Buddy Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told on several occasions to slow down during dives.
I thought I was going slow enough, but my buddies didn't think so.
Thinking about it for a while I found that I was using finning as a crutch for my buoyancy control.
Working on buoyancy, and making sure after each kick I came to a complete stop while staying neutral, helped me to slow down.
I've also found that unless your in current you only need small ankle movements to move along a reef.
Now I don't get told to slow down....as much:wink:

Thanks for pointing out those options... I definitely stop every once in a while and try to "hover" just to work on my buoyancy but when I'm not doing that I definitely kick fully, though slowly. I'll try the smaller kicks and see if that helps.

I use a "jogging arms" motion for "speed up I'm getting cold," fyi in case that comes up later.

Yeah I use the "hug myself" technique for "getting cold" which seems pretty intuitive to most people and it's one I make sure I talk to my buddy's about because I get cold easily, especially in our local quarry, though this past weekend it was a balmy 52 F at 44 feet. It was in the low 40s at that depth the first time I dove there.

Yeah I use the "hug myself" technique for "getting cold" which seems pretty intuitive to most people and it's one I make sure I talk to my buddy's about because I get cold easily, especially in our local quarry, though this past weekend it was a balmy 52 F at 44 feet. It was in the low 40s at that depth the first time I dove there.

What quarry???? Are you going into VA or MD??

What quarry???? Are you going into VA or MD??

Millbrook Quarry. It's in Haymarket(???) Near 15 and 66. I think from what I recall you go to Rawlings, which is a couple hours from us up here. Haven't been there yet.

Millbrook Quarry. It's in Haymarket(???) Near 15 and 66. I think from what I recall you go to Rawlings, which is a couple hours from us up here. Haven't been there yet.

You scared me, when you posted the 44 degrees. I had got 58 out at Rawlings last Sat. and I am heading there this weekend. I go wet and I am trying to get in the last few times before I wimp out.

I have looked at Millbrook a few times, I might be closer than Rawlings, but is it open all the time??? Rawlings is 2 hours from where I live, I have a ways to travel no matter where I go.

The slow one should hold on to the fast ones fin for a while. This should slow him down considerably and he should get the message right away.

The slow one should hold on to the fast ones fin for a while. This should slow him down considerably and he should get the message right away.

... or just hook a D-ring and let him tow you ... and start calling him "Scooter" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

GratefulDiver.... LOL scooter..

Back
Top Bottom