Buddy Checks - Advice on How Long...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the dive and the person I'm diving with. It takes as long as it takes to satisfy the two of us that we're ready to go diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Air on is all I really care about.

If we get in the water and my buddy hasn't got his weight belt, then it's point and laugh time. Which is half the fun of diving.

I'm with 00wabbit. A buddy briefing should precede the buddy check. When did you last dive? Where? What's you experience level? What do you want to do on this dive? How do you like your gear? Yours or rental? How about air consumption? Who is going to follow who? What is your expectation for how close we stay to each other? Let's cover some basic commmunication signals. THEN a predive check, including the always embarassing " Is my air on?" I love Devon Diver's quote. I will use it in all classes from now on.
DivemasterDennis

If we get in the water and my buddy hasn't got his weight belt, then it's point and laugh time. Which is half the fun of diving.

The problem with this type of check is that some problems might not be a point and laugh issue. For example, if their backup regulator got wrapped around a shoulder strap, doesn't really matter if the air is on or not if it is needed.

DevonDiver's quote is great advice, and I tend to follow more in line with 00wabbit and DivemasterDennis above, especially if I'm diving with someone I've never been underwater with before.

And I'll tell you, after many years of diving, a simple buddy check - or a more in depth check as already mentioned above - BEFORE jumping into the water has prevented many problems and is the best segue into a great dive, which is what we strive for to start with, right?

This is still true today: Most all dive accidents and fatalities can be prevented on the surface.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 08:49 AM ----------

00wabbit, not only have I seen almost the exact scenario depicted here at our local fresh water hole, while completing a dive recently, I observed a diver enter the water fully geared up with his FRONT drysuit zipper partially unzipped! Indeed, his dive was cut very short! What was worse was that his dive buddy had ALREADY DESCENDED, leaving him to struggle on the surface while he tried to exit the water...... Here's your sign.....

The problem with this type of check is that some problems might not be a point and laugh issue. For example, if their backup regulator got wrapped around a shoulder strap, doesn't really matter if the air is on or not if it is needed.

I really don't have to worry about with the select few I would actually buddy with.

However a forgotten weight belt happens to the best of us and is still very funny when you get to point it out to your mate who has finally got his kit on and then realised.

I agree with Bob; it depends on the Dive (equipment) and who I'm diving with. How long it takes, just isn't an issue. It takes as long as it takes to satisfy both Divers.

I think that this statement warrants a bit of explanation. I want to check my Buddy and I want him to be convinced that he's been properly checked. Moreover, I want my Buddy to convince me that he knows what he's checking and physically show me that he is. A "this looks OK," just doesn't do it for me.

Although I consider myself experienced, I'm not infallible; I miss things from time to time (maybe it's Alzheimer's :)). I dive with a Buddy for a reason; it's important and I expect my Buddy to consider his role a duty. I expect my Buddy to be prepared (physically and by training) to rescue me, as required. If he's not, I'd rather dive solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom