Bragging Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know... while I might point out a safety issue to a diver. I would be discrete and NOT do it in front of a crowd. Under no circumstances would I be confrontational in a dive setting. Humor has it's place (check out some of my posts in the Diver's parodies continued), but sarcasm towards another diver usually only makes them want to "prove you wrong". Instead of altering poor behavior we actually reinforce it. While we may believe most emphatically that others are doing it wrong, we need to take measure of how our message comes across. To paraphrase a biblical passage... "Let whoever dives perfectly, cast the first spear." I guess my point is... you don't have to be mean to make a difference (or a point).

Hey, you've heard it all before.. the one who talks the loudest....is probably pissing in his pants, oh, I mean wetsuit. I've experienced divers like that and see them make blunders worth laughing at. Firstly, no one would be stupid enough to go 300ft unless to raise the Kursk or something. Imagine there's nothing to see, it's freekin cold, dark and the deco stops would probably bore you to the other "chamber". Second, isn't it silly to build expectations of yourself when you can't maintain it?

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Its a dual tube snorkel. One tube for incoming air, one tube for exhaled air. It has a check valve in it to keep the exhaled air from going in the wrong tube. I know, because I designed it for him. :)

Sounds like the Hookah setup I made for my Buddy Inspiration CCR. I have taken that hookah setup on a 10,00 foot penetration over 250 feet deep. It works great. I have only ever taken 1 CNS hit in the 3 times I have used it.

I was recently a single diver on a boat in Hawaii -- and I found myself chatting with the one other single diver, a man about my age.

This guy of course had the best equipment, including camera, and refused to wear a wetsuit. He also had some pretty serious sunburn. Even though the boat's standard operating procedures included donning on board and then giant striding.... he insisted on tossing his gear in and donning in the water.

He seemed to be somewhat patronizing --- (i am a bit of an unconventional diver -- a 40 year old very plus size woman who often travels alone) -- He spoke about his extensive diving experience, and his proficiency at underwater photography. He complained about not being able to buy a digital camera anywhere on the entire island of Maui ---

The boat operator gave him his own dive master to help him get the photos he wanted. I buddied up with the boat owner and 3 other people. At one point, Mr. Special even pushed me out of the way to get a photo -- (I don't know if he realized that his strobe was above the ledge he was trying to shoot under.)

But, my satisfaction came when I realized that for both dives, I was in the water before Mr. Special, and when I returned, he was on board -- and all dry -- Gee whizzzz all of Mr. Special's extra super gadgetry must have cost him some of that precious air -- anyway, my satisfaction was knowing that I had great dives -- perhaps even better than Mr. Special.

When I hear people bragging about how deep they went, and how long they stayed, and how they come up with one breath of air and yadda yadda... I just smile at them, all the while silently thanking them for letting me know without learning the hard way NOT to dive with them!

But, I do like some of the other ideas. Like all of the technical questions.

A fast reponse like.....Who should we send your gear to? or We have a saying around here....If you can't save the diver....Salvage the equiptment. should make someone like that think a little.
The most bragging that I have seen on a boat is Pricing of gear. It seams that my new dive friends and I take great pride in getting the best deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom