Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To address the flag issue. It's shouldn't "just" be a flag. It actually represent the Australian citizens that are on board that vessel. The crew is Australian. I can almost smell international incident. Besides Minke whales the Japanese also plan to take 50 endangered fin whales and 50 endangered humpbacks. "Research" in the name of tradition in a place that traditional and culture never took them before. They decimate their own populations and then they start trolling around the world looking to rape and pillage wherever they want It's BS. Capt. Paul Watson guarantees that he will reduce their take again by at least 50%. I think they will and It's obvious they learned a few lessons last year. It's going to get very interesting.

Besides Minke whales the Japanese also plan to take 50 endangered fin whales and 50 endangered humpbacks.

Can you provide a source where the japanese have said that they intend to take 50 humpbacks during the 2010 season? (not Sea Shepherd)

If they take zero Sea Shepherd will claim they saved 50 humpback whales.

They have not formally abandoned plans to take humpbacks off the table. It's out there Dennis - all you have to do is look.

They have not formally abandoned plans to take humpbacks off the table. It's out there Dennis - all you have to do is look.

I've looked at a lot of it. Here's one where they look at the data and try to determine if Sea Shepherds presence makes a difference.

Whale Quotas and Sea Shepherd « Southern Fried Science

Which begs the question: If direct action is ineffective in achieving it’s goals, and may in fact promote the continuation of the very systems they’re trying to dismantle, why should we continue to support them? And, more importantly, why shouldn’t we make the public aware that these media savvy organizations aren’t getting the job done? Results matter. Which begs the question: If direct action is ineffective in achieving it’s goals, and may in fact promote the continuation of the very systems they’re trying to dismantle, why should we continue to support them? And, more importantly, why shouldn’t we make the public aware that these media savvy organizations aren’t getting the job done? Results matter.

It is old.....(what I posted above).....but so is everything else it seems. Is it really out there? Help us out and post what you know. Thanks.

To address the flag issue. It's shouldn't "just" be a flag. It actually represent the Australian citizens that are on board that vessel. The crew is Australian. I can almost smell international incident. Besides Minke whales the Japanese also plan to take 50 endangered fin whales and 50 endangered humpbacks. "Research" in the name of tradition in a place that traditional and culture never took them before. They decimate their own populations and then they start trolling around the world looking to rape and pillage wherever they want It's BS. Capt. Paul Watson guarantees that he will reduce their take again by at least 50%. I think they will and It's obvious they learned a few lessons last year. It's going to get very interesting.

Australia tends not to care what other nations do to its citizens: the Bali 9, Hicks, Corby, past crew of Sea Shepherd... So big deal.

The Japanese rape whales as well as kill them too?

And you are completely wrong about historical whaling in Japan, it's Sea Shepherd propaganda that most believe. Japan has whaled for centuries.

Here is the page that states what Japan has a permit for. It's really simple Steve -let me spell it out for you. While they have not made a statement that they will kill humpbacks, they have not made a statement that they will not, so I guess it remains to be seen. They have a permit.

and no Sas, they don't rape whales - just ecosystems.

http://www.iwcoffice.org/conservation/permits.htm

So does every single country in the entire world though.

And also do you stand corrected on the history of whaling in Japan? They have whaled since at least the 12th century and there are records showing they ate whale meet far earlier than that.

Here is the page that states what Japan has a permit for. It's really simple Steve -let me spell it out for you. While they have not made a statement that they will kill humpbacks, they have not made a statement that they will not, so I guess it remains to be seen. They have a permit.

http://www.iwcoffice.org/conservation/permits.htm

I seem to recall Japan issuing certificates / permits to themselves somehow. Is that the case here? If an independent party approved a permit for Japan then I fault that party and say Japan is theoretically within it's rights to act on the permit. This assumes the permit is "legal" of corse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom