Brass is bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Yeah, I've got cuts on my left glove, too from my SS snap. I also have a bit of a callous on my right thumb from playing with the bolt snap on my keychain...also SS.

However, brass is much worse and it smells.

To paraphrase Samuel Johnson: "No, sir. You smell. It stinks..."

I've used both brass and stainless -- both will work -- we have some brass stage bottle clips in place for more than 10 years with many hundreds of dives on them without any issue -- we wash them after use and on occasion squirt some WD 40 in them --

as to the cuts you guys are getting --if you use a slightly larger clip you will have a larger surface area to push down on but it makes no difference (my experience) on either the brass or the stainless ...

It's important to note that not all stainless clips are stainless, some are just nickel plated -- also make sure the springs are stainless ---

regards

fishoutawater:
Been thirty for me. Was the only whiteboy in a Mexican disco band, 75-76, San Antonio and surrounding area. KC and the Sunshine Band kinda stuff. Barely paid for the gas. Lotsa chicks, and free beer tho :D
Me, too. Played pro for years... the road, some studio work... went to Dick Grove School of Music... met my wife in a disco bar... married in Guam working a hotel... gave it up for the family for 15 years... now I make a living in music and video production and play all the time.

Soggy:
However, brass is much worse and it smells.
Sure. I used to tell me Dad that all the time.

"Really, Dad. That smell on my hands is from the horn."

Too bad mine was silver...

m7scuba:
Slightly off topic, but what about trigger snaps? I have one (brass) on my SPG that is fairly easy to use but it does tend to stick a little.

If you mean the infamous "suicide snaps", the answer is no. Too great of a chance to clip onto something you didn't intend to clip on to.

Cold_Under_Here:
How can brass cut you? The DIR II video states to use SS clips opposed to brass, as the brass will cut you.....?huh?

I've never had this problem in drygloves. Must be a warm water problem. Either way I like SS snaps better because the gates open easier. Brass clips tend to be stiffer.

R..

I see no reason that trigger snaps would be non-DIR other than they're just not standard or something. Might be a little harder to hook but I dunno.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom