btw, jahjah...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You havent caught any flack because most of us havent seen you yet. just kidding.You did a good job on the paper though,nicely worded.

You havent caught any flack because most of us havent seen you yet. just kidding.You did a good job on the paper though,nicely worded.

haha!! :D I actually did run into some DIR folks who had read the paper in an unedited format, where I mentioned the store they worked for and how that was one of the places where I had had divers badmouth other shops.....I kind of tried to suck up to them and the DIR philosophy after that.... I have nothing against the philosophy, it just so happened that one of the times I have had divers spread lies and rumors about other shops came from a DIR diver. Another beatiful example would ahve been cited in my paper, but it did not occur until about two weeks ago....

btw, I work at Ginnie Springs. I've got short brown hair and a goatee, and if you hear a ridiculously cheesy pun, it's probably me. I do respond to my username, so if you are in the store there, ask if JahJah is around. Some of my coworkers know that I get called by that name and could find me, otherwise you should be able to find my real name in the article easy enough. Be glad to meet you all! And I'd love to get in some basic level dives with other divers, in particular I could use some help with my drysuit diving. I'm getting the hang of it but would love critique! (and if you are willing to meet up about when I get off, I'll get you in to dive with me for free :) )

Gibby, we did some freaking awesome basic dives at Ginnie today, but I guess you heard we were in town and headed for another state :(

Anyways, we had a blast, hopefully we'll meet up sometime in the future.

Honestly, when the parents told me they wanted me to go with the family to visit relatives for a week....I was nonplussed. However, after two months of work........I was ready for the break! Working at Ginnie gets to you in ways that working other places (lawncare, Wendy's, screenprinting, Subway, theatre technical work...) doesn't.

North Carolina might not have any caves, but it's not half bad getting away from Ginnie for a weekend here, and the place is rather nice and pretty :)

gibreal's Xanga Site
(There is a photo of me at the link above as well, I'm the guy on the left....obviously...)
ProjektionStudios's deviantART Gallery

Each link above has a few of the photos I've snapped this week...waterfalls, wildlife, a wedding party..... It's not cave country, but I like it up here.

I was told to avoid E.E,for the most part when I started caving.A friend of mine,Paul,embrased the DIR philosophy and works there now.I got nitrox for the first time there when I stopped in to see him.I like a variety of gear and they just didnt have anything I wanted.If ones got the money and time,the fundies course for a beginner would be alot better than a standard O.W class for sure.As far as the cave programs,the other agencies have a tried and true record of sound safe instruction.I plan on diving with Paul soon and am always ready to hear out new ideas.

I have no problem with EE, and I have tried to be careful recently to avoid letting it seem like I was badmouthing them. That's not my intent. There have been many, many, many, many divers who have badmouthed other divers or shops to me, it just so happened that I used that example in my paper. I could have used 50 others.....granted, 40 of them have happened since I got a job at Ginnie, chatting with divers. I have learned that the diving world in cave country has some very deep divides, usually based on incidences several years back. Frankly, I think it's ridiciulous.

There is a reason I took cavern and basic with Rich Courtney. He doesn't badmouth people. He'll lay out the facts of what happened, but then he'll say "but you know, I don't see what he/she has it out for me. I think we should all just get out and dive, you know? Put the politics behind us and have fun."

I know far more about cave divers as a people group now than I did when I wrote the paper, a fact I was discussing with my english teacher this last week when I gave her my copy of the magazine. I also know enough to know that I could never talk candidly about what I know now. It's a lot of stuff that just isn't talked about....

I like Rich and will go to CEE,when Im doing Ginnie.When in Luraville I usually go to C.E.W,because I like Bill.I occationally go to D.O,but have been snapped at a time or two that left me feeling a bit uneasy.I also like the curb service fills off my tailgate.If what you said about EE was true so be it.They have their loyal followers just like the rest,and another opinion probably wont keep them from going back.Ill look you up when Im at Ginnie next time...Randy

It was their employee that said something, not an official shop opinion or slogan. So I don't want to emphasize the fact that it was EE as much as I want to emphasize the fact that some employees at some shops would badmouth other shops.

For what it is worth, CEE had one employee once who treated me rather rudely. So I learned when he worked and stayed away from the shop when he was working. Great diver, famous diver, but I don't like his personality and it was enough to keep me away from the shop when I knew he was working.

I have been by CEW and DO but haven't shopped at either. I'm really hoping to get back out to Peacock pretty soon here and might....but right now I am being treated well by Rich at CEE and Wayne at Amigo's, and will probably keep getting gas there. Wayne helped me out of a bind during class, rebuilding my manifold for me one night, when I had BOTH posts leak and it was discovered that the previous owner who rebuilt the manifold did so without using the proper orings and instead just used two of the packing washers....Not only did Wayne fix it that night for me, but he showed me how it was done, and he didn't charge me much for it either. So I gladly point divers to both CEE and Amigo's when I tell them where they can get voodoo gas, since Ginnie doesn't have it.

Agreed,some personalitys just dont jive.There are certain people I avoid that others dont mind at all.Im sure there are some that dont care for me,but what you see is what you get.Nuthin foney or fancy.Just different minded people enjoying the same hobby.Scuba divers are a very small percentage of the general population and cavers are way smaller.

Extreme Exposure and Cave Excursions east have both treated me well. We're all lucky to have two excellent shops to go to in High Springs. Dustin @ steamboat in Branford is also a great guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom