”Brilliant” product!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999

Who needs training? Let’s go diving.

Innovative!

Well, judging from just the video, it's not the worst idea we've seen. I would hope it comes with a big print warning sheet of does and don'ts if they're going to sell these to the public without formal training. Will be interesting if they ever get this into production.

Why reinvent the wheel, Welcome to Brownie's Third Lung! The leader in Surface Air Supplied Air - often refer as Hookah Diving!, been making hookahs for 40 or 50 years now. Good at it too!

No dive training required

Technically there is no dive training required for scuba. Personally, I dove for 17 years without a c-card, and would have longer if I did not want to dive out of my area. The same thing can be done now, if you have your own compressor.

Bob

I would imagine it comes with a manual and instructions for use, like the scuba kit from Sears that I learned on. Considering the legal climate, they will probably put in a disclaimer for those who don't get formal training.

Bob

Doesn't look like they'll be disclaiming or selling anything any time soon based on the lack of interest.

As in my first post, Brownie's has been producing hookahs for decades and anyone wanting a quality product can get one now. They have been making them smaller over time.
Hand Carry Portable Hookah Diving Systems | VS Electric | Brownie's Third Lung

Bob
--------------
Has no affiliation with Brownie's, just used them several times and was pleased with their performance.

The concept is not new at all. I’ve “dived” this way maybe 15 years ago before getting certified. It was called “Snuba”. A cross between snorkeling and scuba diving. But this particular unit has nifty travel-friendly features. And maybe the cost of this one is within financial reach of recreational consumers (vacationers)?

Doesn't mean Snuba is any safer when done by untrained divers who might not know how to handle an emergency at depth and who might easily ascent the 6' or so while holding their breath that can result in a blown lung and an embolism.

Never said that...why did you think I said that? All I said was this unit is not a new concept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom