BPW BCD Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ystrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

I asked about gear a month ago, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm probably going to purchase a reg and some other gear at my dive shop Saturday during their Valentine's day sale. Either a Scubapro Mk11 or a Atomic Z2, a Large Tall wetsuit (if they have any that fit and are under $300), and a basic dive computer watch or a used one off this website if I can find any deals. I just need no-deco limits, nitrox mode, and depth. Nothing fancy.

But I want your help with the BCD. I either need a Zeagle custom fit BCD, or a BPW. I'm 6'5" and 200 pounds, so NO off the shelf BCDs fit me. I'm essentially a Medium waist and XL height. I guess I'm leaning towards the BPW for a few reasons. I can find used, I can post on this forum without being talked down to (just kidding, kind of :wink:), and when the bladder wears out, I can replace instead of replacing the entire thing.

But I do have some questions.

1. Is one size fit all? I can't seem to find sizes for this type of BCD. Do you just configure the harness to fit your body type?
2. Is the metal back-plate uncomfortable? It looks horribly uncomfortable.... But everyone swears by them, so they can't be that bad...
3. Do I just need a harness, backplate, and bladder? Is there tons of little screws or other parts I need to worry about?
4. Would you trust buying a $300 setup from online? Should I look new? What would I expect to pay if I buy new? And any suggestions?
5. Can you help me understand the lift capacity? You know my weight. But I generally wear a 7mm wetsuit. How much lift capacity should I be looking for? There's a nice 23# bladder I see on the classifieds. Would that be enough lift?

Lastly, do any of you have any BPWs for sale? Direct message me so we don't clog up the post. Also, I'm interested in basic dive computers.

Thanks for the info everyone! I look forward to getting out there with my own stuff!

The Freedom Contour Backplate made by @Eric Sedletzky is the most comfortable in my opinion, you could sleep on it. Please do a Scubaboard search to find out all about configuring it, as many people are in the process of getting theirs set up for a range of diving. This is not unlimited production, but made to order.
I bought a 34lb wing for 7mm wetsuit/drysuit and will buy a 18lb wing for tropics with same backplate.

support local business, contact @cool_hardware52 at Deep Sea Supply and get a long pattern backplate. At that height the standard length backplates will not work well for you and you need to get a long backplate.

1. no, the backplates come in different lengths and the "standard" is good for about 5'8" to 6'2" but anything taller than that you need a long plate. I know this from experience unfortunately
2. no they are not, in a wetsuit you can't feel them at all
3. yes, no small bits. If you get the "set" from Deep Sea Supply or any other manufacturer, it comes out fine
4. yes, but you shouldn't because of your height. $500 is what a DSS rig will cost you
5. 23lbs is probably not enough for a 7mm suit, I'd go for 30 ish pounds

There are probably some on the classifieds, but the long plates don't come up very often

your best bet for a BPW with excellent fit is in your back yard, Call Deep Sea Supply, Tobin will ask you questions and get a package perfect for you. Especially considering your Height. He will answer all those questions.

now here are my answers....

1. No, one size fits most......you are just outside of most.
2. They are very comfortable and stable, once properly fitted and adjusted.
3. Harness, plate, wing and method of attaching a tank (bands or single tank adapter). Lots of things you can add later if you wish.
4. DSS has the best equipment at very good prices.
5. Tobin will confirm lift requirements.....I'm guessing around 30#. These parts take ALOT of use to wear out but yes, just replace a piece instead of the entire BCD.

What you'll pay for used Halcyon (or others) you can get new from DSS. You will no doubt see lots of recommendations coming for DSS........

Looks like $480 for a new setup for DSS? Can anyone confirm?

I'd do that rather than go used..... And that price blows the Zeagle Stilleto price out of the water.

I called DSS with no answer. I'll shoot an email.

Side note. I'm a basic diver. My day of diving is taking my boat out at 7 AM, diving the Ruby E or Yukon (70-100 feet), drink some coffee and relax, then cruise over to the kelp beds in La Jolla and do a 40-50 foot dive to swim wish fish a couple hours later.

What's the difference between using a basic rental type dive computer that I can get for $200 new (or a nicer model used for $200) that tells me my no deco limit, safety stop timer, etc, versus a $600 dive computer.

I am buying tall of my gear at once, so would like to save where possible. I just don't want to get any terrible stuff that will fail and I'll die (exaggerating, but you know what I mean).

Thanks

@ystrout that price sounds right. Tobin is incredibly busy right now, so email is probably the best shot to schedule a time to talk.

on the computer bit. A lot of it depends on what features you want and what you are willing to spend and why. The Shearwater Perdix is by far the nicest computer on the market in terms of usability, features, quality, support, etc. It comes at a price though and it isn't cheap. The cheaper computers won't upload logs to your cellphone, they won't have nice color screens, usually have pretty clunky user interfaces, limited control of your decompression algorithm, etc. If this is a sport you know you will stay with, then finding a used Petrel or Perdix in the classifieds here is probably worth it. Petrels usually go for $400-$500. Below that, the computers pretty much all have casio watch style screens, clunky user interfaces, and require very expensive cables to be able to download dive logs.
That one is truly up to you unfortunately. They'll all keep you pretty safe, it's just how much you value the user interface, and the ability to truly be in control of your conservatism

I got a DSS rig when we went on a diet and lost enough weight to make our old BCD way too loose. Call Deep Sea Supply. Their kit had everything.

I got a SS backplate, a 34 wing(and the rest) cause we dive locally in 7mm. We use the same rig in the tropics with 3mm.

It is very comfortable in the water and no worse on land.

@ystrout that price sounds right. Tobin is incredibly busy right now, so email is probably the best shot to schedule a time to talk.

on the computer bit. A lot of it depends on what features you want and what you are willing to spend and why. The Shearwater Perdix is by far the nicest computer on the market in terms of usability, features, quality, support, etc. It comes at a price though and it isn't cheap. The cheaper computers won't upload logs to your cellphone, they won't have nice color screens, usually have pretty clunky user interfaces, limited control of your decompression algorithm, etc. If this is a sport you know you will stay with, then finding a used Petrel or Perdix in the classifieds here is probably worth it. Petrels usually go for $400-$500. Below that, the computers pretty much all have casio watch style screens, clunky user interfaces, and require very expensive cables to be able to download dive logs.
That one is truly up to you unfortunately. They'll all keep you pretty safe, it's just how much you value the user interface, and the ability to truly be in control of your conservatism
Got it. Thanks.

Yaa I would like a nice one and I LOVE diving. But it's a cash now thing and I can't really afford the more expensive ones at the moment. Buying all this up front isn't cheap, but I'm doing it. And I need to get a new snowboard this summer for next season. And on top of all this, I'm trying to buy a house in summer.... Lol.

I'm firm set on getting a NEW, middle of the market regulator, BCD that fits very well, wetsuit under $300, and computer that just works and keeps me safe. They are $20 per day to rent, so renting 10 times will be more expensive than just buying a basic rental type computer. And I'll dive that much in a month or two. So I'll probably just go with a very basic model.

Either a Scubapro Mk11 or a Atomic Z2

Atomic Z2 (sealed version if they have it) will be a better choice.

basic dive computer watch or a used one off this website if I can find any deals. I just need no-deco limits, nitrox mode, and depth. Nothing fancy

What brands does your local dive center sell?

Back
Top Bottom