal trim, and either can be set up and used so that comfort at the surface is not compromised.

I prefer a BP&W for the following reasons:

1. It's modular. The plate, harness, and wing are individual components, and can be selected for your application. In other words you can pick a plate size / material type that fits your needs, and a wing capacity that's appropriate and the harness you want.

This also allows you to change to a different wing if your needs change, and retain the same backplate and harness. For example cold water vs tropical, or singles vs doubles.

This is much less easily achieved with most back inflate style BC's

2. Ballast. A typical SS backplate and harness is about 6 lbs negative. This ballast is up over your buoyant lungs, not around your waist. This can be a huge benefit for divers in colder water. There are a variety of ways to add even more ballast to your plate if your application requires it.

3. Stability. Having the mass of the plate and tank contacting your back over a wide area helps to make the tank "a part of you"

4. No inherent buoyancy. Without any compressible foam pads, cumberbunds, lumbar pads etc. a BP&W will not be inherently buoyant. That means you won't need 2-4 lbs lead just to sink your BC.

5. Ease of repair. Need to replace or change your harness? With a BP&W that can be a $12-15 problem.

I'd be happy to make a recommendation on a rig for your application.

I need to know:

What tanks you are currently using.

How tall you are.

What the most buoyant exposure suit you plan to use is.

How much lead you current carry.

Tobin

...it becomes quite tempting to buy another plate and harness -- And there's another benefit of the setup. You can buy the plate and put together a harness, and that's pretty cheap. The wing's the expensive part, and you can use the SAME wing with both!
I second that. That's what I did and do.

Like the other folks have said, I started with a back inflate Mares, and now use it only for pool work. The BP/W setup does all of what they say above - fits better, streamlined, more stable (espcialy with a steel tank), 6 # less weight needed some where else.

Started with a Zeagle Ranger. Moved to a BP/W 3 years ago. Never looked back. Love the Ranger, but there is simply too much material, and it is too positive. I also dropped weight, beyond the 6lb added with the SS BP, when I switched. Kraken makes a good point - inflation behind you + weights (intergrated) in front of you = face in the water at the surface. My 25 y.o. son loves a BP/W, my then 18 y.o. daughter didn't at first (she is very slender and felt the BP was uncomfortable). Last time we dove together, she used a BP and loved it, crotch strap and all.

Nemrod wrote
If your diving warm water with thin exposure suit or none YOU DO NOT NEED THE CROTCH STRAP with a BP/wing.

What BS -- Of course you NEED the crotch strap -- What else do you attach your scoot to?

Nemrod wrote

What BS -- Of course you NEED the crotch strap -- What else do you attach your scoot to?

Peter, your totally under the influence, don't you recall that a broom handle and rope will suffice, I am dissappointed in you :rofl3:.

But you have a point, with the hot wound motor in the ol'Tekna, when you pull the go trigger you better be hanging on tight. One of two things is going to happen, your about to h--l a-- out of there or your about to experience a hydrogen ignition within a contained vessel. Both are exciting:D.

DSCF0286.jpg

The lady here does not seem to have a BP or wing at all.

80364995_o.jpg

N

I started OW with a vest style BC that was too large for me, So at the surface i was looking through the arm holes. When i went shopping for my own gear the BP/wing just made sense and after i tried it, i bought it. Now i would'nt dive any other way

OK we are talking single tank diving here. Those of you who have dived both, how do you compare the feel of BP / Wing set up to a backinflation vest? While is a better choice?

I have a Jet Harness kit with 30 lb lift wing. I use less lead, less air and less effort for similar dives than any of the jacket BC's that I've owned, borrowed or rented. I have the 2" web harness,(Hog rig), and I don't use the crotch strap. Don't need it. I added Diverite pockets and I use a regular weight belt with old-school lead weights. In salt water, 3 mm wet suit and steel tank diving on the SG I needed 4 lb of weight on the belt. With a AL80 I use 7 or 8 lbs of lead. YMMV

DC

I'd be happy to make a recommendation on a rig for your application.

I need to know:

What tanks you are currently using.

How tall you are.

What the most buoyant exposure suit you plan to use is.

How much lead you current carry.

Tobin

A very helpful post my friend! I dont own tanks of my own and usually rent them from the different dive shops.

I am 5.10

I think the most buoyant exposure suit would be a 5/4 mm BARE wetsuit that I intend to buy for some of the colder dives. This is till I get myself a dry suit.

Weights i use are 12 - 14 lbs.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom