Breathing rate, air integrated computers and DCI correlation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are reading too much into the above. Even if it is correct, it refers to "hard exercise at depth" and "diving under strenuous conditions." These are circumstances much like diving on air to beyond 130 ft--i.e., not recreational diving. Hence, it is a non-issue for recreational divers, as far as I am concerned.
Sorry, I didn't put Recreational divers in BOLD.

Prevention of DCS
Recreational divers
should dive conservatively, whether they are using dive tables or computers. Experienced divers often select a table depth (versus actual depth) of 10 feet (3 meters) deeper than called for by standard procedure. This practice is highly recommended for all divers, especially when diving in cold water or when diving under strenuous conditions. Computer divers should be cautious in approaching no-decompression limits, especially when diving deeper than 100 feet (30 meters). Avoiding the risk factors noted above (deep / long dives, exercise at depth or after a dive) will decrease the chance of DCS occurring.

Is that more clear?

I will try to remember to not exercise too hard while I'm diving the Revillagigedo Islands this fall. Oh, I am not sure what I will do if the conditions become too strenuous in these remote island. Should I stay out of the water when the whale skarks show up? :confused:Oh My!

Ok so here is what it says in the Galileo Luna manual under breathing sensitivity.

"The sensitivity of the workload calculation to changes in breathing patterns can be adjusted in 25 steps: this has an effect on how the algorithm accounts for changes in breathing pattern in the decompression calculation."

The Galileo Sol combines the input from both breathing sensitivity and heart monitor in its workload calculations.

Ok so here is what it says in the Galileo Luna manual under breathing sensitivity.

"The sensitivity of the workload calculation to changes in breathing patterns can be adjusted in 25 steps: this has an effect on how the algorithm accounts for changes in breathing pattern in the decompression calculation."

The Galileo Sol combines the input from both breathing sensitivity and heart monitor in its workload calculations.

But what formula/algorithm is it following? Is this something published in scientific journal or did they just make it up ?

The deco formula is listed as ZH-L8 ADT. The modifier that reduces the allowed time based on workload isn't listed in the manual.
I don't know off hand of any study's or printed research to support their decompression algorithm compensation. It's been in use in their computers since 1995. Damn Scubapro fly by night jerks just make up crap to try and make us safer. If you don't like it ok. If someone else uses it as a tool to make divers safer that's ok to.

This topic is about the breathing rate and relation to DCI...

are you people suggesting that if i am a naturally heavy/fast breader (despite the fact that my heart is beating at a normal rate), everything else being equal... are you saying that my risk of DCI is higher?...

You will need to show me more than a page in a manual, and a single incident (one in which the error was possibly corrected by a proven method; diving enriched air), for me to even thing about that.

. Isn't it more likely that the switch from 21% O2 (or Air) to 32% EAN would result in not having further incidents?
Certainly, switching to 32% is part of the success. However, EAN alone doesn't solve the risk of the bends.

Workload affects the amount of O2 metabolised and the amount of CO2 produced as a result. If workload is sufficiently high, it also affects the rate at which blood flows.

The rate at which N2 is absorbed by tissues is driven by the pressure gradient between inspired ppN2 and tissue tension of N2. The greater the depth, the greater the pressure, the greater the inspired ppN2. Nitrox reduces the inspired ppN2 by decreasing the fraction of N2 in the breathing gas. The total amount of N2 absorbed is determined by pressure and time.

The volume of gas consumed (ie the breathing rate) has absolutely no effect on the rate at which gas is dissolved into blood and thence tissue. The rate at which the blood is moving MIGHT very slightly affect the rate at which N2 is carried to tissues, but the speed with which N2 is getting into the blood in the lungs is still going to be by far the most important factor and that is entirely independent of how fast a diver is breathing or their heart is pumping. The amount of CO2 produced might have a very slight effect on efficiency of inert gas elimination and breathing efficiency in general. Unless you're Dave Shaw diving a CCR that wasn't designed for it to a depth of 270m, of course, at which point it becomes extremely meaningful, although completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The actual volume of free inert gas involved in a bend is miniscule. Orders of magnitude smaller than the volumes passing through a diver's lungs with every breath. Breathing rate has absolutely nothing to do with DCS. Pressure changes have to do with DCS. A properly planned and conducted ascent will, most of the time, be sufficient to prevent DCS. The rest of the time, well, that's just sheer bad luck and a consequence of the fact that very little is understood about the mechanisms behind the problem - certainly not enough to formulate computer models that will make you safer by voodooing NDLs according to how fast you breathe.

Buy all the computers you like, but you'd be as well off choosing one that changes NDL according to phases of the moon or alignments of the stars. And claiming that it was a computer, rather than switching to air profiles on 32% (and almost certainly more conservative air profiles, at that) that prevented someone from further DCS events? Let's face it, it's a bit of a stretch.

BD, you never did give us the specifics of the dive profiles from the 90s that earned her a chamber ride.
Actually, it is in post #1 of this thread:

"We had an older female diver get a "hit" after doing two long 50' - 60' dives in Cozumel. She had a long surface interval 1.5 hours. She was diving 21% O2."

"The volume of gas consumed ( ie breathing rate ) has absolutely no effect on the rate at which gas is dissolved in blood and thence tissue." Your quote I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom